• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Lazy Afternoon

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Wonderful pics :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Gosh she is beautiful :heart: I would absolutely love to be able to see one of these birds in person!

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
Gosh she is beautiful :heart: I would absolutely love to be able to see one of these birds in person!
Thank you and she knows it, she is a bit of a DIVA bird.
What??? You have never seen a hyacinth in person, how can that be? Not even at a zoo? Are they not popular over there?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What??? You have never seen a hyacinth in person, how can that be? Not even at a zoo? Are they not popular over there?
I think in Australia Macaws in general are fairly hard to come by. Especially the rarer ones like Greenwings and Hys.

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
I think in Australia Macaws in general are fairly hard to come by. Especially the rarer ones like Greenwings and Hys.
This is tragic, hyacinths and greenwings are such awesome birds. What about Buffon's - Great Green Macaws?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
They are here but not an awful lot of them. None of the zoos in my state have them as far as I am aware and I honestly can only think of one zoo I have heard of that has a pair.

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
They are here but not an awful lot of them. None of the zoos in my state have them as far as I am aware and I honestly can only think of one zoo I have heard of that has a pair.
That is horrible, you are really missing out. Raised right they are awesome birds. You aren't completely unfortunate because you have a whole lot of wild cockatoos. I have always wanted a cockatoo, we almost bought a black palm cockatoo once. I still think about it from time to time but that powder down I think would be to much for my allergies.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
That is horrible, you are really missing out. Raised right they are awesome birds. You aren't completely unfortunate because you have a whole lot of wild cockatoos. I have always wanted a cockatoo, we almost bought a black palm cockatoo once. I still think about it from time to time but that powder down I think would be to much for my allergies.
I love Heidi! Never can get enough of their beauty!! I've been lucky enough to meet a few.. every single one was a sweetie!

I worked with a few breeder Black Palms. I wouldn't want one for the sheer volume of their calls. Pretty sure we could be close to a mile away and hear them. We definitely heard them in our office a few acres away. They weren't pets, but I did like their personality, and their beauty.

Love all your plants in the pictures to so lovely and refreshing. Are Heidi calls loud? I never heard the ones I visited vocalize. So large so stunning blue. Lucky lady !

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
I love Heidi! Never can get enough of their beauty!! I've been lucky enough to meet a few.. every single one was a sweetie!

I worked with a few breeder Black Palms. I wouldn't want one for the sheer volume of their calls. Pretty sure we could be close to a mile away and hear them. We definitely heard them in our office a few acres away. They weren't pets, but I did like their personality, and their beauty.

Love all your plants in the pictures to so lovely and refreshing. Are Heidi calls loud? I never heard the ones I visited vocalize. So large so stunning blue. Lucky lady !
Hyacinths have those 1 mile or more calls too. Wow can they be loud if they want to be. They usually aren't unless.... they want something and you aren't moving fast enough or you're ignoring them, well trying to! LOL

Most people can't get over the hyacinth beaks. OMG she is huge and OMG look at that beak then its wow look at the blue. The first thing I teach all of the birds when they are beaking my fingers is "be easy" then its "ouch" and the most important is, don't put your beak on MOMMA! LOL

OMG aren't the black palms just magnificent? I would still just love to have one. All I can say is I hope the day never comes that I come across an available one either a baby or just one needing a new home because I just do not know if I could resist.

Thanks I love plants, expect they get grow so big so darn fast on me. I've got a weeping fig that is more than 9 feet tall, it is up past the ceiling fan. I cut it back but I actually think it made it grow faster. I have 2 fiddle leaf figs that are 9 feet tall, the one in the picture and another in the other room. Here it was about 5 or 6 months ago.

IMG_1603.JPG

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Hyacinths have those 1 mile or more calls too. Wow can they be loud if they want to be. They usually aren't unless.... they want something and you aren't moving fast enough or you're ignoring them, well trying to! LOL

Most people can't get over the hyacinth beaks. OMG she is huge and OMG look at that beak then its wow look at the blue. The first thing I teach all of the birds when they are beaking my fingers is "be easy" then its "ouch" and the most important is, don't put your beak on MOMMA! LOL

OMG aren't the black palms just magnificent? I would still just love to have one. All I can say is I hope the day never comes that I come across an available one either a baby or just one needing a new home because I just do not know if I could resist.

Thanks I love plants, expect they get grow so big so darn fast on me. I've got a weeping fig that is more than 9 feet tall, it is up past the ceiling fan. I cut it back but I actually think it made it grow faster. I have 2 fiddle leaf figs that are 9 feet tall, the one in the picture and another in the other room. Here it was about 5 or 6 months ago.

