• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing cockatiel to my budgies

Chocobo

Checking out the neighborhood
I have two male budgies who are around 4-6 months old, we've just bought them a huge cage (118cm x 59cm x 135cm), and are thinking of getting a cockatiel as well, in the hopes they can all live together in the big cage down the line (but we're obviously prepared for them to not get along and have to live seperately). I wanted to know how easy it is to introduce them and how long this process takes. Would our boys have a better chance of getting on with a male cockatiel or would they get territorial? And is there anything else I need to know before making a decision?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't house them together. Even though smaller, budgies can actually bully cockatiels, keep them away from the food dish etc. I don't think the gender necessarily matters. I think most likely a pair of budgies aren't going to be overly interested in a cockatiel friend but could be out together with supervision. After quarantine, I would start by letting them see each other in their separate cages and go from there.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello, Welcome to Avian Avenue! :)

I agree with the above post, don't house them in the same cage. I have read stories on here of cockatiels killing budgies even when seemingly friendly. Their beak size difference is important to recognise.

If you wanted more birds to live in the cage, look at some more budgies but chat with some budgie folks first to see what ratio of sexes generally works best :)
@Scorpi0 @AussieBird @Pixiebeak

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I recommend even numbers. I only have experience with males. Are you sure yours are males? Any pictures? :)

BudgieGen

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sourav Sinha
I have seen some cases where budgies get territorial and some cases where they are living happily together. So, it's completely depends on your budgies personalities, nobody can give you straight answer. I can give you suggestions of how to introduce cockatiel to your budgies.
First, keep the cockatiel in different cage and let them meet outside of the cage.
Then, when they start playing together, start keeping them together in the same cage for sometimes.
But, don't leave them together at night, they can fight.
Do this practice for 10 to 15 days, when they become friends, you can permanently shift them together.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I can give you suggestions of how to introduce cockatiel to your budgies.
First, keep the cockatiel in different cage and let them meet outside of the cage.
Then, when they start playing together, start keeping them together in the same cage for sometimes.
Personally I think this is poor advice.

Did this work for you @BudgieGen ?