• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN Feathers Changing Color

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I know typically a color change should mean a vet visit but this guy, Idris, is my parents bird otherwise I would be taking him with me for Ollie and Diggle's appointment Friday. He use to be the bright blue all over his body but during his latest molt he's been turning gray, and in a lot of places. Input is greatly appreciated since I'm going to have to convince my parents it's important to get him checked out for this.

20190918_152116.jpg
20190918_152136.jpg
20190918_152140.jpg

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I know typically a color change should mean a vet visit but this guy, Idris, is my parents bird otherwise I would be taking him with me for Ollie and Diggle's appointment Friday. He use to be the bright blue all over his body but during his latest molt he's been turning gray, and in a lot of places. Input is greatly appreciated since I'm going to have to convince my parents it's important to get him checked out for this.

View attachment 315428
View attachment 315429
View attachment 315430

Hi Morgan, that's rather interesting. How old is the IRN?
Sometimes structural colors, which are produced by interference producing iridescent colors or from the scattering of light producing non-iridescent colors. Most blue colors in birds are due to scattering. Iridescence in blue budgerigars, for example, is caused by particles scattering light in air-filled cavities within the keratin of the barbs.I
It's also possible Metabolic problems can also result in feather color changes. If a bird is overdue for a molt, the pigment may actually “wear off” of the feather, resulting in a depigmented feather that appears grey or black
which causes the pigmentation that are caused by a derangement of metabolism or disruption to the nutrition of a bird during the time when feathers are being formed. They will disappear, however, when the bird next molts, as long as the condition is corrected.
But that's just my guess, best advice will come from the vet of course...
Good luck!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Hi Morgan, that's rather interesting. How old is the IRN?
Sometimes structural colors, which are produced by interference producing iridescent colors or from the scattering of light producing non-iridescent colors. Most blue colors in birds are due to scattering. Iridescence in blue budgerigars, for example, is caused by particles scattering light in air-filled cavities within the keratin of the barbs.I
It's also possible Metabolic problems can also result in feather color changes. If a bird is overdue for a molt, the pigment may actually “wear off” of the feather, resulting in a depigmented feather that appears grey or black
which causes the pigmentation that are caused by a derangement of metabolism or disruption to the nutrition of a bird during the time when feathers are being formed. They will disappear, however, when the bird next molts, as long as the condition is corrected.
But that's just my guess, best advice will come from the vet of course...
Good luck!
He is 2.5 years old, his ring is just barely starting to poke through at the front. It honestly could be that, I think he just started his molt. I honestly don't like the food he's on, but he's not my bird to have a say in. His diet consists of dried fruits, nuts, pumpkin seeds, red milo or millet (I never remember what they look like) and that's about it. I've given them pellets and told them about freeze dried chop for simplicity sake but it falls on deaf ears.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
He is 2.5 years old, his ring is just barely starting to poke through at the front. It honestly could be that, I think he just started his molt. I honestly don't like the food he's on, but he's not my bird to have a say in. His diet consists of dried fruits, nuts, pumpkin seeds, red milo or millet (I never remember what they look like) and that's about it. I've given them pellets and told them about freeze dried chop for simplicity sake but it falls on deaf ears.
Aww still a youngster! I was thinking something in the lines of diet too, because it can cause a mess up of the metabolism, which in turn affects the plumage. But thats a rational guess.
Pretty bird by the way. I've always had a soft spot for INR's.
Hope you can persuade your parents to take it in and have it checked.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Aww still a youngster! I was thinking something in the lines of diet too, because it can cause a mess up of the metabolism, which in turn affects the plumage. But thats a rational guess.
Pretty bird by the way. I've always had a soft spot for INR's.
Hope you can persuade your parents to take it in and have it checked.
I'm hoping. Sadly they're the type of people who are a wait and see when it comes to the vet. :(

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That’s too bad they won’t listen to you about his diet, because I would think this would be diet related also. He’s quite the cutie though!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
That’s too bad they won’t listen to you about his diet, because I would think this would be diet related also. He’s quite the cutie though!
He's mostly a good boy too. He can be quite ornery but he's never hurt me and loves to get kisses. Boy does he scream though, both their IRNs do. I give them chop when I can (since I live here also) but I can't afford to feed my 3 birds and their 8 birds constantly. I may just ask the vet about it and show her the pictures Friday and see what she thinks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So the way we see perceive color is from reflections of light. In birds, the way we perceive color takes advantage of this with tiny little ridges on their feathers that our eyes interpret as different colors. When these ridges get worn down, it alters the way we see the color.

This usually shows up as black (bronzing). I've not seen bronzing show up as grey.

However, blue mutations are caused by a lack of yellow in a bird. A normally green bird is composed of yellow and blue being reflected back to us, but in a blue mutation yellow is absent.

I wonder, then, how symptoms of ailments that would normally appear as yellow feathers (liver, for example) would appear on a bird lacking the yellow quality.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
He's mostly a good boy too. He can be quite ornery but he's never hurt me and loves to get kisses. Boy does he scream though, both their IRNs do. I give them chop when I can (since I live here also) but I can't afford to feed my 3 birds and their 8 birds constantly. I may just ask the vet about it and show her the pictures Friday and see what she thinks.
That's a good idea! Maybe get the vet to give them a call to explain it. Can't hurt.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
So the way we see perceive color is from reflections of light. In birds, the way we perceive color takes advantage of this with tiny little ridges on their feathers that our eyes interpret as different colors. When these ridges get worn down, it alters the way we see the color.

This usually shows up as black (bronzing). I've not seen bronzing show up as grey.

However, blue mutations are caused by a lack of yellow in a bird. A normally green bird is composed of yellow and blue being reflected back to us, but in a blue mutation yellow is absent.

I wonder, then, how symptoms of ailments that would normally appear as yellow feathers (liver, for example) would appear on a bird lacking the yellow quality.
Well said! The lacking of yellow can point to liver problems. :yes3: which I believe in a way still points to diet as the root cause in loss of pigment.

Last edited: