• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Just a quick Seamus update

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Seamus saw Dr Driggers again this morning and had his beak correction/deep clean under anesthesia. He did really well. Dr Driggers said his beak and mouth look better than last time he was in a month ago.

The best part of his day though was learning he weighs over 900g now!! He had gotten back down to the mid 700s after a particularly nasty bout of overgrowth in his mouth. We started the new antibiotic regimen and it’s been working so well! He put on all his lost weight and then some in just the last month...so proud of him. He just didn’t feel like eating before even with all the same healthy treats offered. Now he’s chowing down on peppers, squash, bread and pasta mixes that before he’d not even taste.

Here are just some pics from today to show his improvement. The first is him on his way out to the vet. The next are when he’s back home with his beak nice and trimmed up. 7CB51C28-F52F-4E62-9928-B05B4048F1C7.jpeg He’s very displeased with us here. He doesn’t step up for anything still but he knows when the carrier comes out and he flips onto his back like he’s throwing a tantrum and we can scoop him up and put him in the cage...on his back. He does find his way to his perch before getting to the vet lol. 712EFE84-D188-43F7-BD7C-D942ABD9F54F.jpeg BB081E31-D2E9-4837-838C-29BF8739F432.jpeg
I think he looks so handsome here and the healthiest I’ve seen him so far, even if he is a little loopy from the sedation. :heart:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He looks so, so much better!! What a handsome guy :) I'm so happy to hear he's put on weight. That's the best news!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
LOL he has a very indignant look on his face in those last two pictures.

Kitty pulls that fling herself onto her back and flails with her feet. It;s almost impossible to keep the towel on her.

Seamus looks much better and I'm glad his mouth is enough better to make him want to eat. What is the name of the new antibiotic?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am so glad you are seeing improvements. :swoon: He is just adorable!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He doesn’t step up for anything still but he knows when the carrier comes out and he flips onto his back like he’s throwing a tantrum and we can scoop him up and put him in the cage...on his back.
I wish my budgies would do this...it would make life so much easier, lol!

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
LOL he has a very indignant look on his face in those last two pictures.

Kitty pulls that fling herself onto her back and flails with her feet. It;s almost impossible to keep the towel on her.

Seamus looks much better and I'm glad his mouth is enough better to make him want to eat. What is the name of the new antibiotic?
It takes him a day or two to get back to himself after his procedures. He’ll be cranky all day today lol. But his lower beak grows completely over his upper beak so quickly, that there’s no option but to keep up with the frequent visits.

Yea, I could never towel him myself when he does the flop. But gently scooping him on his back seems to work for now. That’s likely because I only have to move him a couple feet lol, it’d be a different story if it was for administering meds.

The antibiotic is the Tazicef I’ve mentioned before. That gets given to Seamus in the morning and then in the evening he gets a listerine wash. Doing these two things together has been a game changer. And it’s so outside the box I don’t think many other vets would have brought it up. He’s been on so many different meds since I’ve had him. This combo seems to make a real difference. The keratin is still growing at a crazy rate, but it’s not turning into an infection like it was before. The last visits Seamus has had yellow and/or green keratin overgrowth. This visit was the first time it was just white. Just flushing his mouth with the tazicef seems to control it.
He hates having it done every day (and it smells so bad) but this is the first time since bringing him home that there’s been a major change in his condition, not just maintaining it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Ceftazidime (aka Fortaz)- that's what the antibiotic is. Dr. Driggers had Jasper on it as injection a couple of times. I had to mix it then keep it frozen until time to use. It's a very effective antibiotic and is recommended for bone and joint infections.

Dr. Driggers has a vey large circle of vets who he consults with and talks to all of the time. Yes, he thinks out of the box - one thing I like a lot about his skills.

Dr. told me years ago not to use vinegar in their water to cut down on fungal infections. He told me to use Listerine. That it does a much better job than vinegar ever thought of doing.

Seamus must have great smelling breath.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
That's wonderful news! He looks so much better.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
You might have explained this before but does the Dr. Know why the keratin is growing so fast?

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
You might have explained this before but does the Dr. Know why the keratin is growing so fast?
He thinks it’s most likely because Seamus was neglected for so long that his body started malfunctioning. He had a massive infection that was never treated over many years. That was centered in his beak and nares. As a way to protect the beak/mouth his body started overproducing keratin as the infection rotted it away. Now that his infection has been treated, his body has still kept up the keratin production because he spent years doing so. We’re hoping that after enough time his body will clue in to the fact that he’s healed of the rotting portion and slow down the keratin to a normal pace.
We just don’t know when or if that may happen.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
So sad, but it's amazing how his own body worked to try and help his beak and mouth. Both Seamus and you have went thru so much with this illness, he looks so healthy and happy. Thank you.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh man I love the rollers! So much easier to throw a towel on an upside down bird than chase one through the house! Tiko is my only roller, Sakie if she is mad enough.

He looks so great and I'm so proud of the work you have both done! I just feel like it will continue to get better and easier with time.
How are you handling being the nurse? Have that routine down so well now?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Macawnutz You need to come down here and show me how to towel an upside down bird. When Kitty rolls onto her back, her legs start flailing a mile a minute and she usually throws the towel off. AAAARGH.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Macawnutz You need to come down here and show me how to towel an upside down bird. When Kitty rolls onto her back, her legs start flailing a mile a minute and she usually throws the towel off. AAAARGH.
So easy! I have to do Tiko's nails soon so I'll try to think to video him rolling. :rofl: I used to use two towels but he has given up the struggle the last few times. You know the feet will grab the towel that hits the feet first so have a second to lay after that. ;) They won't let go of the towel with their feet so you are usually golden with the second.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Ooooh I'll have to think that out. two towels - hmm. Wonder if I have enough coordination for that?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Fantastic update!! Glad to hear Seamus has gained the lost weight and is doing well. He´s so lucky you took him home to care for him. He doesn´t even look like the same bird from that very first picture anymore! :loveshower:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Ooooh I'll have to think that out. two towels - hmm. Wonder if I have enough coordination for that?
If the towels are thick enough you can do both at once. :D They always grab and pull down here. I throw two over them but only really hold the top one. They pull the first one down while I'm scooping them with the second. :laugh: I have a bird or two.... I consider myself an expert toweler. :hilarious:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm not an expert toweler. I had two birds that I just picked up like rag dolls and did what was needed. They got toweled at the vet's which offended them mightily.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He looks great!