• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this a scam website? Where should I buy a Hahn’s?

UltraCon

Moving in
Real Name
Ethan Johnson
Is Terry’s Parrot farm a scam website? They are selling a Hahn’s for 750 and I’m very interested.

Could any of you list a safe place to get a hand raised Hahn’s for under 1500? Is that even possible?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I went to the website, and there were some major red flags for me. They claim to sell parrot eggs. No reputable breeder would sell parrot eggs. The English used is also a bit off if the site were written and designed by a native English speaker. They claim to be in Oklahoma.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Someone just asked me earlier this week if that site is a scam and I absolutely believe it is.

Here's my article on things to look for. You'll notice that Terry's has several of these red flags.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I got my Hahns 17 years ago at Avalon Aviary in Loveland Colorado. They are a Model Aviculture Program certified breeder.
I have no idea what the price would be but this would be a great place.
Read their description there and the GoodBadUgly here to see if they are right for you.
Even better - Hahn's are not rare in rescues. Have you looked there? The price would be lower than Terry's Parrot Farm.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Pine Valley Aviary is a reputable breeder in Canada, and they list Hahn's at $2500CDN.

Regarding terryparrotfarm.com, they claim to be in Oklahoma, yet their domain name was registered in Reykjavik Iceland, which is a huge red flag** on top of the previous observations.

(** nothing against Iceland, but normally people register with a provider that's local to their own geography, especially in the US)

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Honestly any place that calls itself a "parrot farm" is a huge red flag for me. Parrots are not the kind of animal you should be "farming" for profit.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I recommend going to a bird store or a bird breeder, because then you can meet your bird and decide if it's for you, I wanted to buy a bird shipped for a while. But when I went to the same bird store mommybird went to, I decided I didn't want to get one shipped. You can also adopt,

UltraCon

Moving in
Real Name
Ethan Johnson
I got my Hahns 17 years ago at Avalon Aviary in Loveland Colorado. They are a Model Aviculture Program certified breeder.
Read their description there and the GoodBadUgly here to see if they are right for you.
Even better - Hahn's are not rare in rescues. Have you looked there? The price would be lower than Terry's Parrot Farm.
Called that place, and the price is 3500. Seemed nice, though

UltraCon

Moving in
Real Name
Ethan Johnson
I’ll look at rescues. How can I find them? I’m in San Antonio

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I’ll look at rescues. How can I find them? I’m in San Antonio
decide how far you are willing to travel (several times since a rescue will not adopt out the first time across their doorstep) and make a thread asking for rescues people are aware of in that area.
I'm curious if you have had any parrots before?

Last edited:

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
There surely are scams out there that's for sure. Parrot eggs being sold is not a good thing to do or buy. Some breeders that do that will tell you the egg is fertile when often it is not. You really have to know the breeder and see for yourself that it is indeed fertile. Then you have to take it home and incubate it then hand rear it and all that goes along with it. Should the embryo die before hatching or just after hatching then tough luck, you are out of bounds in asking for your money back as they do not guarantee the egg to hatch. If you are told they guarantee it, then they are lying to you big time.

However, 29 years ago, I bought an egg or should I say I put money down on a fertile egg but the breeder hatched it out. The egg was a Blue & Gold egg for $500. This was my Kuka who in which she was sick for the first 6 months of her life. I hand fed her from 2 weeks old, her sickness was nothing from my part, it was just her. The breeder was reputable.

I certainly do not ever recommend people buying eggs and there are tons of scammers out there that do that.

The Hahn's Macaw, those prices above are huge, they should not cost even a $1,000. in my book.

Good luck with your hunt.

UltraCon - your user name .... are you conning us??!! LOL

UltraCon

Moving in
Real Name
Ethan Johnson
decide how far you are willing to travel (several times since a rescue will not adopt out the first time across their doorstep) and make a thread asking for rescues people are aware of in that area.
I'm curious if you have had any parrots before?
Yes, I have a cockatiel.

UltraCon

Moving in
Real Name
Ethan Johnson
There surely are scams out there that's for sure. Parrot eggs being sold is not a good thing to do or buy. Some breeders that do that will tell you the egg is fertile when often it is not. You really have to know the breeder and see for yourself that it is indeed fertile. Then you have to take it home and incubate it then hand rear it and all that goes along with it. Should the embryo die before hatching or just after hatching then tough luck, you are out of bounds in asking for your money back as they do not guarantee the egg to hatch. If you are told they guarantee it, then they are lying to you big time.

However, 29 years ago, I bought an egg or should I say I put money down on a fertile egg but the breeder hatched it out. The egg was a Blue & Gold egg for $500. This was my Kuka who in which she was sick for the first 6 months of her life. I hand fed her from 2 weeks old, her sickness was nothing from my part, it was just her. The breeder was reputable.

I certainly do not ever recommend people buying eggs and there are tons of scammers out there that do that.

The Hahn's Macaw, those prices above are huge, they should not cost even a $1,000. in my book.

I’ve always used “UltraConstructor” but it was too many letters

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique

Birds are very expressive in this area:sigh:

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Called that place, and the price is 3500. Seemed nice, though
Bird prices have been crazy the past couple years. But that’s going to be market price right now for a baby hand fed Hahn’s.

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Personally I wouldn't get an animal sight-unseen, and bird prices in the past couple of years have skyrocketed. Keep in mind that even if you do find one on the lower end of the price range, the cage is still going to cost a considerable amount; they can't be put into a small cage just because they're considered mini.

UltraCon

Moving in
Real Name
Ethan Johnson
Personally I wouldn't get an animal sight-unseen, and bird prices in the past couple of years have skyrocketed. Keep in mind that even if you do find one on the lower end of the price range, the cage is still going to cost a considerable amount; they can't be put into a small cage just because they're considered mini.
Already have a cage- old Guinea pig