• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Ikea Detolf Hamster Cage

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I love hamsters, but I hate hamster cages and tanks as they're always hideously ugly and horribly small (hamsters require more room than you'd think). A year ago, in the search for a perfect tank, I came across instructions on how to modify an Ikea Detolf curio cabinet into a hamster tank. I figured I'd share my build.

Underneath is the 4 cubby by 2 cubby Expedit shelving. On top you see the glass Detolf cabinet with no doors and no shelving. There are mods you can find that don't use the metal bars, but I'm just not that crafty.

Hut on one end

Dirt in the middle

Sand on the end for bathing (make sure your hamster isn't eating the sand):

Here's the top made from untreated wood and mesh wire:

Of course add in a wheel (you can find some nice wooden ones on ebay, but I stuck with plastic), wicker balls and other huts and hide-y places too. (I don't have pics of the complete finished set up.) I keep food at one end and water at the other. I make it a point to interact with him every time he's awake which has made him extremely hand friendly.

Norm loves butt-scratches and yogurt treats, and will tolerate being held and kissed for brief periods. He spent a week in a travel carrier while this was being built and I thought he'd never forgive me.

Here's my mister man, Norman:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! Norm is one lucky hamster!!! :dance4:

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yeah, I did spoil him rotten. Cleaning is easier than you'd think too. He only potties in the sand or shavings area, so a small mesh scoop for the sand works to clean one end and I just replace all the shavings/hay in the other end once a month. About once every week or two I'll remove his house and scoop out any small areas of soiled bedding in his most used areas.

On a side note (I forgot to add earlier), I use reptile dirt and sand not play dirt or play sand (they can harbor bacteria). Also make sure your dirt is COMPLETELY dry before using it. Wet dirt = smelly and moldy dirt.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
That's awesome!! Norman is very lucky and very cute!

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a beautiful and spacious enclosure!! Norman is one lucky hammy!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A+ :hug8:

He's not spoiled or lucky. He is being "properly" looked after as all hamsters should be. :)

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
That's amazing it's so nice to see someone who also thinks hamster cages are never big enough (even rat cages are usually not big enough for Syrians).
Super habitat for Norm he is very handsome and I bet he's really happy in there :)

I find it sad that even hamster owners on hamster forums don't even understand that when they start bar chewing it's a stereotypic behaviour (which happens in a lot of hamsters in store bought hamster cages), I mentioned this once and was met with quite a defensive attitude from some people. Suggestions like put wooden pegs in the corners for them to chew so they can't reach the bars were the suggestions, and how much they hate it when people try to suggest the hamster is actually unhappy with it's environment :( Hopefully one day the small cages will be banned

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Awesome set up! :laughing12: Norm is a cutie! :heart:

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hopefully one day the small cages will be banned

I hope so too.

It's unfortunate with small animals being so cheap that they often fall into the hands of children and families that aren't educated on the actual needs of the animal. I mean it wasn't all that long ago I had hamsters that were kept in those ugly neon plastic atrocities because I never knew better. It's just not something most people think about, and the conditions in which they're kept at pet stores only serves to misguide buyers into thinking hamsters (and other small critters) need nothing bigger than a 10 gallon tank.

I do try to inform people about hamster needs, but I can't blame them for not knowing better. I have never seen a decent sized hamster habitat. I mean, I literally had to make my own from furniture. As a society, we really do place a lower value on things like parakeets, hamsters, gerbils, even cockatiels, guinea pigs, and bunnies. Like for some reason it's OK to give them a less than quality life in captivity because they don't cost much.

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
Oh, I just LOVE this.

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I just want to say that you have made me feel like a schmuck hamster owner. (Ok my sons hamster but still). :bag: ....

That is one awesome habitat!

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Super excited to see another hamster owner going all out! Your Detolf looks fantastic and your Syrian is super cute!

About a year and a half ago I came across a couple little hamsters in a severe cruelty situation (kids had already killed the third with a rock) and took them in. I hadn't kept hamsters in years and had to look their husbandry up for a little refresher. Lets just say my eyes were opened to exactly how much these guys need...and I felt really guilty for how my childhood hamsters had been forced to live. :( So I set out to get little Gin & Tonic into something better. Sadly, Tonic has recently passed away, but here's the latest incarnation of Gin's digs:

I hope it was okay to share the pics of my setup...don't want to hijack or anything!

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
@Hrtofau2 oh, no! It wasnt my intention to insult anyone at all! I really had to dig into various hamster forums (some even in other languages) to get information. @Bartleby actually has a really nice set up for those who don't need or can't fit 100lbs of new furniture in their home. 20 gallong long tanks aren't to terribly intrusive, and can still offer quite a bit more space than a prefab habitat.

I suddenly feel ridiculous for gushing about hamsters on a bird forum. ROFL!

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Wow, what a beautiful habitat for your hamster!! You are a very good owner.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Omigoodness! What a beautiful habitat! That is one lucky little hamster…

I was reminded by this funny mini cartoon movie …. about a hamster. Thought you might enjoy!

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
@Mockinbirdiva Ha! I'd not seen that before!

I hope it was okay to share the pics of my setup...don't want to hijack or anything!

Oh, it's perfectly ok! I love seeing other setups! Also I'm sorry you lost Tonic. I kept quite a few robos over the last few years. Lost the last of them to what I think was a rectal prolapse a couple years ago. It's really a shame they don't live longer.