• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Kita appears to be eating nut shells??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Glad you caught this before anything happened. Maccardi likes almonds in the shell. I'll have to watch him closely when he's eating almonds.

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I don't think the moral of the story is to not give almonds in the shell. I think Anna is saying the problem is seen by her vet as the macaw having a tendency to eat nonfood items at present as a behavioral problem. Another moral from the story is to keep aware of just what your bird is doing with the shells left after they eat the nut.

I am not going to stop giving in shell almonds. I am just going to make sure I remove the empty shells after the bird is done eating, that is all.

This is how those "a bird parront should NEVER...." saying get started; overreacting to a potential problem instead of taking the information on advisement.

Congrats on your new egg, Anna!

Last edited:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I don't think the moral of the story is to not give almonds in the shell. I think Anna is saying the problem is seen by her vet as the macaw having a tendency to eat nonfood items at present as a behavioral problem. Another moral from the story is to keep aware of just what your bird is doing with the shells left after they eat the nut.
Exactly...my 3 other babies will still get nuts in the shells, they eat the nut meat and toss the shell... I will watch them very carefully...I have never seen a problem before, but that is the key.... watching for the problems.... I don't believe this is a likely thing for most birds.... but I do think it is good to be aware it could happen and could be dangerous if it does happen.....

I understand why out AV thinks it is behavioral with Kita....

Kita has had issues with egg laying and I don't want to put her through the Lupron or other treatments so I discussed in depth with the AV how we can avoid it...We had to change a lot of the things she loves.... she is a cuddler and we have not been able to cuddle, she love shredding things and she can't have anything to shred... she loves to go under things and find dark crevices, and I can't let her do that....

So eating the nut shells may just be a new obsession she found... and of course now she can't have them anymore... I let her have a couple of pine nuts in the shells this morning and she started eating these shells too.... it is not that I can let her have the nuts and clean up the shells... she is keeping the shell and throwing away the nut meat....

I just got back from Earth Fare with variety of nuts with no shells just for her....I have to close Anna's cage up when they are out in their play area because Kita was climbing in Anna's cage and looking to see if Anna had any nuts in her bowls.... :lol:

This is just another bump in the road but we will be just fine and I am so thankful that nothing bad happened... I will find ways to keep her happy!:heart:

I really appreciate the love and concern and advice from everybody here... I can't imagine caring for these awesome creatures without this community for support!!!!! :heart::heart::heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.