• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kakariki behavior

yellowtiki

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
sara
Hi! first time poster here. i have a new to me riki that was a sort of rescue case. wasn’t planning/prepared to own one, but here we are. i can’t find detailed information on them like i can tiels/conures/budgies. she’s been seen by the vet; no parasites, mites, bacteria. healthy weight at 45g. trying to swap over from seeds to fresh food and pellets which is extremely difficult lol. she’s so sweet for not being messed with.
i can’t tell if her behavior is hormonal/normal/behavioral. she whines like a dog and sometimes sits on her perches downward dog position? she’s covered 12/13 ish hours. i don’t pet her, we aren’t that close yet. any insight??

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello:
I hope someone can help I don’t know much about them sorry

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thank you for rescuing her :xflove:

I believe @Mark & Da Boyz has experience with kakariki.

I don't have experience myself, but my first thought is to give her time to regrow her flight feathers so she can have more independence. You may find she comes out of her shell more when she has that.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
You're in for a treat and a challenge with her, if Riti, my Kakariti, was anything to go by. You won't find a lot about them but do a search for what you can. They are from New Zealand and one of only three types of parakeets there.

Food. Riti would eat any and every thing she was offered BUT pellets. She did try them but they were the last on her list.

Sounds. Kakaritis are fairly quiet birds with a lot of small chittering and pipping call. But Riti did what I came to call "The Kakariti Giggle" fairly loud (not anywhere near as loud as a Conure or 'Too though) but nice sound like a young child giggling.

On the Floor! Fastest little bird on her feet I aver saw and into EVERYTHING and I mean it.

Trouble is their middle name,,,first and last too! Riti disappeared soon after I got her and I looked for 3 hours and she was nowhere to be found and a two room apt. I turned that place upside down and decided to take a break, the doors hadn't been opened and the bathroom door was closed so I knew she had to be in the apt. I open the dishwasher too unload it and the was a little screech from it. Riti had found a way to squeeze UNDER the built in dishwasher, looking for a nesting spot. A more determined little lady to find nesting spots I never heard of. See photo

She never play with many toys but had one she loved (of course it cost $35.00+) and she'd chew it to bits, I had to learn to make them myself. see photo of "Riti's Nest"

She never was a "Hand Bird" and sadly passed away at about 2 1/2 from Ovarian Cancer. It broke my heart.

IcanlSqueezeUunder.jpg Ritiinhernest.jpg Brecky on my beak.jpg

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I should also point out Riti was the first bird I had that used a foot while eating, I'd had Cockatiel's a Parrotlets before. So When I gave her Blackberries for the first time I almost had a heart attack when she turned up with a "Bloody Foot"!

And a couple more photos of her looking for nesting spots, in a tissue box?!?!
Notsobloodytoe.jpg BoxedBird.jpg DiggingToChina.jpg