View attachment 417175
Love it! If I had good light or plant lights I'd fill my home with plants! The birds leave them alone?

The decibel level of palm exceeds any macaw. I was just researching it , because I was curious as it was the loudest parrot species I've ever encountered!! Macaws can't physically reach the decibel level of a cockatoo, did find stuff on that. I had difficulty finding definitive decibel level in cockatoo species, but palms were mentioned to be one of the loudest parrot species in the world . So I hope if temptation arrives, you can hear before deciding! They are endangered and don't breed well in captivity. Ok will stop hijack you thread!

Probably don't have the rightful fear of big beaks as I've not received a bite. My GCC needle tip has pierced my thumb nail, and some medium species have gotten some good pinches in. Glad you macaw folks deal with big beaks and training.

What are her chew destruction level and needs?
Another picture destroying something? :)

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
Love it! If I had good light or plant lights I'd fill my home with plants! The birds leave them alone?

The decibel level of palm exceeds any macaw. I was just researching it , because I was curious as it was the loudest parrot species I've ever encountered!! Macaws can't physically reach the decibel level of a cockatoo, did find stuff on that. I had difficulty finding definitive decibel level in cockatoo species, but palms were mentioned to be one of the loudest parrot species in the world . So I hope if temptation arrives, you can hear before deciding! They are endangered and don't breed well in captivity. Ok will stop hijack you thread!

Probably don't have the rightful fear of big beaks as I've not received a bite. My GCC needle tip has pierced my thumb nail, and some medium species have gotten some good pinches in. Glad you macaw folks deal with big beaks and training.

What are her chew destruction level and needs?
Another picture destroying something? :)
You aren't hijacking anything.

Hyacinths are said to be 106 decibels and the cockatoos are 130 decibels range, so yeah that's worse. Big macaws Hyacinths, Greenwings and Great Greens (Buffons) have a deeper screech than the smaller macaws. I can do the big ones, guess I'm use to it but now Mandy my little bitty 208 gram Illiger's macaw is so high pitched it is ear piercing to me. I thank God she doesn't do it any more. For me it isn't just the decibels its the frequency that they are yelling on! Thank goodness mine aren't big screamers.

She isn't nearly as destructive as Bluebell was, OMG Lord that girl could tear some stuff up! Their beaks are freakishly strong. Heidi won't even mess with some toys if she can't tear it up. It is so hard to find good durable size appropriate toys for the really big birds. If the o rings aren't welded even if they are fat she will separate them that beak of hers, same with chain. She loves the beads that she can pop with one bite.

A lady I know has a hyacinth and her bird reminds me a lot of Bluebell, check him out.
This is Kaiser.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Impressive!!!! That's a lot of beak to provide for@

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
You aren't hijacking anything.

Hyacinths are said to be 106 decibels and the cockatoos are 130 decibels range, so yeah that's worse. Big macaws Hyacinths, Greenwings and Great Greens (Buffons) have a deeper screech than the smaller macaws. I can do the big ones, guess I'm use to it but now Mandy my little bitty 208 gram Illiger's macaw is so high pitched it is ear piercing to me. I thank God she doesn't do it any more. For me it isn't just the decibels its the frequency that they are yelling on! Thank goodness mine aren't big screamers.

She isn't nearly as destructive as Bluebell was, OMG Lord that girl could tear some stuff up! Their beaks are freakishly strong. Heidi won't even mess with some toys if she can't tear it up. It is so hard to find good durable size appropriate toys for the really big birds. If the o rings aren't welded even if they are fat she will separate them that beak of hers, same with chain. She loves the beads that she can pop with one bite.

A lady I know has a hyacinth and her bird reminds me a lot of Bluebell, check him out.
This is Kaiser.
oh my word you must go through cages:rolleyes:
Such a beautiful parrot I have never heard of them mind ever seen one

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Holy crap :wideyed: how freaking gorgeous!

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
Holy crap :wideyed: how freaking gorgeous!
Thank you, how sweet of you to say. She is such a sweetheart. Today when I got home and walked in the room she turned to me and said 'Hi'.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Your birds are absolutely stunning and I can't get enough of your beautiful pics. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
Do your hy's talk alot?
That beak would scare me lol
I thought the greenwings' was scary but yours wins hands down. :)
Anything that can crack open a macadamia nut deserves to have it lol