• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Incredibly Aggressive Conure. Help? (Sad update post # 102)

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
She should be cleaning it every day Or mold and bad bacteria could grow. If the bird is in the cage 24/7 it will be aggressive and unhappy. Based on how the cage looks, it has almost nothing to do. She should start out with target training in the cage, and progress from there. Also the hut is NOT a good idea. That setup is quite literally the crappiest cage ive ever seen.
Srry i should've been kinder, I’m jus tired of people getting a parrot and then treating it like a fish.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, it took a lot of convincing for it to get to this point and most of the toys were handmade

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
How do u make the DIY toys? Bird toys nowadays are either dangerous or super expensive:crycry2:

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I totally agree I got into making my own because of the prices, and I researched and read about bird safe materials. I went to home depot and got some of their pine studs I think they were 2 by 8 by 8ft? they were about 1-2 $ each and I got two then I cut them all using a saw, drilled them, sanded them, and dyed them using human food dye and water. I also used lots of leftover pieces from his old toys and other bird safe stuff like cup cake liners, non toxic craft paper, and popiciscle sticks. But many vendors on AA sell toy parts at very reasonable prices (my personal fav is @calibird Cali Bird Nerds) because its a lot of work to prep the materials like wood. I'll attach some pictures in the following post from my phone.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I totally agree I got into making my own because of the prices, and I researched and read about bird safe materials. I went to home depot and got some of their pine studs I think they were 2 by 8 by 8ft? they were about 1-2 $ each and I got two then I cut them all using a saw, drilled them, sanded them, and dyed them using human food dye and water. I also used lots of leftover pieces from his old toys and other bird safe stuff like cup cake liners, non toxic craft paper, and popiciscle sticks. But many vendors on AA sell toy parts at very reasonable prices (my personal fav is @calibird Cali Bird Nerds) because its a lot of work to prep the materials like wood. I'll attach some pictures in the following post from my phone.
Thank you!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
She might be using an account made by an older family member

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
yes, i am. Not one that knows anything abt birds, but its good enough:lol:

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I meant my parents dont know anything abt birds lol

EgoLobster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kenzie
I have quite a bit of experience dealing with 15 yr olds and I understand that they can be very stubborn at times, if it isn't enough to convince her to take the cage out due to behavioral issues tell her that birds can and HAVE DIED directly due to those tents through CROP IMPACTIONS, STRANGULATION, GETTING BODY PARTS TANGLED IN THEM AND CHEWING THEM OFF (FEET), and many more, additionally i recommend getting rid of the water bottle and just giving him a water bowl its much more hygenic and easier for the bird to use, plus remove the dowel perches and add more natural and textured perches (no more than one dowel in the cage), additionally the cage size is a bit on the smaller size def if he's spending almpst all of his time in that cage, does she take him out for socialization? and how much? Plus remove the blanket thing completely from the cage during day time and only use it at night (i'm assuming she uses it to cover the cage). A fe more questions; what diet is the gcc on? is this completely her responsibility and what are your parents view on the issue?
she rolled her eyes at the whole thing with strangulation and said the pet company didn’t warn her about that nor did her studies. Sassy did have a water dish at one point but would bathe in it and cause water to fly everywhere so we switched to the bottle.
she takes him out for probably at least an hour when she does, and the towel is used only at night, yeah. It was early in the day when I came in so it was only partially removed.
no clue about the diet, seems to be standard bird pellet looking things. sometimes gets fruit or veggies.
Its her responsibility but my sister has severe issues with cleanliness in her room and it’s caused a lot of fights with my parents. They say that if the bird gets to a point that they feel she can no longer care for him theyll rehome him. I’m honestly always worried about Sassy. my sister would rather play minecraft for hours than refill his water, so sometimes he goes an entire day without any water.
I have a cat personally and a very soft spot for animals and seeing her bird like this is distressing.

I should note she did have another bird before him who died prematurely from refusing to eat anything but millet and she realized he was ill for an entire day and then he died without her getting help for him. it was obviously very distressing but she knew the bird was sick. It was a parakeet.

I don’t think my sister is ready to handle birds but it’s not up to me to say anything, and if I do I’ll probably get in trouble. I can try talking to her but she gets a smug attitude and wants to know if anyone here has actually worked with birds or studied them to the degree she has which frustrates me. I want to help but my parents figure if the bird gets sick she’ll have to pay for the vet bills.

there’s nothing I can do but I know if Sassy was less aggressive she would pay more attention to him, which is why I posted this thread. I don’t believe Sassy is in immediate danger as if my sister ignores him I’ll refill his food and water but he’s not a happy bird.

She also says he’s unresponsive to target training and quote “not a smart bird“.

EgoLobster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kenzie
I’ve offered to care for the bird but she refuses. I don’t know what to do.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I hope he doesn't die...:dontgo:

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m so sorry this is a tough situation but you should show her these

Attachments

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can u talk to ur parents because on this case it seems like ur sister seems very bent on keeping things as is, why did she get the conure to begin with? And what’s his name?

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Those pics are hard to view:darkcloud:

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Click on them they should blow up

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
And aha! Another person who knows bird tricks!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
could some other more experienced members provide advice for egoLobsters issue?