• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Little moments like this are worth a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's destroyed all my bracelets and necklaces. There must be bird-proof jewelry out there. Hmmm....

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
He's destroyed all my bracelets and necklaces. There must be bird-proof jewelry out there. Hmmm....
Start making yourself necklaces out of cheerios ... I lost alot of fine chains for pendants to my tiels and other birds.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe leather strips with large beads on them for him to chew also? Java is looking good though and he's obviously settling in well with you.
Thank you :heart:He's still sitting with me, watching tv. And would leather strips from a craft store be safe? As far as beads, should I use wood, plastic, etc.?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Personally, I prefer trying to use natural materials like leather or wood though plastic beads are brighter in colour. But you can find shapes (butterfly, flower, etc.) stamped out of leather with a hole in the middle to use on a string or leather strip. If he's a chewer consider wood pices on twine or leather in his cage. Food dye is safe to use if you want to die wood pieces a different colour.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:rofl: He loves you & may need calcium...are those seashells?

Precious momenta as he add his JAva Signature to t=your necklace!

Such a cutie!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:rofl: He loves you & may need calcium...are those seashells?

Precious momenta as he add his JAva Signature to t=your necklace!

Such a cutie!
Lol I don't think they're seashells. My grandma gave them to me some years ago. He always goes for the necklace or the collar of my shirt lol

Attycakes

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
I have had this image saved on my pinterest for ages as inspiration haha
I have the same issue with my Sennies, they love anything I am wearing and like to test how their beak grinds it.
Unfortunately just a little grind can cause it to snap most of the time!
Maybe you have a craft project in your future?? :)

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I only have experience with Chirp so I don't know what bigger beaks like, but maybe something like poly rope or veggie tanned leather, maybe some leather rounds would interest him?
I have had this image saved on my pinterest for ages as inspiration haha
I have the same issue with my Sennies, they love anything I am wearing and like to test how their beak grinds it.
Unfortunately just a little grind can cause it to snap most of the time!
Maybe you have a craft project in your future?? :)

Ohh, that's so cool! If Chirp was more cuddly I'd make that. The walking playstand!:D

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I could make you some birdie proof necklaces and bracelets if you want xD
If my sister's Hahns couldn't destroy them I don't think Java can either.
Yes, please, that would be great!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I only have experience with Chirp so I don't know what bigger beaks like, but maybe something like poly rope or veggie tanned leather, maybe some leather rounds would interest him?

Ohh, that's so cool! If Chirp was more cuddly I'd make that. The walking playstand!:D
I'll look into that. He loves untying knots. Thank you

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Hahaha! Your face says it all. :hug8: We've all had our "oh well" moments. Hugs to you and your perseverance.

Luv Bug used to bite me a little bit, so I wore a feather boa around the house for her to preen until I started clipping plastic links together instead. (Links are a lot less itchy!) You could get a stainless steel chain or big, plastic beads that are hard to break. If you do go the wooden bead route, I'd worry the colorful ones might transfer some of the dye to your skin or clothes.

Now that she's stopped biting, we keep sandwich tupperware containers (low, wide & harder to tip) by us with beads and toy parts for her to play with. I do have to pick them up several times a day, but they keep her occupied & happy. :tup:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lol that is a face of defeat. No matter which way I turned, he was going to chew my necklace lol he gets really mad when I tuck them in the collar of my shirt or take them off lol

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'll look into that. He loves untying knots. Thank you
If he's mechanical you could make a necklace out of quick links with beads on those. Bug fixates on unscrewing the links, takes off the beads & puts then back. :laugh: I like using either open plastic links or quick links or a mix because if he bites through one, you can just clip the others back together. (Always add a few extra to save you some trips to your stockpile to add more. :rolleyes: )

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he's mechanical you could make a necklace out of quick links with beads on those. Bug fixates on unscrewing the links, takes off the beads & puts then back. :laugh: I like using either open plastic links or quick links or a mix because if he bites through one, you can just clip the others back together. (Always add a few extra to save you some trips to your stockpile to add more. :rolleyes: )
He's very mechanical. He'll spend hours untying knots and taking off those little plastic baby links just to drop them to the floor and study his handiwork before moving on to the next. He waits for me to pick them up and try to put them back before he yanks them out of my hand and tosses them lol

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Maybe something like this as a base? Then just go to your local craft store (with a mobile coupon) to buy beads big enough to fit over the ends. Some clasps can be a bit large.
Kissyan Stainless Steel 2mm to 5mm Twist Rope Chain Necklace For Unisex Adult 16 to 32 Inch Option (3.0 mm-16 inch) | Amazon.com

It doesn't have to be pretty. As soon as I get home, my wedding ring has to come off & go straight to the same safe place or the birds will try to pry out the diamond. :bored: Just keep your bird necklace next to where you keep your purse. You pick up your purse, the necklace comes off; you set down your purse the necklace goes on. :)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He's very mechanical. He'll spend hours untying knots and taking off those little plastic baby links just to drop them to the floor and study his handiwork before moving on to the next. He waits for me to pick them up and try to put them back before he yanks them out of my hand and tosses them lol
Hmmm... your vasa sounds a lot like a goffins. :chin: You might find some helpful ideas on the Cockatoo Causeway!
Beware the Elvis threads!! :nervous:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe something like this as a base? Then just go to your local craft store (with a mobile coupon) to buy beads big enough to fit over the ends. Some clasps can be a bit large.
Kissyan Stainless Steel 2mm to 5mm Twist Rope Chain Necklace For Unisex Adult 16 to 32 Inch Option (3.0 mm-16 inch) | Amazon.com

It doesn't have to be pretty. As soon as I get home, my wedding ring has to come off & go straight to the same safe place or the birds will try to pry out the diamond. :bored: Just keep your bird necklace next to where you keep your purse. You pick up your purse, the necklace comes off; you set down your purse the necklace goes on. :)
That's a really good idea.:heart: I'm going to try it. The things we do for our birds and because of our birds :rolleyes::hehe:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmmm... your vasa sounds a lot like a goffins. :chin: You might find some helpful ideas on the Cockatoo Causeway!
Beware the Elvis threads!! :nervous:
I've heard about Elvis and Milton lol I'm intrigued

Status
Not open for further replies.