• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lethargic bird watery poops

Clared123

Moving in
Real Name
Clare Duncan
Hi guys,
My little kakariki zazu suddenly got unwell today, she became suddenly lethargic. She’s just very fluffed up and sleepy but still is drinking and eating a small amount not much but she still is eating. My main concern is her poops are very watery, with the white uric acid in it. I can’t call a vet until tomorrow morning, any advice?
Thank you

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Are there any emergency vets nearby? Lethargic is a big red flag for something going on

Clared123

Moving in
Real Name
Clare Duncan
No unfortunately not, she’s still flying around as normal if she wants to go somewhere around the house but just not her normal self

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Birds thst present like this are often 24-48 hrs from death. I wasn't this blunt last time , and I regret that because the bird died.

You must get seen in the morning. Azithromycin is s very fast acting antibiotics in birds

Birds will fly around until on very last leg. They will do anything to hide how sick they are. It's hard wired , not a choice

Sick birds with any symptoms should be kept caged to conserve energy. Supplemental warmth is very important. Offer what ever they will eat. Seeds , treats what ever

Clared123

Moving in
Real Name
Clare Duncan
Thank you I will ring them straight away in the morning,
Do you think it could be infection?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It often is , but I can't know. Plus you've provided limit information. Age, diet, other birds , new birds. But even with that information most health issues share the same symptoms. I'm not a vet. Pretty difficult to figure out over the Internet

Diarrhea or very watery stool is much more serious in birds, they get in trouble very rapidly compared to mammals.

You can offer a little applesauce if will take , or just some diced up apple. It helps replace water. Do not under any circumstances try to force water or syringe water.

I always put bottled water in their water dishes , just incsase tap water was/is contaminated with coliform bacteria, it happens.

I check all feed for mold or spoilage . I had unknown spoiled seeds once I wasn't aware of till my GCC got sick and checked.

I stop all fresh veggies,/leafy greens/ fresh fruit incsse contaminated. Especially if one was just bought or used.

Warmth is very important, even if you have to turn up the whole house heat to 78-80

Or If you don't have a bird safe radiant heat panel , preferred, I believe every parrot owne r should have. You can with caution put a light sheet on back or top of cage and set a heating pad or clip.a heating pad to outside . Fire hazard awareness. Being sure bird is able to move set from that dude if the cage it out from under if you put on top of cage. I do not ever put a heating pad inside of cage .
I put towel on bottom of cage in case over night can't perch

Last edited:

Clared123

Moving in
Real Name
Clare Duncan
Thanks. She’s 5 now I’ve had her since she was 8 weeks old. I have a cockatiel too but they are always separated
I haven’t gave her any veg since I thought it might be too much water as she is still drinking her usual amount of water she would drink.
The only thing she seems to want to eat right now is seeds which are fresh. Right now she’s comfy in her cage with a warm blanket over the cage. Poops are still watery with barely any actual stool in it.
Is it best to leave her to sleep for the night?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Yes. Let her sleep

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Any chance this is an egg? Any hormonal behavior? Any straining seen?

Clared123

Moving in
Real Name
Clare Duncan
No not an egg she hasn’t tried best building or bopping her tail.
Unfortunately the vet can’t see her until tomorrow and it’s the only exotic vet around but she seems better this morning she’s eating a lot but still very sleepy so fingers crossed

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Glad you got her to vets let us know how she goes on

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
How's she doing?

vamador1

Moving in
@Clared123 please respond, what treatment did vet give her ? Is she okay? My cockatiel has the same symptoms started 5 hours ago he is outside it’s been around 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit I’m really scared I love him too much I had him 3 years he eats a little bit too but only when I wake him up

Clared123

Moving in
Real Name
Clare Duncan
Hi, the vet never gave her anything she got better by herself. All I did was keep her in the cage warm and let her sleep. If he’s outside bring him in he needs to be warm and bring him to a vet.
Make him warm and comfy and make some boiled egg for him to keep his nutrients up, I hope he’s okay.

Clared123

Moving in
Real Name
Clare Duncan
Did you bring him inside to keep him warm? Is he okay