• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this feather loss normal?

Mangoes

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Moe Nishonov
My Green cheek conure has been losing a lot of feathers lately, mostly on his belly, wing, and back, I don’t know if this is how they molt or if he’s strany way. I want to know if this is normal, I’m pretty worried for him
1CA8A316-14B8-4A62-B6C6-11EAEFAD4147.jpeg A2A9FF0A-169E-4EC7-BEA2-8879D81B2498.jpeg 9986276F-0DE9-41BD-85ED-3522AAE502ED.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That is not a normal molt. It looks like your baby is engaging in feather destructive behaviors. How old is he and when was his last vet visit?

Mangoes

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Moe Nishonov
That is not a normal molt. It looks like your baby is engaging in feather destructive behaviors. How old is he and when was his last vet visit?
I don’t think he’s a baby, he’s around 6 years old and we don’t usually take him to the vet

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don’t think he’s a baby, he’s around 6 years old and we don’t usually take him to the vet
I didn't mean baby in age ;) I meant it as a term of endearment. ;)

Plucking and barbering can be behavioral or medical, so the first thing I'd do is make sure he's healthy by having an Avian vet evaluate him