• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my well water okay for my birds?

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
I keep remembering different things I need to check in my home before birdies come here tomorrow!

We tested our well water a few weeks ago and its healthy, except for slightly elevated sodium levels (44.1 mg/L) according to the guide we were given from public health, for humans with heart problems that need a sodium restricted diet you should speak to your doc before drinking water with more than 20 mg/L, but otherwise is safe and can’t even be detected as a salty taste until at 200mg/L.

otherwise we have high calcium in our water which is great (105mg/L)! And also a bit of magnesium.

our water is very hard but there’s no detectable flavour to it. Do you think this water is safe to give to my birds or should I get some bottled water until we can get some kind of filter for it?

thanks!

068F6B23-FB4D-475B-ACFA-813042E32AD5.jpeg

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Generally speaking if the water is safe for you, it's safe for your birds. I would consult with your vet regarding the sodium though as that I'm not sure on

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
Alrighty :) I called them an the receptionist suggested using bottled water until I can get an appointment with the vet because she didn’t know (won’t be for a few months unfortunately).

To put this into perspective if a cockatiel drinks a teaspoon of water a day this would be 0.2205mg of sodium a day. I’m not sure if that’s too much but I think I’ll use bottled water for the most part for now just in case

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah I'm not sure what the acceptable limits are for birds either, so I'd probably use bottled also just to be safe :)