• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Liver Disease? Graphic poop picture warning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Just checking on our Pete :heart:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
He just came home:) He refused to eat anything there so they thought I did better with him here. However, he was fed with the critical care formula (it's not baby hand feeding formula) 4x while he was there so at least he got nutrition in him. If he isn't eating tomorrow though he will be going back on Monday. Oh, this is terrible:( We are all glad he's back home but if he doesn't eat I'm going to be so worried.

Can someone explain to me why one critical care feeding cost me $50, but 4 of them and spending the night at the vet's was only $65? :rolleyes: Well, at least I know if he has to stay it won't bankrupt me.

Bri, there are some photos of Merlin in the Grey section from her hatch day last week. I don't have many of Pete or Rowdy posted though. Rowdy hates having her picture taken and often flies and attacks the camera. Most photos I have of her she looks like an angry witch, lol!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Audrey - "Can someone explain to me why one critical care feeding cost me $50, but 4 of them and spending the night at the vet's was only $65?:rolleyes: Well, at least I know if he has to stay it won't bankrupt me."

Because you, like I, have a Vet who cares about you and your birds.

I put Jasper back on Milk Thistle and started hand feeding her once a day and the yellow in her urates has gone away. I am feeling good that your care will get Pete out of the woods, so you can work on his long term health.

ML

brilywi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bri
He just came home:) He refused to eat anything there so they thought I did better with him here. However, he was fed with the critical care formula (it's not baby hand feeding formula) 4x while he was there so at least he got nutrition in him. If he isn't eating tomorrow though he will be going back on Monday. Oh, this is terrible:( We are all glad he's back home but if he doesn't eat I'm going to be so worried.

Can someone explain to me why one critical care feeding cost me $50, but 4 of them and spending the night at the vet's was only $65? :rolleyes: Well, at least I know if he has to stay it won't bankrupt me.

Bri, there are some photos of Merlin in the Grey section from her hatch day last week. I don't have many of Pete or Rowdy posted though. Rowdy hates having her picture taken and often flies and attacks the camera. Most photos I have of her she looks like an angry witch, lol!
Angry conures are the best :cool: I will be sure to go check those out!

Also, I think sometimes if you or your animal is going through a hard time, vets will sometimes give discounts to help out a bit. My vet does this with my dogs, but we have also been going to him for about twenty years. He will usually round down to the nearest hundred and sometimes even thousand depending on what went on. My dog had hypothermia at one point and was in their ICU for quite a while and he gave us a huge discount on fluids and other care he needed.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I've been using my dog/cat vet for 23 years and they often only charge me for the shot with her IBD and not an office visit:)

brilywi

Real Name
Bri
I've been using my dog/cat vet for 23 years and they often only charge me for the shot with her IBD and not an office visit:)
My vet charges for office visits and shots and such but he gives big discounts when something major happens that requires surgery. We had to have both dogs in this year to get teeth removed and he gave a discount since we had already been in about a month prior for the same thing. During october his office also gives discounts on dental work so we got a small chunk off the dogs teeth cleaning :D

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Hey, Pete started yelling and barking while I was making the birds' dinner! And he ate some carrots, corn and walnut. I'm sure hoping he starts eating again.

He was very angry with me over the vet thing apparently. He was all sweet with me there and when we got home. Then when I walked past him to go get us all lunch he displayed and lunged at me. It took me awhile to coax him back out of his cage this afternoon for some lovin's. He finally came out but he didn't want to sit with me, he wanted to sit on the back of the couch. So I just let him do that for awhile and then he said he wanted to be petted. So I petted him but he still didn't want to step up for me. Eventually he did and then cuddled with me for a bit.

Meds in a little while here are not going to be fun:(

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
And Bri, here are some recent photos of Pete and Rowdy for you:

brilywi

Real Name
Bri
Glad that Pete's feeling better!! :heart:

Also, Rowdy :heart: :swoon:

Pete's cute too, just... conures! :swoon: Thats all I have to say for myself :hehe:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Glad that Pete's feeling better!! :heart:

Also, Rowdy :heart: :swoon:

Pete's cute too, just... conures! :swoon: Thats all I have to say for myself :hehe:
You really need to convince your roommates to let you have a conure:) How about a quieter one like a GCC or Black Capped? I'll be the first to tell you Rowdy is a big mouth. I don't mind, but other people aren't real fond of her, lol!

brilywi

Real Name
Bri
You really need to convince your roommates to let you have a conure:) How about a quieter one like a GCC or Black Capped? I'll be the first to tell you Rowdy is a big mouth. I don't mind, but other people aren't real fond of her, lol!
Its more of convincing my family that I *ahem* need a bird. My conure obsession is really quite unhealthy. Its not a noise issue, just more of a "OMG we need to stop using teflon?! :( and CLEANERS?!" that is the real problem. I honestly would be fine with any conure coming into my home; it just so happens that GCCs and nandays are tied for first place in my heart. It makes me sad that they are unwilling to give up these things for me to foster my love for birds, but they have said once the teflon on our pans wears off they will go ahead and get stainless steel :D So when I cook I might be a little bit... rougher with the pans :angel3: The cleaning products being an issue is just the one I'm stumped on, as I'm the one that does most of the cleaning :huh: and I don't have a problem with switching to water and vinegar or some other bird safe cleaner.

BUT until the pans wear out, I'm happy enough stalking conures on here and as the seasons change I'll get to play more with our GCC at the zoo since she cant be outside in the aviary below a certain temperature so that makes me happy :D I think I would be over the moon though if I had a conure :heart:

Has Pete forgiven you yet for leaving him at the vet?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Pete has forgiven me apparently because he's sticking his tongue out at me, did his "batman" thing and is saying, "A ba ba ba" and "Hello, dear." That will change though in about 10 minutes when I give him his meds:(

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I'm so sorry to read about Pete's liver problems. It's good to see that he's eating on his own, & is playing w/his toys again. Thank goodness you caught this as soon as you did! Lots of love to you both!:hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I wish I had caught it a year ago, but I used a different vet then who told me his blood panel came back normal. Although, who knows, maybe it did. Now I have a very good, avian vet and she explained to me that without avian training there is a huge spectrum listed for these tests as "normal" just for the simple fact that we used to really know nothing about birds. Someone with that extra training in avian science can look at the numbers and draw better conclusions.

Although I also suppose a year ago there isn't much different that would have been done except to add the milk thistle/dandelion. I did get him on pellets right away and started getting him on fruits and veggies.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Thought I'd update that Pete started eating pellets today and ate more today than he has for a week. That's the good news.

The bad news is he is very angry with me over the meds and getting him out today was a 2 hour affair this morning!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
He'll get over it. And he might just come to enjoy all of the attention, like H&J did.

Glad he's feeling better. If you get a chance can you see what the ratio oof Milk Thistle to Dandelion is with Pete's meds and let me know. I've always given straight Milk Thistle, but would like to try the combination.

Thanks
ML

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Mary Lynn, I will have to ask the vet. All the bottle says is "milk thistle/dandelion combo". I need to call them in the morning to let them know Pete is in fact eating so I will ask for you.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
They always put everything into those little dosage bottles for me to make it easy to get it in a syringe, then put their own label on. It's also possible it's a pill that they broke open and mixed with sterile water. That's what Merlin's Celebrex is and she also gets vitamin C when her sinuses get icky and I know that is also a capsule. So yes, I will have to ask what the ratio is. When I saw your question, I went and looked at it and of course it doesn't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.