• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Kita appears to be eating nut shells??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
I don't feed shelled nuts, but I would imagine that walnut shells are harder than almond shells? I tried to look online, and I can find the hardness of walnut shells, but not of almond shells. If so, that would lead me to believe that parrots are able to easier digest almond shells in comparison to walnut shells.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The three I know of were rescues at a parrot sanctuary/rescue in Wa. I think like typical true rescues, they were neglected and not fed properly. They probably ate the shells to try and feel better. I don't know. I know my Opa doesn't like nuts but the past year he chews on the shell, and breaks off tiny pieces. I have since stopped allowing him to play with the shells because he does have a couple 'issues' now, so I don't want to allow him the opportunity to eat the walnut shells for whatever reason. And its only the walnut shells that fascinates him. He actually goes a bit crazy and really wants it if he sees one. I don't know what this means. But he has become a bit skittish since becoming partially blind and he does have proventriculis that is split in half a bit which is abnormal. So I don't know :( I just know of the three stories, which all ended sadly and now Opa shows such interest in walnut shells.:(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I would definitely feed the nuts without the shell..hope she will be ok!!!!!!!!!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good Morning and Relax.

My thoughts, the shavings you are from a larger piece that is being ground up in her gizzard. This is how birds take in larger chunks of nuts, hard food, etc and process it into smaller pieces that will pass through the digestive tract. You might want to get some slippery elm powder at the health food store and mix it (1 part water/ 4 parts SE), and feed it to Kita to help anything larger pass. Nut shells can only be processed to smaller pieces and will not be digested like the nut meats. You vet may suggest and X-ray to see if there might be an obstruction. I have seen small pieces of wood in the poop of ours on a rare occasion, checked them under the microscope. Hard shells and wood are not food and will not be totally digested!

Have to say checking your birds poop is commendable and a great way to monitor their health. :)

Gary
Hey Gary!
You taught me about SE a couple of years ago so I started her on it last night ;) Thank You!!!!!!

I am waiting to hear back from the AV now.... she started eating her wood toys now!!!
I am wondering why??? Is there something she may be deficient in dietary-wise????

Other than that, she seems just fine....

Thanks everybody... you guys are all awesome!!!!!!!!

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
I think in the end it has to be what; we as our companion bird keepers, feel comfortable with doing. Personally I don't give nuts in the shell and for those that do I will not condemn them, but by the same token I would expect the same consideration.

Dianne hope you find out what is going on with Kita, please let us know what you find out.:)

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will be waiting to hear what your vet has to say about Kita, keep us updated. :hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My vet pointed out birds have been incidentally eating pieces of nut shells for eons and that the chewing of the almond shells may be a search for trace elements for even behavior like a dog knawing on a bone; tuning up the beak and the equivalent of abstracted busy work.

My CAG often plays with shell fragments, sometimes just systematically reducing them to tiny chips; like he would with a toy. Now and then I see specs of shell, always almond, in his poop. I figure he accidently swallowed a piece here and there. He seems to enjoy the challenge of the hard shells.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I think in the end it has to be what; we as our companion bird keepers, feel comfortable with doing. Personally I don't give nuts in the shell and for those that do I will not condemn them, but by the same token I would expect the same consideration.

Dianne hope you find out what is going on with Kita, please let us know what you find out.:)
I'm not sure where anyone condemned anyone for feeding nuts without a shell...:confused:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I talked with my AV's tech and she relayed to me that she thinks it is more of a behavioral issue, but of course no more nuts in the shell for her and because there is such a large amount of fragments in her poop I am to watch for any signs of impaction and call immediately if there are any signs....

I also have to remove the toys that she is eating

I wonder if this behavior has come about since I am not supposed to cuddle her due to her egg laying issues.... like maybe it is a comfort food... I am sad that I have to take away things that she enjoys for her own protection :(

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
:hug8:

I hope things are resolved soon. I'm sorry you feel bad about it. :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
More :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I know what you mean, Dianne. It's hard being a good parront sometimes. :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I talked with my AV's tech and she relayed to me that she thinks it is more of a behavioral issue, but of course no more nuts in the shell for her and because there is such a large amount of fragments in her poop I am to watch for any signs of impaction and call immediately if there are any signs....

I also have to remove the toys that she is eating

I wonder if this behavior has come about since I am not supposed to cuddle her due to her egg laying issues.... like maybe it is a comfort food... I am sad that I have to take away things that she enjoys for her own protection :(
Dianne, :hug8:it would be difficult to know about the cuddle and if the nut shells are her comfort food, but have some fun with her and her new toys that she can't easily break and swallow.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thank you everybody!!!!!!!!!:heart:

We played lots of peek-a-boo and she had some AO veggie bars (don't tell Capri) but she seemed to really enjoy just crusing them with her beak..... I gave her lots of kissies... no hugs, but she seems content... her last poops had just a few specs of nut shells!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
So glad to hear she is doing well after a little more social time, Diane. Yes, it is hard enough to be a human parent, but I think it is harder to be a parront. Trying to provide for a different genus sometimes makes me feel so...inadequate!

OK, OK, human children are harder; but parrots are a very close second!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oops... double post....

Last edited:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ok... well to top off the night.... Kita starts moaning and pacing.... scaring me half to death....
then she lays an egg :eek: !!!!!!!!!

Good gracious does she have to do everything at the same time!!!!!!!!!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
OH my goodness! She's just putting everything on you right now! :hug8:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwwww, Kita, you are scaring momma!

Status