• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leaning on one leg

Budgiemaz89

Moving in
So, yesterday I noticed by budgie (Jack, who I have had for 9 years) favouring his right leg and sort of hobbling on his right leg as he moved around his cage. I had read somewhere that this could be a sign of a dangerous underlying issue so I took him to the vet the same day. She prescribed him an anti-inflammatory (Metacam) which is administered orally in the evening and morning for 5 days (0.01ml) in case he had just hurt himself flying around/climbing. So far he has had one dose yesterday evening and one this morning.

However, today I've noticed that his leg seems to be worse. Whereas yesterday he did have both feet on the perch, he is now holding his left foot up the majority of the time. When I pressed on his foot (very lightly), he reached out to bite me, which I assume means he is in pain (or I might just have annoyed him)? Yesterday morning he also seemed a lot more chirpy and he hasn't eaten a whole lot since yesterday (now that I'm thinking about it I can't recall him eating anything before we left to go to the vet at 3.30pm and he didn't have anything after; we got back at 6pm). He has had a nibble but it took me holding the food literally at his beak. He has had some water (which I had to deliver to him too).

The vet did say that it could very possibly be testicular cancer. She said to keep him on the anti-inflammatory for the next few days but that if he did worsen to bring him back for an x-ray. I was just wondering if it was too soon to take him to the vet again today for an x-ray? And if it was testicular cancer, what are the treatments? How long do budgies typically live with it?

While I have painted a pretty bleak picture here, he is still grooming himself and his feathers do look pristine and bright. His cere is still as blue as ever. He has sung to himself (and to his mirror toy) and chirped to the birds outside the window. He has had a fly about too. I wouldn't say he is on 'death's door' - far from it- but I can tell his foot is bothering him as he isn't as mobile and he has trouble turning around. He also can't stretch out his wings which I think is frustrating him too.

The situation is very awful at the minute because I've my little boy for so long and he's always been healthy and bubbly despite a few very minor sicknesses that he's always overcome. My other budgie (Chiko *yes, I know it's a boy's name) was diagnosed with ovarian cancer about a month ago so having another budgie with cancer will be tough to cope with.

(I've attached a few pictures; sorry for the blur, my phone was being funny).

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am sorry Jack is having some issues with his leg. In the meantime you can wrap his perches with vet wrap to soften the pressure on his leg. In the photo it looks like a dowel perch he is standing on. Definitely wrap that one. Do you have rope perches for him?

Budgiemaz89

Moving in
Hi,
Thank you for the quick response!:)
I don't have any ropes as of now (I have some branches but those probably won't do anything good for his little foot).
I've wrapped the perches in something softer to relieve the pressure, however, and he's happily perched onto them with a little convincing.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
At 9 years old, I wonder from the description of his little foot, do birds get arthritis? I have never heard of it, but that doesn't mean anything, there are plenty of maladies I have never heard of! You sound like a wonderful parront!

Budgiemaz89

Moving in
Thank you for your concern!

I did take him to the vet a day later just to see how things panned out with him being on the Metacam for the day. The vet gave him an x-ray and noticed a swelling around his abdomen I believe, which indicated a disease or cancer. We then had blood work to confirm it was most likely cancer which obviously is really upsetting. The vet prescribed him Metacam to take twice a day (0.03ml in the morning and evening) and Cerenia tablets crushed into a syrup (0.1ml, once a day). It's just about making him as comfortable and pain-free as possible from now on until his suffering is too much to enjoy life. His foot still hasn't shown improvement (he holds it up when he sits and sort of limps on it when he moves around).

I'm going to ring the vet on Monday to get more information (since he doesn't work on weekends). Jack isn't doing awful but again, he's not completely himself. :(

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh no I am so very sorry for you and Jack. I always puzzles me how our little birdies that we protect so much can come down with something like cancer. I know you will provide for his comfort until it is no longer possible. Try not to feed protein because protein tends to enhance the growth of tumors.

Budgiemaz89

Moving in
Thank you very much. It's awful seeing such small, innocent, joyful creatures hurt or sick. Hopefully, I'll be able to do as much as I can for my little ones to make sure they're as happy and comfortable as possible with the conditions they have. (Also, thank you for the protein tip!)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Lady Jane said it perfectly. I, too, am so sorry Jack and you are going through this! You are an awesome parront.