• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Loud breathing macaw? Need MI vet!!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
please check out the reviews on the frankenmuth vet if you are using that facility. I remember reading something about a female vet there. Absolute and important to have him vet checked. On the weird side, if there is no discharge and no other signs, he could be mimicking sounds...Grady learned that noise from his owner and he taught it to Louise... it is pretty specific and I have heard all. I now see another poster can see stuff around his nares, so not mimicking now, but you may still hear the noise when he is healthy...

It's medical. No doubt.

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
haha Ill make a new one tonight and leave it up for you guys, he isn't snotting at all however so wiping anything away isn't an issue. & I read up on frankenmuth and people left good reviews for care for their birds as far as i could see

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
but yeah he's definitely sick, not mimicking. i'm just trying not to panic.

No panic, we are here. I just want you to know it is urgent. Tomorrow over Tues is much better.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Well Brenna, I am highly anti-panic and have never seen panicking do anyone any good. You are doing fine and Remo, although he has an infection, is not super SICK. You would know if he were sick-sick because he wouldn't have any energy, wouldn't eat and would be sitting like a bump on a log fluffed up.

He's a beautiful, kind looking bird and you are lucky to have found him in time to care for him. He's lucky to have you too.

Thank you for taking this adult bird, in need into your heart and home.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
His breathing is MUCH better today. You can't hear the mucus rattling around in there so whatever you are doing is helping to keep him clearer.

Take a breath, this is a great improvement until you get to the vet.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
it's the worst when he's excited, otherwise he sounds fairly clear. but he's singing and laughing today which he wasn't doing yesterday, he seems to be in a better mood. eager to get him checked out so i can figure out what's really the matter.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Is that dried fruit he is eating in the video? If it is, with that vivid color (simulated to be fresh fruit) that would mean it has been treated with sulfur. Sulfur is not safe for our babies.

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
First off welcome and great that you have this new bird. When reading your post i thought it could just be a habit until you mentioned the discharge and then the breathing worried me a bit. I actually just adopted 2 african grays yesterday and the previous owner had just passed this past week and he was very sick for years. Both these birds are coughing up a storm and sneezing etc etc. It is not real they obviously learned this behavior from him. It scared the bejesus out of me when we left and were barely on the road for 10 minutes when i heard this old man cough in my car. Of course there was no old gentleman it was the birds mimicking his behavior. My own blue and gold will sneeze and say MAMA SICK and then i am suppose to say God bless you. So this is my portion of help hopefully its nothing serious. Good luck and hope you get a vet that can solve this issue.

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
ohh it's just in his food mix! I'll have to take those out and check over the ingredients. :o: I'll pick some of those up though because he seems to like them. Thank you!

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
also that fake coughing would have scared me so bad oh my goodness!! i'm glad you took them in that's so amazing

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
He's beautiful! Cheers on taking an adult bird into your home, he seems very sweet! I hope you're able to get his breathing issue sorted out soon! It's hard to not panic. :hug8:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
First off welcome and great that you have this new bird. When reading your post i thought it could just be a habit until you mentioned the discharge and then the breathing worried me a bit. I actually just adopted 2 african grays yesterday and the previous owner had just passed this past week and he was very sick for years. Both these birds are coughing up a storm and sneezing etc etc. It is not real they obviously learned this behavior from him. It scared the bejesus out of me when we left and were barely on the road for 10 minutes when i heard this old man cough in my car. Of course there was no old gentleman it was the birds mimicking his behavior. My own blue and gold will sneeze and say MAMA SICK and then i am suppose to say God bless you. So this is my portion of help hopefully its nothing serious. Good luck and hope you get a vet that can solve this issue.
I have friend that has rehomed cockatoo, 3 nights after she got him he developed this huge hacking cough in the middle of the night. she took the bird to the Emergency vet thinking he was very sick. they kept the bird over night, she called the next day to see how the bird was. the vet asked her to come in asap. she was huge panic thinking the bird didn't make thru the night. when she got there the vet asst brought the bird into the room. he was fine. the vet came and mimicked the hack cough, then bird did the same thing and the very end of the bird sound like it was choking you can the sound rescue inhaler being pushed. apparently the bird live with someone who had asthma. he still does it if he hears somebody breathing hard.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I have been following this thread, hoping for an easy fix and it isn't serious. My macaw came to me very sneezy and snotty, the vet advised us to put her in a steamy shower every day and she cleared up. She wasn't as bad as yours.

Imitating coughing and sneezing is one thing, but an FYI, if they imitate a growly stomach, it is a sign they have a stomach issue. They are imitating their own!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Please let us know how Remo is doing.