• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have some questions about my two cockatiels.

TaliArtyom

Meeting neighbors
Hello! I purchased a month ago 2 cockatiels Tali (female) and Artyom (male) they are 9 months old and I'm curious to know if I'm not making any mistakes and I want to know how can I strengthen the relationship with them. They don't have a pallet diet yet (it's hard to find pallets where I live so I have to buy it online) and they eat seeds with fruits and cabbage, for a treat, I give them millet and I like to hold it with the tip of my fingers or on the tip of my palm (this is as close as they get, they are still frightened of me and my hands), I keep them in my room and while I'm in the room I open their cage so they can fly if they want (they fly like 1 time in 2 or 3 days and when they do they are scared and if I approach them they are slowly moving away from me but not by a lot), I talk to them every day and when I enter the room Tali and sometimes Artyom likes to puff their feathers (I'm not sure if its a good thing) when I sing or talk to them Tali gets closer to me and they both look at me. They sometimes fight each other, Artyom likes to go to Tali's food and he just sits there and when she is trying to go there and eat he doesn't let her and he does the same when Tali is coming back to its cage, he stays in the front of the little gate and hisses and bites her when she is trying to enter the cage, I don't like Artyom's personality and I often intervene in those conflicts I touch him on this beak or I push him a little with the millets stick when Tali wants to go in the cage. I'm a minor and of course, like any boy at my age I play videogames till late and I usually cover them when I go to sleep, should I cover them at like 11:00 PM so they can get 11 hours of sleep and to uncover them at 10:00 AM or cover them at 1-2 AM and uncover them at 11:00?

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiworan

Meeting neighbors
I'm not experienced with cockatiels, but training is key! Is Artyom still aggressive towards Talk when she's already inside? Were they housed separately before as well? It depends on the time your birds sleep. If you're playing video games late, it may be too noisy for them. Both of my birds are currently sleeping, and it's only 6:47.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Monica @Tiel Feathers @Khizz @cassiesdad @sunnysmom
are just a few people who may help you with information on taming/bonding with your Tiels and also give you some ideas on appropriate sleep times and routines for them.
Got any pics of your cuties to share?

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing pics of Tali and Artyom :) I apologise in advance for a possibly long answer :lol:

They don't have a pallet diet yet (it's hard to find pallets where I live so I have to buy it online) and they eat seeds with fruits and cabbage
Sounds like where I live, pellets are impossible to get hold of in shops! It's good they get fruit and veg, but usually tiels aren't big on fruit, and as far as I'm aware, cabbage isn't particularly nutritional. Try them with more veg like dark leafy greens, and many tiels love broccoli.

I give them millet and I like to hold it with the tip of my fingers or on the tip of my palm (this is as close as they get, they are still frightened of me and my hands)
That's good progress! It took me a while to get mine to accept millet like this. A month is not a long time for tiels! Don't worry if they take a long time. Mine are coming up to a year and they are still skitterish and don't like my hands.

they fly like 1 time in 2 or 3 days and when they do they are scared and if I approach them they are slowly moving away from me but not by a lot
It's good that they fly about! Do they scream when they land? Because mine does this all the time, I don't think it's fear, it's just excitement. Just let them figure things out, any maybe don't try to approach them. I usually just sit in the corner and let them fly about. When they are more confident flyers and seem more relaxed, then try slowly approaching.

Tali and sometimes Artyom likes to puff their feathers (I'm not sure if its a good thing)
Usually a puff of the feathers and a tail wag is nothing to be worried about! I can't remember if it means they like you or they are just responding to your presence? As long as they don't stay puffed up and not moving.

They sometimes fight each other, Artyom likes to go to Tali's food and he just sits there and when she is trying to go there and eat he doesn't let her and he does the same when Tali is coming back to its cage, he stays in the front of the little gate and hisses and bites her when she is trying to enter the cage, I don't like Artyom's personality and I often intervene in those conflicts I touch him on this beak or I push him a little with the millets stick when Tali wants to go in the cage.
That's something to keep an eye on. Were they housed together or separately when you got them? Are they in a completely new cage?

Artyom sounds territorial. In terms of food, you could try moving the food bowls further apart?

However, if he keeps chasing her away from the food bowl to the point where she can't eat, you might have to consider housing them separately. It could also be if they are both new to the cage they are in they are working out who is boss. I wouldn't get involved except if he draws blood or starts pulling her feathers. If the fights start to escalate, separating them will become necessary.

Don't use the millet stick in this situation, it could create a negative association and make it harder to use it for training.

should I cover them at like 11:00 PM so they can get 11 hours of sleep and to uncover them at 10:00 AM or cover them at 1-2 AM and uncover them at 11:00?
Basically they need quality sleep, as long as they can get full peace and quiet in those hours I don't think it matters. Just take in mind that with people moving about and getting ready in the morning, that will disturb their sleep in those hours. Maybe put them to bed at 11.00pm and game with headphones in?

