• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

is this plucking?

ok12

Moving in
hi ever since a few weeks ago i started noticing my gcc belly feathers look wierd, it doest seem like plucking because i dont see any feathers that have blood on them. seems more like he is chewing down on his feathers like you would with your fingernails or somthing.
image attached below, thanks in advance!

edit: its also worth mentioning that he doesnt seem generally unhappy or stressed, he is outside his cage most of the day, always has food and water outside and inside of his cage, gets treats, play time and we spend most of the day toghether on my pc or tv.

Attachments

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you get a close up of the area if i zoom in pics to blurry, the area by your thumb looks like there is feather damage but a close up would help.

@webchirp @Mizzely

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm also having a hard time.

If you're seeing sheared feathers, that is babering and a form of feather destructive behavior. Feather destructive behavior is a complex issue and is not always tied to boredom, stress, or diet. It can be related to pain, an underlying health issue, hormones, etc... So that's why if it IS FDB, a vet visit is always recommended

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes what ^ said. It can be hormones or pain if they are plucking under the leg area. Sometimes chest plucking can be from heart issues. There can be so many reasons. Make certain your baby isn't in pain or have an infection going on that could be helped by your vet.

ok12

Moving in
Can you get a close up of the area if i zoom in pics to blurry, the area by your thumb looks like there is feather damage but a close up would help.

@webchirp @Mizzely
yes of course, dont worry about the fingernails we were planning on taking him this week but then me and my dad got corona, sadly that also means we cant really take him to the vet right now

Attachments

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
yes of course, dont worry about the fingernails we were planning on taking him this week but then me and my dad got corona, sadly that also means we cant really take him to the vet right now
I would make an appointment for vet now for maybe 10 days so you can recover it looks like he is barbering feathers look damaged.
Hope you and your dad are ok and recover soon.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree that it looks like barbering. Hopefully once your feeling better and able to him seen at the vet,you'll get some answers and ideas of what to do to help him stop. Hope yall are feeling better soon !

ok12

Moving in
I would make an appointment for vet now for maybe 10 days so you can recover it looks like he is barbering feathers look damaged.
Hope you and your dad are ok and recover soon.
thanks! i talked with a vet and sent a picture of the area, ill keep them updated on the area and we will see what to do