• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it safe if I put my Avian sun light right above my bird cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I remember correctly the AvianSun 5.0 Compact and the ReptiSun 5.0 Compact are the same exact bulb, just packaged differently.

They are both 26 watts, 5% UVB and 30% UVA, Full Spectrum bulbs. Neither puts out heat.

Before you get panicked .. just check with ZooMed. I remember asking the same question of them a year ago, and being told that they were in fact the same bulb .. but I can't find the e-mail correspondence now.

There are some reptile bulbs that are way to strong for birds, or put out too much heat, but in the case of the 5.0 Compact .. I believe you are safe.

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
There was also some info about the repti lights possibly having some sortof dangerous chemical release from them when hot- similar to non-stick issue (the light part not the bulb). We had to make sure the lights we were using for my turtle were safe as well.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I think it is best for us to advise people not to use reptile bulbs to avoid any confusion. It is a mixed message and could easily be confused and people buy the wrong bulb. There are plenty of full spectrum bulbs on the market, there is no reason to buy a reptile bulb for avian use IMO>

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I agree Pat, I would definitely buy one specifically for birds...not worth the risk otherwise. I am glad Erin, you came here and asked....

Status
Not open for further replies.