• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Imping Maui ... Cross your fingers ...

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
How clumbsy is he would him being imped make it more dangerous for him or help I would hate to see him crash and really hurt himself. I am just worried for you and him you know more than me ill shut up...
Sorry to move this over Jim but I think it is a very good point. First lets remember that at some point the goal is to fly. Someday he will and it will be just as dangerous today as it will then. At least with the imping he will be trying to fly with a full set of wings instead of a few feathers that will surely make him crash. Right now Jim, I think this is my best option. Broken feather after broken feather. He has had stitches in his keel, glued his keel twice. Now a broken beak and a lump on his jaw.... He is going to kill himself. I have foam flooring everywhere he goes, a camera on him 24 hours a day that I can watch on my phone, I had to take down his new net and any toys that he could hang on.... How is he supposed to live? I think he falls because he is off balance, he flaps and tries to catch himself and falls. Am I worried about him flying and getting hurt? OMG yes. We are just going to have to be extra careful in teaching him with no hail mary's. :D You could send some extra prayers for us and him when we get this done. Pray a protective bubble around him maybe..... :rofl: I'm worried too but I think I'm making the right decision for him. :hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
All your good thoughts worked!

We are home with nothing but good news. Maui is an excellent canadiate for imping and I can make the appointment for this as soon as I have two full sets of left wing feathers. I'm going to go through them tonight. The bump on his face he thought was odd and after checking it out he thought it caused no pain so he took a cytology of it. After pulling it he felt it was an injury that did not bruise but the results should be back today. His poor little beak is painful and he said if it's not better by the time we imp him he will dremel it then. He has him on metacam .30ml. I'm so excited I can not contain myself. He says it looks as if all his feathers can be done so I guess it's time to pad the walls.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I was so excited I forgot to mention.... The price is even very reasonable. He said $200-250 for the procedure and around $100 for sedation. $50 to watch him for half a day. I thought the procedure would be over $1000. He said it will take 20 minutes to glue in the feathers tops. He has done it hundreds of times although this will be his first macaw and pet bird. I was so excited I had tears in my eyes.... I think he thought I was crazy.

I looked through my feathers and you will never believe. I have all right wing primary feathers. I think I have enough secondaries but I only have one left wing primary that was not chewed past the point I need. ( Of course ) If anyone has a set of left wing feathers, let me know. I will pay for them. He said they do not need to be scarlet feathers ( thank goodness as I have none ) but they need to be good quality and of similar size. I'm going to call Maui's breeder in a bit as I know he should have plenty.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know I'm going to sound like a complete idiot, but how do I tell left from right? Lol .. go ahead and laugh .. I guess I just never thought about the molted feathers coming from the left or right side.

I know I have quite a few B & G wing feathers, just have to figure out which are left, and which are right.

So glad everything went well! Sounds like this is going to be fairly easy on Maui, and your wallet!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I know I'm going to sound like a complete idiot, but how do I tell left from right? Lol .. go ahead and laugh .. I guess I just never thought about the molted feathers coming from the left or right side.

The left wing feathers will curve to the left and the vein is closer to the right side. :D Lay it against your arm like you have a wing and you will see. :p

Reeny

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
I hope this continues to go well happy for you!

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
I'm glad you're getting it done. I think out of all your macaws, you'll find those feathers. ;) I think that was the main reason that I was pro-flight from the start w/Merlin. They are so clumsy when they can't fly, I was always afraid he would kill himself :eek:

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Yay! Yippee! Hooray! I am so excited for you two.

Won't Maui be stunned the first time he flaps his wings after he wakes from sedation?!!! I hope the vet will allow you to take pictures.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Won't Maui be stunned the first time he flaps his wings after he wakes from sedation?!!! I hope the vet will allow you to take pictures.
He will probably fall over from the weight. :eek: ;) I asked the vet if I could go in and watch.... :( Nope. I will have a pickup and dropoff time. It's okay, I'm too excited to care. :D I will take plenty of pictures before we leave and after we get home. While we are waiting I will have plenty of time to bubble wrap his cage and playgym. :p

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks Monica! I have studied that site MANY times! :D They are so detailed I almost wanted to do it myself. :p Maui does not have much to work with so I chose to find a vet with experience, I feel very confident after today's appointment. Thanks for the sites! I have many of the secondaries and a few primaries. I made a few calls and am hoping to get what I need from friends and birds I know. I think It would make me feel better if I knew where the feathers came from. AND.. more fun! This is Korbel's feather, and Sakie's. LOL

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sarah, that's what I figured! Been following this thread as I'd love to see before/after photos and how he does!

I was thinking about imping myself for little Kiwi but I don't have a full set of flights! So I'm just going to hope that she molts soon so she can fly!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Sarah, that's what I figured! Been following this thread as I'd love to see before/after photos and how he does!

I was thinking about imping myself for little Kiwi but I don't have a full set of flights! So I'm just going to hope that she molts soon so she can fly!
Oh Of course I will do before and afters! :D I was so darn excited when he said he would do Maui, I think I cried. None of the techs or vets were excited... I thank they have no idea how rare this is OR they have no idea what imping is. Merlie felt silly but even the tech asked how you know right from left feathers. :p I did ask a few questions that I thought were interesting, things that were not on that site. They use epoxy glue, it is non toxic once dry. The feathers have to be carefully placed inward so that when they close the wing they lay right. What I found most interesting was where I ht ought Maui was to short to be done... is perfect. ( He still may have one or two that are questionable )
Naturally_molted_imped_feathers_th.jpg

This picture shows the feathers being attached at the mid point. To do this you must hollow out the feather shaft on the bird. :( Not fun. Maui's feathers are broke higher up.

Where Maui breaks his feathers is already hollow. The vet said that if Maui's were longer he would cut them saving from drilling out his feathers to attach the rod. Doing it like this, there is no need to drill out any feathers as they are already ready to insert the splint.

If I had some Kiwi feathers I would gladly donate them all. This is so amazing to be doing.... I hope so much that it helps Maui and that Maui's experience helps anyone here who is asking the same questions.

Last edited:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I'm glad I didn't see this until after you got back from the vet. :hug8::hug8:

I have some B&G feathers and some GW feathers, if you need them.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Sarah honey, I might have to sleep in the family room I don't know if my grin is going to fit through a narrow bedroom door ... :D :D :D

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm glad I didn't see this until after you got back from the vet. :hug8::hug8:

I have some B&G feathers and some GW feathers, if you need them.
His cytology came back perfect. He must have got the lump from falling and I did not see it. :( It's well hidden unless you move the feathers.

2013-06-03 21.49.12.jpg

This is what I have. I seem to be missing the first 5-6 primaries as out of the three I have two are badly cracked. ( Rosie and Sakie think they are foot toys ) If you have left primaries Heidrun I will PM you my address. :D Maybe a few Ziggy feathers will toughen Maui up a bit.