• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some help with my lovebird

Dynasys

Meeting neighbors
Hey I've just joined this forum and this is my first time posting something on a forum of any kind so please let me know if I've left out any crucial information. I got a 7-8 week old lovebird last Sunday on the 23rd from an owner who hand raised her. My lovebird is comfortable around my presence as she doesn't fly away or appear scared when I enter the room and do work at my desk which is placed near her cage or when I sit beside her cage. She's also a pretty talkative bird, which surprised me because I read that they are pretty quite. The problem is whenever I slowly place my hand/finger near the cage, she immediately makes her way towards the cage and starts biting my finger. It's gotten to the point where I have to distract her with my other hand to replace her water and food. She's also moving a lot around her cage at certain points of the day, and is super calm at other times. These are most of my concerns and I understand it's been only 3 days so I've been patient and just keep my hand in a comfortable position for her (a couple inches away) the cage so she doesn't feel the need to bite it but it hasn't really been working. I'd be grateful for any tips or suggestions. Thanks, and again if I've missed out on any crucial information that might help with resolving this I'm more than happy to provide it. I'm looking forward to interacting with the bird community.

My plan right now is to wait it out a couple days while still being present in the room and ordering some lovebird treats (Nutri-berries) and hand feeding her with the hope that she associates my hand with the food rather than a need to bite. Let me know if this would work, thanks again.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

Key word : "She"
It's very typical of hens to be like that with their cage. However, as she is still so young it is more likely you are unintentionally scaring her.
Keep fingers away from her cage unless loaded with a nice treat for her (millet is ok as a treat as well as a small piece of a nutriberry).
Use feeder doors to give food and water, if you don't have them, entice her out and then do all the cage stuff while she is out.

If you are curious what the future will bring, I have a range of different experiences with my birds and their cages...
I have one male who is the sweetest bird, I can't put my hand in his cage not a bother but if I put fingers through the bars he will attack me.
I have a hen who I can't even get near her cage nor her. I have to use feeder doors to change water and food.
I have another hen who I will open the door, place my hand in front of the cage and let her hop out onto my hand then I can go in the cage. If I put my hand in or touch her stuff, she'll bite.
I have another who is fine with hands in her cage, will hop on to my hand to come out but will attack me if she is nesty.
My other two boys don't care about hands in or around the cage at all. They're good boys.

Just remember, girls change when they reach sexual maturity and go through their nesty times. Usually not for the better, be patient during those times until she bounces back :)

Dynasys

Meeting neighbors
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

Key word : "She"
It's very typical of hens to be like that with their cage. However, as she is still so young it is more likely you are unintentionally scaring her.
Keep fingers away from her cage unless loaded with a nice treat for her (millet is ok as a treat as well as a small piece of a nutriberry).
Use feeder doors to give food and water, if you don't have them, entice her out and then do all the cage stuff while she is out.

If you are curious what the future will bring, I have a range of different experiences with my birds and their cages...
I have one male who is the sweetest bird, I can't put my hand in his cage not a bother but if I put fingers through the bars he will attack me.
I have a hen who I can't even get near her cage nor her. I have to use feeder doors to change water and food.
I have another hen who I will open the door, place my hand in front of the cage and let her hop out onto my hand then I can go in the cage. If I put my hand in or touch her stuff, she'll bite.
I have another who is fine with hands in her cage, will hop on to my hand to come out but will attack me if she is nesty.
My other two boys don't care about hands in or around the cage at all. They're good boys.

Just remember, girls change when they reach sexual maturity and go through their nesty times. Usually not for the better, be patient during those times until she bounces back :)
One of my concerns is the future, as her cage is about the minimum requirement so 18x18. I had planned to let her out the cage once she was comfortable but if she's going to go for my fingers when they're near her I'm worried its going to be tricky to give her her required space for flying around.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I don't do it myself, but I have attended parrot classes where they recommend "stationing"- teaching a bird to go to a certain place in their cage whenever you have to put hands in their cage. It's often done with bigger birds who bite but I know how painful those little lovie bites can be too. You probably can find a training video on you tube showing it. And always use positive reinforcement. :)

Dynasys

Meeting neighbors
Welcome to the forum. I don't do it myself, but I have attended parrot classes where they recommend "stationing"- teaching a bird to go to a certain place in their cage whenever you have to put hands in their cage. It's often done with bigger birds who bite but I know how painful those little lovie bites can be too. You probably can find a training video on you tube showing it. And always use positive reinforcement. :)
Thanks I'll look into that for sure.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I had planned to let her out the cage once she was comfortable
I don't believe the wait is necessary. Open the door and put a play stand in front of the cage to help entice her out. (an exterior perch near the door is another option).
Just don't push her. Let her do things in her own time. Keep your fingers to yourself while she comes out and looks around. It's a good idea to have treats or millet spray to offer her. Young lovebirds are so food driven.
Be sure to bird proof the room before you let her out.

Station training is great, but I do think that as your bird is still a baby you can come to a middle ground, like me and my girls who will hop onto my hand and leave the cage to allow me to clean it. It is still a handy thing to teach though :)

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Through time, work, and patience you will definitely be able to just let her out to hang out and play. My lovebird (also female) is in an 18x18 cage and I think it's honestly too small for her. As you've seen, they're very active little birds. Right now you're still getting to know each other. Aoife, my lovebird, was a seriously scared biter but in time I learned to read her and she learned to trust me. They learn tricks really quickly but trust takes awhile. I think because they are prey animals they tend to be more afraid of us. Sitting next to her is a perfect way to get started.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Your next question will be getting her back in her cage :lol: millet or sunflower seeds are great enticements. My birds now know that a sunflower seed is like currency. They'll get a couple if they do what I'm asking. And you always have to act nonchalant like you have all the time in the world, I swear they love when we get frustrated! Lovebirds are stubborn! They're so funny, such a big bird in a small body.

Dynasys

Meeting neighbors
I don't believe the wait is necessary. Open the door and put a play stand in front of the cage to help entice her out. (an exterior perch near the door is another option).
Just don't push her. Let her do things in her own time. Keep your fingers to yourself while she comes out and looks around. It's a good idea to have treats or millet spray to offer her. Young lovebirds are so food driven.
Be sure to bird proof the room before you let her out.

Station training is great, but I do think that as your bird is still a baby you can come to a middle ground, like me and my girls who will hop onto my hand and leave the cage to allow me to clean it. It is still a handy thing to teach though :)
What should I focus on for bird proofing the room? The steps I've taken is covering up the little space between my bed and the wall, and the bottom of the bed, and covering the window with curtains. Anything else I should be concerned about?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Hello @Dynasys

coming here, asking questions that are “so simple” for most of us.. (it can be easy to forget we all had to learn) you show great responsibility And care for your little friend. You have my repect for that :heart:

Stay arround here, these forums are great sources of advice, great fun, and great support when times get rough! I wish you all the best. And ofcourse we like to see some pictures of your little friend ;-)

Dynasys

Meeting neighbors
Your next question will be getting her back in her cage :lol: millet or sunflower seeds are great enticements. My birds now know that a sunflower seed is like currency. They'll get a couple if they do what I'm asking. And you always have to act nonchalant like you have all the time in the world, I swear they love when we get frustrated! Lovebirds are stubborn! They're so funny, such a big bird in a small body.
You're right about that lmao, I really appreciate the suggestions. I have some sunflowers seeds on me and I'll also be ordering some millet and I'll be sure to keep everyone updated

Dynasys

Meeting neighbors
Hello @Dynasys

coming here, asking questions that are “so simple” for most of us.. (it can be easy to forget we all had to learn) you show great responsibility And care for your little friend. You have my repect for that :heart:

Stay arround here, these forums are great sources of advice, great fun, and great support when times get rough! I wish you all the best. And ofcourse we like to see some pictures of your little friend ;-)
Thanks so much I already feel so welcome here and I've only been here for like 50 minutes. Yea I'm just like everyone else here in the sense that I just want whats best for my bird. The good vibes I'm getting from this community makes me I feel like I can freely ask the simple questions so thanks for that. I've already turned on all notifications and enabled email updates so I can stay connected aha, looking forward to meeting more bird owners. :loveit:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Anything else I should be concerned about?
Mirrors and small spaces.
You may also want to hide away any books or important papers :)

Dynasys

Meeting neighbors
Mirrors and small spaces.
You may also want to hide away any books or important papers :)
No mirrors in the room but I would've never thought about hiding the books and important papers lmao. Thanks so much