• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Liver Disease? Graphic poop picture warning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How's Pete doing? Jasper is showing signs of going into liver distress - I'm sure it's from lack of oxygen.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Have you thought about giving him formula?:)
I'm not sure he would willingly eat it. He's wild caught, and he can be weird about mushy foods. But, I think that's part of what the vet was giving him with the tube feeding. Right now though my goal is to get him to eat anything so I don't have to keep carting him to the vet at $50 a pop for tube feeding. Aside from the cost, there is the stress of 2 hours in a truck and being handled and force fed.

How's Pete doing? Jasper is showing signs of going into liver distress - I'm sure it's from lack of oxygen.
I'm sorry about Jasper. I'm not familiar with his story being pretty new to the forum. :hug8: to him and you as well.

I haven't gotten Pete up yet this morning. But since he actually ate last night and played with a toy I'm trying to be hopeful he is feeling better.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Well, he wanted to play with a foot toy this morning first thing rather than eat. Then he finally ate all of 2 almonds and now he's napping again. I just wish he would start eating some normal food already. It's good he's playing a bit, and eating something though.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Well, I decided this morning to take Pete to the vet to stay until he starts eating regularly again. He is barely eating and I've pretty much run out of things to try to get him to eat. So he will receive tube feeding and his meds there until he is ready to come home. At this point we are thinking Monday. I think since he feels nauseated he thinks it's the food causing it. So he will eat something one day and then refuse to eat that anymore. Then the next thing he eats, same thing happens, he won't eat that again.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
:grouphug2:We are all praying for your bird. I just purchased an extract from Kathie that is a combo of milk thistle and dandelion for liver health. Rosie does not have a problem in that area but I may give her drop or two weekly, prophylacticly to help detox but just the milk thistle.
I do this myself as a detox.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Oh Roxie, I hope Petes ok. Keep us posted :hug8:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
That's too bad Pete has to stay at the vet. I sure hope he feels better soon.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I just didn't know what else to do. He will no longer eat pellets, Nutriberries, bread, pasta, nuts, fruit or veggies. I was down to bribing him with unhealthy things like unfrosted blueberry Poptarts. Obviously I don't want him eating stuff like that. I felt like I would have him eating cookies or potato chips today just to get food in him, which is not good for him at all.

It was hard to leave him there. He was so sad and I almost burst into tears. I am now:(

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
If anyone reading this has a bird on a seed diet, this is why they should be eating pellets and healthy foods. I was hoping I adopted Petey in time to avoid this for him, but I didn't. In his previous home he was eating seeds, peanuts and lasagna. If you have a seed junkie it truly is imperative to get it on a good, pelleted diet and fresh foods.

Tigra

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Wendy
:crycry: Oh, you have got me crying now as well :crycry: Dont worry Audrey, Pete will be fine! He is in good hands :hug8::hug8:

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
I'm trying Roxie, Merlin has been given fresh vegetables EVERY DAY since April '11. He rarely takes more than a nibble. He was always given pellets, just lost interest when he decided that seeds were so yummy. I have weaned him mostly off of seed, but he does eat alot of table food that I know isnt good for him. You know it would almost be worth me getting another bird that is a good eater to show him what he's missing. :(

I've been watching this thread wondering if thats me in a few years :(

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
:crycry: Oh, you have got me crying now as well :crycry: Dont worry Audrey, Pete will be fine! He is in good hands :hug8::hug8:
Your cat and "bump" story cheered me up a bit and made me laugh:)

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I'm trying Roxie, Merlin has been given fresh vegetables EVERY DAY since April '11. He rarely takes more than a nibble. He was always given pellets, just lost interest when he decided that seeds were so yummy. I have weaned him mostly off of seed, but he does eat alot of table food that I know isnt good for him. You know it would almost be worth me getting another bird that is a good eater to show him what he's missing. :(

I've been watching this thread wondering if thats me in a few years :(
I do think it can help seeing other birds and people eating healthy foods. Pete led a very weird and sheltered life. He watches the other birds for ideas. Rowdy has taught him how to play. Merlin has taught him that cuddling and petting is totally awesome.

Have you tried cooking the veggies? That seems to help. They all seem to like them steamed to where they are just a little crisp. I then let them cool down so they aren't hot but are still warm. I have also stood in front of Pete eating stuff and saying, "Oh, it's soooo gooood! Yuuuummm." and then he will often at least try what I'm showing him. And now he is at the point where if he sees me eating it, he wants to be offered a bit.

He still won't eat everything though. We haven't gotten anywhere with broccoli yet even though Rowdy sucks it up like candy and Merlin will at least eat a bit.

Becky, if Merlin is eating pellets, you have most of the battle down I think. At least they do contain everything a bird needs. Yes, the cells in fresh foods are better, but at least he isn't primarily pigging out on seeds. Try some other things as well like spaghetti with tomato sauce (you can sneak a couple of drops of canola oil into the sauce for some extra omegas), brown rice, healthier nuts, whole grain breads or cereals. Once he starts eating that stuff, maybe he will start eating some veggies. Maybe try something mushy like pureed squash.

Last edited:

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hope your Pete starts to feel better soon, maybe the vet needs to change meds that don't make him so nauseated.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Hope your Pete starts to feel better soon, maybe the vet needs to change meds that don't make him so nauseated.
The nausea is probably from his liver:( But, if his liver settles down from being given the formula hopefully he will start eating again. I know how he feels because I have chronic pancreatitis. Sometimes I don't want to eat either, but at least I can do clear liquids like Jello to get things calmed down again. It's also not as big of a deal for me to go a day without eating as it is for our high metabolism birdies. I so wish I could explain all this to him. Let's hope a few days of formula get him feeling right again.

brilywi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bri
:hug8: to you and Pete! I hope he starts feeling better and he can pull through :heart:

Audrey, you need to post some pics of your flock. They all seem so interesting and cute, especially Pete and Merlin. But I wouldn't turn down photos of Rowdy, I'm secretly obsessed with conures.

Status
Not open for further replies.