• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just so smart......

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So this happened this morning. Elvis and I were playing catch with his sock. Big surprise, right? And Elvis flew up to the top of the cupboard, but I didn't know what happened to the sock. So, he was just standing on the cupboard looking down at me and I said, "I don't have the sock down here Elvis. Do you have it?" He nodded his head yes. And I said, "Are you going to throw it down?" He nodded yes, turned around and grabbed his sock and threw it down to me. Seriously. He scares me sometimes with how smart he is.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, now he even knows non verbal communication!:heart: Watch out, he might start making other gestures that aren’t so nice! :rofl:

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
So smart! It's like living with a flying 2 year old. :rofl:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Smarty pants Elvis! :starshower1:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cool!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So this happened this morning. Elvis and I were playing catch with his sock. Big surprise, right? And Elvis flew up to the top of the cupboard, but I didn't know what happened to the sock. So, he was just standing on the cupboard looking down at me and I said, "I don't have the sock down here Elvis. Do you have it?" He nodded his head yes. And I said, "Are you going to throw it down?" He nodded yes, turned around and grabbed his sock and threw it down to me. Seriously. He scares me sometimes with how smart he is.
Doesn't surprise me at all. :lol: Sometimes you can literally see the wheels spinning in those big black eyes. :hug8:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I see that in every bird I've ever had, even the house finch we raised from a baby. They all aren't whip smart but they take things in and consider them.
Lurch used to take his molted big feathers, work on the quil, then scratch his head with it. He'd get excited when I handed him one and start working it over.
Nerd couldn't drag a full walnut into his house and he kept trying and dropping it when he couldn't swing it over the door. Finally he stopped and seemed to consider the problem, then he sat it right below his door, climbed to the edge, reached down and pulled it in after him and up to his dish...:yes4:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Isn't it wierd?? I have these moments where I will ask Fred a yes or no question and/or if I tease Joe, will look at Fred and there he is bobbing his head! I swear he understands me! They're really amazing!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Try the reading again after he exercises. Barney the cockatoo has great videos on youtube of how his owner entertains him. He seems to love all kinds of balls so the owner gifts wraps things for him, especially balls. Barney has part of his cage set up like a breeding box but its not. He picks up his special toys and carries them in there for his birdie cave. He has all kinds of ladders so he can climb up chairs or to high up places. So many things hanging from the ceiling for him too. The whole house is a Barney House!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Try the reading again after he exercises. Barney the cockatoo has great videos on youtube of how his owner entertains him. He seems to love all kinds of balls so the owner gifts wraps things for him, especially balls. Barney has part of his cage set up like a breeding box but its not. He picks up his special toys and carries them in there for his birdie cave. He has all kinds of ladders so he can climb up chairs or to high up places. So many things hanging from the ceiling for him too. The whole house is a Barney House!
I will check it out. His birdie cave sounds like Elvis's cupboard. I hope to be able to do more after Elvis gets his cage upgrade.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
*5 year old
their smarter than you think.
Ohhh yes and they understand more than what people think. In example there was one time that Baylee kept pooping the platform perch she had so I told her “Baylee Sophia if you keep pooping that perch I will take it out cause that is for you to play in it not to poop on it” ( before that I had to remove the perch at least 4x a day to wash it) until I told her that the perch was not to poop on it that day I washed it and once clean and dry I put it back on the cage! She never poop on it ever again. I removed it in October after using it for 7 years as it was rotting. It was wooden perch that I got from Petco in 2013. Mind she is a lovebird.

Last edited: