• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it safe if I put my Avian sun light right above my bird cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
Is it safe if I put my Avian sun light right above my bird cage? or should I put it further away. I have it currently right above their cage is that okay? It's UVB 5. Technically it's not an avian sun light, its a repti sun light, but it is uvb 5.0. Is that okay? or is there a difference.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
NO reptile lamps for birds!! Please take it down right away! They are not meant for birds and can hurt their eyes. Zoo Med makes a light and lamp made specifically for birds and you need to follow manufacturers directions for safe placement of the lamp. They should be about 12" away from the perch they sit on the most and should be directed downward over the birds cage, not so they can look into the lamp. :hug8: Featherbrite also makes an avian FS bulb as well as many others but reptile bulbs are not safe for birds period.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
kk I turned it off. I'll have to get one of the bird ones. Will the birds be okay?

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
Sorry I had no idea. Those people at petsmart have no idea what they are talking about do they

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
you only had the reptile light on for a couple hours total? (making sure I understand you)

if so, they will be fine

if you kept your receipt, you can probably return that reptile bulb (tell the store manager that someone sold you the wrong bulb) and get the correct one or your money back

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
well a few days ago I had it on for 3 or 4 hours...and then today I had it on for two...but thats it....I was a little leery of it

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
they should be fine as long as you don't use it any more

:hug8:

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
Thank you!!! That is such a relief. I feel like such a bad bird parent...I worry about them very much because I have never had birds before ever and I'm not sure at all what I am doing.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
you are not a bad parront! Thanks for asking your question - you and probably many others learned because of it!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes.. thank goodness you were wise enough to post about this. :)

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
Do you think my birdies will be okay? Should I call my bird vet in the morning?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Erin I think they will be fine BUT I would return it and educate the "associates" that sold it to you..I will refrain about saying anymore about these "box" stores that sell live pets..:mad: I think you would notice a problem if something had happened. They would be closing their eyes and not wanting to open them. :( Luckily you probably had it far enough away and they werent looking into the light. Erin dont beat yourself up. You are here and that is the important thing. You have joined our forum to learn how to better care for you birds so that is a good thing. :) We were all new bird owners at one time and even we are always learning new things so dont feel bad.

Last edited:

birdsafe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Arbogast
What is the temperature of the bulb you were using? Birds can handle temps up to 5500k. Many reptile bulbs are in the same range as bird bulbs, it's the ones that are higher (6000-7500k) that are dangerous. If your light was 5500k or less, then your birds are fine.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Some of the reptile bulbs are the same as bird bulbs. Just in a different box. I would contact the manufacturer to get the facts about what the bulb really is as well as hard numbers on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.