• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lemon essential oil

Shanny

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a two-year-old green cheek and a mouse has taken up residence in our house. I have tried three different traps and several different baits and have yet to catch this mouse. I've come across several posts that lemon essential oil is a good repellant. It suggests mixing a few drops in your mop water. I've seen a dozen posts about the dangers of using an oil diffuser but has anybody used pure organic essential oils in their mop water?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I would not use any essential oils around my birds, and to be completely honest, after living in an area that has constant mice issues (grain growing area) I can assure you that all these home remedies of peppermint oil, other essential oils, bay leaves, talcum powder etc do not work to rid of the mouse issue.
If you know where the mouse is travelling through your home you can place a peanut butter or melted chocolate baited snap trap along one of the walls it is following and you will catch it- most times traps fail is because the bait used was not something mice are really interested in or the trap was incorrectly set or placed.

Shanny

Checking out the neighborhood
I would not use any essential oils around my birds, and to be completely honest, after living in an area that has constant mice issues (grain growing area) I can assure you that all these home remedies of peppermint oil, other essential oils, bay leaves, talcum powder etc do not work to rid of the mouse issue.
If you know where the mouse is travelling through your home you can place a peanut butter or melted chocolate baited snap trap along one of the walls it is following and you will catch it- most times traps fail is because the bait used was not something mice are really interested in or the trap was incorrectly set or placed.
I currently have traps baited with peanut butter along the path I have seen the mouse. He/She hasn't touched one yet. They've been refreshed every two days for several weeks.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
You could try cheese or even bacon, if you’re sure the mouse is still in residence.