• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leaving lovebirds alone for vacation

Rick230911

Moving in
Hello, I'm currently leaving for a trip of 4 days and 3 nights. I have 2 lovebirds, one green and yellow. If they have sufficient water and food, would they be stressed over the days?
Only day 2 and 3 I won't be able to see them.
Nobody is avaliable to help me care for my lovebirds over the vacation.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Do you have a veterinarian that can board them for that time? Birds absolutely need fresh food and water every day. You cannot leave them with food and water that is going to sit around.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
You don't need someone to let them out, they only need to refill food and water. Could a neighbor do it?
Definitely check with your vet, too.
You can also set up a video camera so you can see them any time.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
A neighbor? Friend? Vet? I even hired a sitter from Care.com when I had my cockatiel. I wouldn't leave them that long with no one checking on them.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Surely you have a friend or co-worker. The video camera idea is great. There are lots of "Nanny Cams" on the market! It probably won't but if something does go wrong...

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I routinely leave my birds for three days with multiple water tubes and a dish full of pellets.

Rick230911

Moving in
I live in Singapore and sorry I'm quite young haha I'm just worried about the 2 birds

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My rule of thumb is this - if you wouldn't leave a 2-3 year old child at home by itself then you shouldn't do it to your bird companions.

Rick230911

Moving in
True but I really have no choice. I hope the 2 birds can entertain each other over the 2 days :/

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I hope they do not tip or soil their water or food in the time you are away. Surely you can have a neighbor drop in once a day to check on them and give them fresh water and food?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What I'm more worried is about the temperature.. Singapore is usually warm
Do you not have grandparents, neighbors, school friends, people in the community you know? I am sure if you actually ask someone (anyone) to help out for a few days that you will find a better option than leaving them abandoned for close to a week. A lot of things can and do happen in very short times and it is very unfair to leave your birds in the situation you have mentioned. I am sorry and I do not mean to sound rude but I would honestly hate for you to come home to find your birds dead because they tipped their water over or because it got too hot for them while they were locked away on their own.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Small birds in a cage will really be quite fine for several days, the biggest issue is multiple water sources that won't soil, I use tubes out of the cage, and plenty of dry food. Paired birds will keep each other company. I wouldn't leave a single bird alone like that.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
My rule of thumb is this - if you wouldn't leave a 2-3 year old child at home by itself then you shouldn't do it to your bird companions.
I agree