• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Illiger’s Macaw owners where u at???

Missyszlee

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Missy
Talk to me about your mini macaws.. specifically anyone with an Illiger’s Macaw.

I have a female 4 month old baby and she seems to be the complete opposite of what everyone describes Illiger’s personalities. Male Breeder hand raised her.. I received all these videos of her so sweet and cuddly.. ummmm where is THAT bird??

My girl is SOOOO FEARFUL. Timid. Only cares about being next to my Hahns
Is it because I’m a female?!

someone with experience please share your wisdom.

Thanks,
Missy

Attachments

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
First of all she is gorgeous, secondly I don’t think there’s too many members with minis and none that I know of with illigers, these members may know more @Macawnutz @Zara @Shezbug

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
To be honest I’m not sure who has a mini macaw out of our members. I feel bad saying that as I’m sure there is one or two.

Be patient with your baby and let it learn you are safe- being comfortable with the breeder won’t instantly mean that your baby will be comfortable with you or even another person of the same sex that the breeder was. You still need to wait for your baby to decide it can trust you- you’re still a complete stranger in the new scary environment this bird has been brought to as far as she’s concerned.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Welcome! I have a Severe aka. Chestnut Fronted (the biggest mini), and he's about 460g, so quite a bit bigger than an Illiger's or Hahn's.

Your baby is still a baby, and will emerge from that phase and grow into her own personality over time.

If your Hahn's has thrived under your care, there's no reason to worry about the new addition (they will be individuals though, and won't necessarily respond to everything the same).

Congratulations on the new addition.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Now I really feel like a numb skull lol. Sorry @flyzipper Jericho: I was watching his slow motion video just yesterday! In my defence for being a ditz, I’m fevered and not well... next time it happens it will just be that I have a terrible memory lol.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
The site search function works (said for information, not to dissuade you from reaching out via your own posts) ...
... that's the first reference I found; there may be more if you care to look.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't know who is currently active with an Illiger's! I had a Hahns once upon a time and have a Poicephalus (Jardine's) now :)

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Now I really feel like a numb skull lol. Sorry @flyzipper Jericho: I was watching his slow motion video just yesterday! In my defence for being a ditz, I’m fevered and not well... next time it happens it will just be that I have a terrible memory lol.
Get well soon.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I have a Hahns.
To be honest I’m not sure who has a mini macaw out of our members. I feel bad saying that as I’m sure there is one or two.

Be patient with your baby and let it learn you are safe- being comfortable with the breeder won’t instantly mean that your baby will be comfortable with you or even another person of the same sex that the breeder was. You still need to wait for your baby to decide it can trust you- you’re still a complete stranger in the new scary environment this bird has been brought to as far as she’s concerned.
Welcome! I have a Severe aka. Chestnut Fronted (the biggest mini), and he's about 460g, so quite a bit bigger than an Illiger's or Hahn's.

Your baby is still a baby, and will emerge from that phase and grow into her own personality over time.

If your Hahn's has thrived under your care, there's no reason to worry about the new addition (they will be individuals though, and won't necessarily respond to everything the same).

Congratulations on the new addition.
I agree with both of these. Your baby needs more time to adjust to the new home and to get comfortable with you.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Was she cuddly with you at first when you bought her? Or is she a brand new purchase?
It’s not uncommon for any new bird to act differently in its new home than any personality witnessed when it was interacting with its Breeder/feeder.

Missyszlee

Real Name
Missy
Thanks everyone! She's a brand new bird that was with a breeder and is now home with me. She's been here a month, still incredibly fearful and flighty. I try to spend some 1 on 1 time with her and she is doing everything in her power to get back to my Hahn's.. however she will step up and she will perch on my shoulder waiting for a bite of whatever i'm eating LOL.. I'm just eagerly awaiting this fun and playful illiger's personality everyone talks about .

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone! She's a brand new bird that was with a breeder and is now home with me. She's been here a month, still incredibly fearful and flighty. I try to spend some 1 on 1 time with her and she is doing everything in her power to get back to my Hahn's.. however she will step up and she will perch on my shoulder waiting for a bite of whatever i'm eating LOL.. I'm just eagerly awaiting this fun and playful illiger's personality everyone talks about .
Oooh. She’s still brand new. Yep, I’d give her time to settle in. And totally normal that she’s trying to get reassurance from the other bird in your family, especially coming from a breeder with other birds. Birds speak to each other better than we speak to them. She’ll be a cuddly ham before you know it.

Missyszlee

Real Name
Missy
Do you think I should separate them to spend time and build a bond with her? I try this a little but all I hear is them screaming for each other.. but I suppose I can try to ignore it the best I can and build the bond..

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’d personally not separate them as they’re comfort for each other, comfort helps confidence and being confident means they tend to explore and learn more.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you think I should separate them to spend time and build a bond with her? I try this a little but all I hear is them screaming for each other.. but I suppose I can try to ignore it the best I can and build the bond..
I wouldn’t. There’s a bit of training established birds can help with for new birds. The new baby will be looking to your Hahn’s for clues and guidance. If you’re quick, you may be able to pick up on some of them. For instance, if you put out a bowl of food- watch the little baby look at the Hahn’s. She’s going to watch him to see HIS reaction to you putting out food. If your Hahn’s shows nothing but enthusiasm and curiosity, her little self will be reassured and probably mimic his behavior. The second your Hahn’s goes on alert, she will assume she should too. It’s flock behavior. And babies automatically do it. Downside is that sometimes naughty behavior is taught- screaming at the garbage man for instance. One bird does it, the rest seem to follow. But these social clue are important for babies to learn. Use this as a chance to bond/teach both birds. If you start with the Hahn’s… baby will watch. Then you can attempt whatever it is you’re teaching with baby after she has watched the Hahn’s do it.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I have a severe macaw and I agree with what other members have said already. She is very new still and I would give it some time :)