• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I Need Help With My Budgies

Budgie Kid

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Emiliana
Hi, I'm new to this website, but I'm hoping someone can help me. I've had my 4 budgies for a few months, I didn't know what I was doing and did everything wrong, I grabbed and chased them around and made them do things they didn't want to do. I've done my research and am currently trying to rebuild my relationship with them but everything I try doesn't seem to help. I've tried treats, the towel method of taking them out (to teach them to come on my hand), sitting next to the cage, talking to them, putting my hand in for a few minutes and nothing works. However, I think it's improving, as they don't immediately try to run for it when I come in the room. Idk if this is important but they live in the laundry as we own 3 dogs that would gladly eat them. Again I don't know if this is relevant but I'm still in high school and live with my mum, one of the birds belonged to my sister who never interacted with him so he was left in the cage. Every time I slowly offer my finger to perch on they immediately run away but their comfortable around me in their cage. My mum says it's the relationship I built with them and they think to come out I HAVE to grab them, and they just don't like being caught. I doubt this is the case but I don't know what to do :(

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Please don't grab them or towel them unless it's an emergency. It takes a while to build trust. It even takes a few months for a build to just settle into a new home. I would look into target training. There are some good youtube videos on it. Treats work wonders. Try to see if you can start handfeeding them with something like millet spray where they can get close to your hand but not too close. You need to take things slowly with them. And if they're in the laundry room, be careful about scents and harsh products. Scented products can be harmful to their respiratory systems.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It will take time and a great deal of patience to re build trust. Start over again but leave out the things that scare them. Could take 6 months or more.

Budgie Kid

Real Name
Emiliana
Please don't grab them or towel them unless it's an emergency. It takes a while to build trust. It even takes a few months for a build to just settle into a new home. I would look into target training. There are some good youtube videos on it. Treats work wonders. Try to see if you can start handfeeding them with something like millet spray where they can get close to your hand but not too close. You need to take things slowly with them. And if they're in the laundry room, be careful about scents and harsh products. Scented products can be harmful to their respiratory systems.
thanks, I have been careful since I found out that the laundry might be dangerous. I'll try the hand feeding, but will leave target training until later as I have tried it and it didn't work. I'll leave them in their cage for now. Thanks!

Budgie Kid

Real Name
Emiliana
It will take time and a great deal of patience to re build trust. Start over again but leave out the things that scare them. Could take 6 months or more.

Thanks for the time estimate I'm glad that I know the reason of slow improvements natural and not my fault. The website looks pretty useful on my brief look at, I'll look at it more in depth later. Thank You!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
When you're with them you can also try putting a perch just outside the cage door and hang some millet or a favorite toy to encourage them to come out on their own.

Budgie Kid

Real Name
Emiliana
When you're with them you can also try putting a perch just outside the cage door and hang some millet or a favorite toy to encourage them to come out on their own.
Thanks, I'll try it