• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Ikea Detolf Hamster Cage

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
wow what a lucky hamster. your set up is amazing!
i do have to admit that growing up i had a hamster in a very lousy prefabbed plastic cage. i didn't know any better, and no one around me ever suggested i get something better because that was the norm back then.

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
@tastybeets Thank you for the kind words about our setup! It's actually the reptile equivalent of a 40 gal breeder, but I agree 20 gal longs are really unobtrusive and do provide a better setup than the ridiculously tiny plastic store bought cages...plus they're so much easier to take care of. :dancing:

Yes, it is a shame their lives are so short. Tonic developed some sort of seizure disorder, we made a good run of it (as an aside, dosing hamsters is HARD) but in the end she passed away. Gin is still going strong and I expect to have her for a while longer. I love the Robos they are so much more active than all the other species that I have ever kept and since I discovered that I am severely allergic to small animals their hands off approach is really best for me. Little Gin will sit on my hand and take a treat from me and she always comes up to the glass to investigate when I'm near, but by and large she enjoys doing her on thing....and I find her busybee lifestyle super fascinating.

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
@Hrtofau2 oh, no! It wasnt my intention to insult anyone at all! I really had to dig into various hamster forums (some even in other languages) to get information. @Bartleby actually has a really nice set up for those who don't need or can't fit 100lbs of new furniture in their home. 20 gallong long tanks aren't to terribly intrusive, and can still offer quite a bit more space than a prefab habitat.

I suddenly feel ridiculous for gushing about hamsters on a bird forum. ROFL!

Oh dont feel bad! I am just saying you have made me see I am severely lacking in the habitat department for "Marshmallow". He is in a 10 Gallon with lid, water bottle, several hidey huts, chew tubes, cardboard tubes, chew sticks, ect. His stuff is rotated out every few days (and rearranged daily by a certain boy every time he feeds him) We give him fresh foods, a bit of carrot, kale, lettuces that kind of thing and occasional treat bars. He also gets occaisional hay that my son snags from the rabbit. He is handled daily by son...and gets time in his ball time too. So while no where near as spoiled as your guy. I dont think hes THAT bad off. ;)

Kay_belle_12

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
I have my rabbit in an X-Large wire dog crate and people think I am crazy! What they don't know is when I move I want to have a rabbit proof room for him. :shy: