• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm all around new to Forums.

Lexie Chanelle

Checking out the neighborhood
I've been a bird mom for a year, maybe a little longer now.
I have a little Green Cheek Conure who is literally a little terror the moment his flight wings came in.
I also have a Peach Fronted Conure I'm in the midst of re-homing, (it's a sad story but he is way healthy now)

My name is Lexie, and I need to up my birb mum skills.
I used to work nights and since I've moved cities and quit that job I've completely lost track of the meal plans I had for my two little chickens. Since I've been home more during the day awake, and not resting, my Green Cheek really became more of a terror and literally thinks he runs the show. Flies everywhere, gets into everything, chases the cats, bites them then flies away. I have Luther since November 2016 and he was about two months old. He should be around a year and a half nowadays, and it's the first month he's been separated from his adopted brother.

My Green Cheek is named Luther.
My Peach Fronted is named Clark.

Clark was an abused bird, caged for a year and was never hand raised.
He was the most frightened little thing when I first got him, we couldn't handle him, he wasn't eating properly, the previous owner man slaughtered his flight wings, so we're still unsure if he's ever going to fly properly again, or how long it will take for them to properly come back. I took him in late September 2017, and since then he's made a big round about. We can handle him now, pick him up with our fingers, we can hold him with both our hands, put him on his back, wrap him in a towel. He is incredibly friendly and docile for a bird who is incredibly petrified of humans and hands. He started eating raw seed and some fruits, but on most day this guy refuses to eat any kind of mixed foods or kibble type foods. He is an absolute sweetheart, and he always has the innocent look on him.

Reason for re-homing;
I recently got out of a two year relationship with a guy who well loves both my birds as much as I do, and it was incredibly mutual. However, Luther is a small conure, and he isn't loud. Clark, has lungs energized by fire alarms. I had to move back into my moms semi-detached... She has a neighbor, who hears him clearly through the walls and it wouldn't be so bad during the day but Clark had this thing with starting the moment the sun comes up, (EVEN WHEN I COVER THE CAGE). During summer time, that could be around 5:30AM.
My second problem with him is my three cats, I took Clark in when he was already a year old if not a bit older. I have two kittens and a 8 year old cat. Clark would go off if a cat just stepped foot in the room he was in. He would screech and bite whoever was holding him, fly into walls. He was terrified.
I tried secluding him for a month or maybe roughly a little longer, where he has his own cage and the cats would only walk into the corner where their cat litter was. Still no getting used to the furbabies.

So my ex took him in, I knew the moment I bought a bird, that birds are loud.
I am not willingly re homing him because I personally think he's too loud, I love him to bits and this kills me.
I have my mother and a younger brother who are staying in this house, and out of respect for them I thought it was the best move. Like I said I've had him since late September, it's only been about four to five months we've had him and we still managed to twist his whole hostile personality around, witch I am so thankful for!

He didn't take Clark in permanently but he took him in for now to save my mom and younger brother the hassle of waking up everyday at 6AM.

(Sorry for the long post, I really felt like a breakdown of my situation might help, and I'm open to suggestions for Clark, if there's anyway to make this work with him I'd keep him forever!

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry about Clark. So is your ex just taking him temporarily then? Can you get him back from him if your housing situation changes? It's actually nice that he's going with someone he knows already. Can you go and visit him?

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
Welcome to the forum, and welcome to parrontship. Sad about Clark's past but seems to be making progress on the forefronts. Perhaps when your living situation changes and while your ex has Clark, could take Clark with you? The great plus is that Clark knows your ex already.

Lexie Chanelle

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm not sure how long I'll be staying with my mom, my personal life kind of took a slip. I would take Clark back the moment I could, but it's a matter of how long can he take care of him for. He recently started working long hours at work and only comes home sometimes when the sun is down. Personally it's not the best environment for Clark neither, but Clark has always been more comfortable and calm with him.
I would take him a few days here, and then he'd go back up to him for a week and then repeat, but that became to much back and fourth.
It's a matter of waiting it out and see what happens for all of us.
I can tell Luther misses his partner in crime he's been more of a little terror since he's been gone.

I don't want to stress Clark out with the cats but part of me believes he'll come around with then just doing there cat stuff about the house.
It's mostly the amount of noise his lungs can produce in the morning. He's mostly calm all day, but the moment the sun is up he screeches for a good 15 minutes regardless if in cage, out of cage, fresh food and water.
He is honestly my morning rooster.
but my ex doesn't have this problem at his place, so we really don't know why he does it.