• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Loud breathing macaw? Need MI vet!!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Long shot in the dark but do you have any prescription eye drops in your house?

When my son got creepy crawly pink eye it was the same drops prescribed for my birds nasal drops.

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
his breathing is much quieter/steadier than in that video because he was excited and trying to get down onto my bed to play with the blankets, i know it's very bad but i'm trying to calm myself down right now.

i'm going to call vets first thing tomorrow to see if i can get ahold of any, also on Monday. hoping someone will take me fast. any words of reassurance?

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I hope you can find a vet that will help him :sadhug2:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
. any words of reassurance?

Warm, Calm and Moist. :bluhug:

He looks great but you want to get him in as soon as possible.

Keep us updated through tomorrow and let him get rest.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
feed him whatever food he is willing to eat, try oranges, lemons, limes, Vitamin C from fresh fruit. be calm as possible, get that vaporizer about 2 feet from the cage and run it 24/7. as many steamy showers as possible too. also liquids too I have friend who's macaw will drink fresh OJ, be worth a shot.

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
thank you!!

Warm, Calm and Moist. :bluhug:

He looks great but you want to get him in as soon as possible.

Keep us updated through tomorrow and let him get rest.
thank you so much. I will update you. he's resting now and his breathing sounds normal which is making me feel a little better. he sounds normal all night but in the day he's a sniffy mess, idk why. thank you all so much and I'll let you know how everything is tomorrow

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
feed him whatever food he is willing to eat, try oranges, lemons, limes, Vitamin C from fresh fruit. be calm as possible, get that vaporizer about 2 feet from the cage and run it 24/7. as many steamy showers as possible too. also liquids too I have friend who's macaw will drink fresh OJ, be worth a shot.
i'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I have a humidifier here, will that work? either way I'll get something going!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
make sure the humidifier is super super clean. my vet only recommend steam type vaporizer because the steam is sterilized. so many humidifiers have mold, fungus, bacteria growing in them.

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
I'll pick up a vaporizer just to be safe. I know I keep saying it but thank you all so much, you've all been so helpful and nice and I promise i'm doing all I can for him. I'll let you know how things do

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes humidifier, clean it well. :)

What else can we get ready for him? What is his diet? What's his cage like?

You are going to want high in vitamin A foods.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
think about when you have a cold, and your nose is runny. what do you do, blow it, well birds can't blow their noses. so they get runny nasty messes. and maybe why it's worst during the day is that you are noticing more.

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
his cage is pretty large and he's got a rope swing and 3 perches and 3 toys, 2 food dishes and 1 water dish that I clean and refill often but he spends a fair amount of time outside the cage. we are experimenting with food still because as far as I know the other owners only fed him apples and a store bought blend or some sort. currently he eats zupreem fruit blend and another zupreem food that I can't remember the name of at the moment. i give him a mix of fruits and veggies every day, sometimes egg whites and chicken in small amounts because I heard that was good. I try to give him foods rich in vitamin a but they seem to be the only foods he won't eat. I mix them with all his other fruits and he picks them out. :-( I will keep trying.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Warm mashed sweet potato with a bit of cinnamon :D Mmmm!!!

Coconut oil is loved by birds and is an antibacterial. Sprinkle some coconut oil over some of his foods.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
try this you show him that you are eating it, make a big deal about how nummy it is. carrots, sweet potatoes are high in Vitamin A. I cook sweet potatoes, then mash them up and add a little pineapple juice (100% juice no sugar) to it. my tiel loves it.

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
I'll give that a shot! he seemed to like sweet potato ok but wouldn't eat much of it.

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
I have to sleep now because I have work in the morning (my mom will be here to take care of the bird child) but thank you guys again. today i learned that remo needs an antibiotic and that I need an anti-anxiety.

goodnight everyone and i will update you tomorrow morning

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Cinnamon also has some anti bacterial properties in it too. So does Ginger