• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Love bird bond help

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
Hi all,

I’ve usually headed to these forums and browsed but decided to finally sign up.

I rehomed 2 love birds in August, they were an unsexed And bonded pair since I didn’t want one to be alone or need to rely on me. Peach(Fischer’s love bird) was completely feral, she did not like anyone or anything. Sonic, a blue masked love bird was different and I would probably say semi tame. I managed to get him to do step up, he will come over for treats but still not fly on me. This was always fine because they had each other and they would always fly back to their cage when they had enough.

When Sonic would come out, he would call for her and out she came.

We lost Peach (seizure) and the vet said she wasn’t right. The seizure lasted for too long and they couldn’t get diazepam down her. It absolutely broke my heart. Every day sonic calls for her and stops to wait for her responses. Every time he does it kills me. I have tried to give him lots of reassurance, extra treats and sat with him. He will sit on my shoulder and play with my hair but then will fly off to locate her it seems.

I don’t want him to be lonely. They shared a massive sized cage together and he’s in it all alone. When I put him in at night he will cling to the bars and look around. He won’t sleep where they used to. I did read on here that rearranging the cage might help, so of course I’ve done this but he still looks for her.

how long would you wait before getting him a friend? I don’t want a breeding pair and have no interest in that and no nest box so gender isn’t an issue, I just want him to be happy. I loved to watch them get up to no good. Very mischievous things.

I have a spare cage from my Quaker who is now in a much bigger cage so I am able to have the cages close so they can chatter as I would prefer to isolate the bird for 30 days as advised.

Attachments

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I’m so sorry. That must have been so heartbreaking.

I didn’t adopted my lovebirds together. But even though there is a risk of them not bonding, I wanted him to have someone that understood him in a way that I could not.
I don’t know if this is true. But it seems that lovebirds that are more bonded to another lovebird will have an easier time bonding to another bird again.
It sounds like you know what you are doing and want what is best for your bird. I would definitely look into getting another friend.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awww I´m so sorry to hear of your loss of Peach.

I really don´t know when is a good time to introduce another bird. I don´t think there is a right or wrong answer.
Just do what you think is right :)
Keep in mind, they may not bond and be able to live in one cage, but they would still be able to chatter to one another.

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
Thank you both. I will be having a look over the next few weeks as it’s not something to rush into. Hopefully Sonic will be okay in the meantime with lots of attention and millet. He has been treated like a king! Perhaps a bit too spoilt. He has been showing interest in the Quaker but he wants nothing to do with him so he’s definitely a little lonely.

thank you for your advice

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I'm so sorry about your loss :( what a heartbreaking thing to happen :sadhug:

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
It's also important that you take your time and look for another lovebird when you are ready for it as well.

Good luck! And we are always here to listen, help or think with you.

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
It's also important that you take your time and look for another lovebird when you are ready for it as well.

Good luck! And we are always here to listen, help or think with you.
Thank you.
It might need to wait a bit as the Quaker has decided he wants the smaller cage now.
really appreciate the advice and support

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sonics cage is close by so they can see each other but not get close enough until she has had a full health check this evening and finished her 30 days quarantine
Quarantine is broken.
Quanrantined birds should not be in the same room. Ideally they wouldn´t be in the sme home, but that is unrealistic for most people so having them in separate rooms with strict handwashing between handling birds is what most will opt for.

That´s a very beautiful lovebird! I would not have thought Pied so that´s very interesting.

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
Ahh crap. They haven’t touched or anything but I do live in a one bedroom flat! Separate rooms are very unrealistic as I stay up late and I like my birds to sleep 10+ hours :(

Chao is going to the vet in a few hours so hopefully all is well!

The lady in the shop said she is pied, at least that’s what she told me!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Chao is going to the vet in a few hours so hopefully all is well!
These are the things you will want to be sure they test him for;
**When bringing home a lovebird, it is important to have them tested for PBFD, Psittacosis and Polyoma by your avian vet.
I hope all goes smoothly :)

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
These are the things you will want to be sure they test him for;

I hope all goes smoothly :)
Thank you.
She’s in with the vet now, I can’t go in because of covid restrictions.
they have said she has a respiratory issue. They have prescribed antibiotics which I need to put in all of her water sources. If that doesn’t clear up then they want to take blood, X-ray and all that but she’s so stressed out so they want to do that first.

do you think this approach is okay?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
do you think this approach is okay?
I´m sorry, I don´t know the answer to that but if this were me and my bird, I would want them to treat the respiratory issue as priority, as they are advising you.

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
Yes, well they advised the tail Bob could be stress from the move but his advise was antibiotics or see if it settles, so I went with the antibiotics.

she has to have them in all of her bowls for three weeks. There are no other signs of illness, eyes and nose and fine, beak and nails are fine, wings are perfect so I think he is just being safe which is fine by me. She seems to like the taste of the water as she turned her head to the side and bolted up and proceeded to drink more. I then saw her playing with her toys and eating so I will be watching over her very closely.
I have moved sonic in my bedroom and I will just go to bed early for the next few weeks. Needs to be done.

Thank you for your advice