• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this safe as a liner?

StygianEchoes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I cannot buy any conventional trays for the bottom of my cage, as it’s too big. So I need to find an alternative.

After looking around for a bit, I’ve come across this company called G Floor. I was wondering if these rubber mats (used for garage flooring) would be safe for budgies.

I’m most concerned about toxicity, and if they can bite through it.

Link to the item in question: Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More | Wayfair

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Now I understand your need. Thanks for posting. Have you searched for floor covers for indoor aviaries?

There are two main approaches toward floor covering in an indoor aviary: paper lining or bedding/litter(unless you have the skills to construct a cement floor with a hose and drainage system). Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages

StygianEchoes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
What about linoleum? That’s an awesome cage!
I’ve heard bad things about using linoleum. Not sure how true the claims are, but apparently the sheet kind has a tendency to crack with overuse?
Also I looked at a few when I went to Lowe’s. They’re kind of soft, not sure if Budgies could chew into them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I actually have a G floor under my cages that I've been using since February I believe. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's pretty durable; my 75 lbs dog runs across it daily. It is textured so it can be difficult to clean up dried poop as it gets into the grooves.

My biggest complaint is that mine does not sit nicely on the carpet long. It is constantly getting ripples in it which makes it very difficult to sweep and mop. I have yet to figure out a good solution for that.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here's my linnie on it yesterday. You can see the big bump in the G floor.

If I had a cage like yours, I think I would get some sort of board you can use on the floor and then staple or otherwise adhere it to the boards to prevent this issue.

PXL_20230603_172915483.MP.jpg

Also, cheap lineuloum rolls are definitely less durable than this stuff. I have used one of those before also on carpet and that was way worse, and tore easily.

StygianEchoes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I actually have a G floor under my cages that I've been using since February I believe. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's pretty durable; my 75 lbs dog runs across it daily. It is textured so it can be difficult to clean up dried poop as it gets into the grooves.

My biggest complaint is that mine does not sit nicely on the carpet long. It is constantly getting ripples in it which makes it very difficult to sweep and mop. I have yet to figure out a good solution for that.
That’s good to know, thank you! I’ll probably be getting the version that has the coin pattern (I looked at those ‘pet play mats’ they had, but the size was a little bit too small), so hopefully it won’t be too much of a pain to clean.
And one day I hope to replace the rug in that room with something else. (Probably won’t be anytime soon though.) So I guess I’ll just deal with that annoyance for the time being.