• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it possible to place perches at an angle?

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hi guys,

I would like to place my wood perches at angle to get some friction on Preeno's nails. I think the angle also provides some feet stimulation.

Is it possible with straight perches? I currently have a slightly curved perch so I flipped it upside down to make it slant downwards.

Most wood perches here are straight. Can't seem to find those beautiful java wood ones!

milliebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Evie
I don't know about the bolt-on ones, but if you know any safe branches near your place you can saw notches in the edges so that the perch ends up longer than the length of the cage so that when it is positioned it is on a slant. you can also jam one into the cage bars (be careful not to bend them :)

clarousel

I don't know about the bolt-on ones, but if you know any safe branches near your place you can saw notches in the edges so that the perch ends up longer than the length of the cage so that when it is positioned it is on a slant. you can also jam one into the cage bars (be careful not to bend them :)
I don't have a saw haha!

I'm jealous of members here who do their own woodwork!

My dad uses bamboo in his aviary but it's smooth.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Yes, you can :) depending on the wood you can also use a good garden scizzor.. no saw needed ;-)

I bought a willow three once, its in my backyard and provides me with plenty of branches to decorate the age with! You can grow them in a large pot as well.. anyone can have their own fresh branches :)

clarousel

Yes, you can :) depending on the wood you can also use a good garden scizzor.. no saw needed ;-)

I bought a willow three once, its in my backyard and provides me with plenty of branches to decorate the age with! You can grow them in a large pot as well.. anyone can have their own fresh branches :)
I don't know if the trees around my area are safe...

My dad has plenty of fruit trees though - mango, jambu, soursop, jackfruit etc. Haha!

I'll google if these are safe...

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I’m not completely sure.. but i think most fruittrees are safe :) and thats why i adviced about the willow three ;-) you can grow one yourself, they are grow very quicklY :) You’ll have fresh branches in no time!

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I’m not completely sure.. but i think most fruittrees are safe :) and thats why i adviced about the willow three ;-) you can grow one yourself, they are grow very quicklY :) You’ll have fresh branches in no time!
Apple grows quickly too!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Ooo! Found a thread here about mango trees and they're bird safe :) Well makes sense since we get so many birds in the tree!

So all I need to do is cut it in the middle to make a wedge and I can stick it through a cage bar?
Yup, or attach it between right angle of a vertical and horizontal cage bar and put a cable tie on it. That is what I did for my parrotlets branches

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Thats what i do too :) just fiddle till it sits tight and stable :)
natural branches are great for bird feet. The different sizes and textures is good for the bones etc :)

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I have a mix of branches, plants, rope and bamboo sticks

clarousel

Thats what i do too :) just fiddle till it sits tight and stable :)
natural branches are great for bird feet. The different sizes and textures is good for the bones etc :)
I'm excited to go hacking away for branches! Or rather my dad since it's his tree :roflmao:

Speaking of mangoes, I feel so lucky that my dad has amazingly green thumbs! He just harvest 2 baskets full of HUGE mangoes. Organic, natural and ridiculously sweet & juicy. Don't know how he does it.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I would not use a cabletie, its plastic and thats not good should the bird ingest it. If there’s no other way, pick a sharp knife, and make a wedge in it that will stick arround the bars (be carefull with your safety ofcourse!!)

Send some mango to holland! All we have re apples and pears... pffff...

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
View attachment 345346
my face right now....

Whut?!?! So you mean like where the vertical/horizontal bars meet, insert the branch there and cable tie it?
Put it in the corner were the two bars meet.
Have it tight to the corner.
Place the cable tie through the outer bar, round the branch and trough underneath it.
Zip it together.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I would not use a cabletie, its plastic and thats not good should the bird ingest it. If there’s no other way, pick a sharp knife, and make a wedge in it that will stick arround the bars (be carefull with your safety ofcourse!!)

I make sure all my ties are outside of the cage and they can't access them

clarousel

If only we could trade! The apples we get here aren't great and expensive!