TaliArtyom

Meeting neighbors

Attachments

TaliArtyom

Meeting neighbors
Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing pics of Tali and Artyom :) I apologise in advance for a possibly long answer :lol:

Sounds like where I live, pellets are impossible to get hold of in shops! It's good they get fruit and veg, but usually tiels aren't big on fruit, and as far as I'm aware, cabbage isn't particularly nutritional. Try them with more veg like dark leafy greens, and many tiels love broccoli.

That's good progress! It took me a while to get mine to accept millet like this. A month is not a long time for tiels! Don't worry if they take a long time. Mine are coming up to a year and they are still skitterish and don't like my hands.

It's good that they fly about! Do they scream when they land? Because mine does this all the time, I don't think it's fear, it's just excitement. Just let them figure things out, any maybe don't try to approach them. I usually just sit in the corner and let them fly about. When they are more confident flyers and seem more relaxed, then try slowly approaching.

Usually a puff of the feathers and a tail wag is nothing to be worried about! I can't remember if it means they like you or they are just responding to your presence? As long as they don't stay puffed up and not moving.

That's something to keep an eye on. Were they housed together or separately when you got them? Are they in a completely new cage?

Artyom sounds territorial. In terms of food, you could try moving the food bowls further apart?

However, if he keeps chasing her away from the food bowl to the point where she can't eat, you might have to consider housing them separately. It could also be if they are both new to the cage they are in they are working out who is boss. I wouldn't get involved except if he draws blood or starts pulling her feathers. If the fights start to escalate, separating them will become necessary.

Don't use the millet stick in this situation, it could create a negative association and make it harder to use it for training.

Basically they need quality sleep, as long as they can get full peace and quiet in those hours I don't think it matters. Just take in mind that with people moving about and getting ready in the morning, that will disturb their sleep in those hours. Maybe put them to bed at 11.00pm and game with headphones in?
They were housed together before, and yes they are in a new cage. They scream before they want to fly so I have to run and open the gate if I don’t open the gate they just bump in it. And I have one more question, should I put something on the window because Artyom is kind of clumsy and likes to bump his head when flying to the window?

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They were housed together before, and yes they are in a new cage. They scream before they want to fly so I have to run and open the gate if I don’t open the gate they just bump in it. And I have one more question, should I put something on the window because Artyom is kind of clumsy and likes to bump his head when flying to the window?
Artyom sounds like Jeff :laughin: He is also a clumsy lil fella! You can buy stickers but stupidly I bought some that looked like trees so obviously they thought they were branches :headsmack:. Instead I hung ribbons from the top of the window. The ones you use for wrapping gifts are fine! It seemed to work a charm!

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Good idea about the ribbons. They flutter up as the bird approaches and makes them turn away from it. I did that with strips of paper towels, not as pretty but hey never thought of ribbons, :p my baby was just learning how to fly so I put the strips on the mirror after he banged into it a couple of times, never happened after they went up and a week later took most of them down except for 3 and as he was not going anywhere near it anymore took the rest down a day later and never had a problem. His cage was in the window so he knew it was there so no problem there, with me it was the mirror as it’s 3 feet by 5 feet big. So looked like a window. :wacky:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good idea about the ribbons. They flutter up as the bird approaches and makes them turn away from it. I did that with strips of paper towels, not as pretty but hey never thought of ribbons, :p my baby was just learning how to fly so I put the strips on the mirror after he banged into it a couple of times, never happened after they went up and a week later took most of them down except for 3 and as he was not going anywhere near it anymore took the rest down a day later and never had a problem. His cage was in the window so he knew it was there so no problem there, with me it was the mirror as it’s 3 feet by 5 feet big. So looked like a window. :wacky:
Yeah I saw somebody mention it on here and it's really worked! Since they've gone up Mabel has made it more of a regular thing to go for a fly around the room because they've not had a negative experience in ages! The ribbons I put up are also kind of 'shiny' which puts them off more as they reflect the light when they flap too close :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your two new tiels, they are beautiful! You have received some really good advice already, so I just wanted to comment on their cage. To me it seems much to skinny to house two cockatiels. Hight is not as important as width, and your tiels will be arguing because their is no room to get away. They both are going to want to be near the top so you would be better off with a flight cage. Also, those dowel perches aren’t the best for their feet, so you should switch some out for natural and rope perches, and they need some more shreddable and foraging toys too.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As @Tiel Feathers said, a wide cage is better. Am I right in thinking that it's better to have a cage with a flat roof? I think I read somewhere they don't like the angled ones?

In terms of toys and enrichment, there's lots you can do on the cheap. Mine love natural wood!

In my cage the bottom perch is just a branch that I just wedged between the bars (don't forget to wash them and thoroughly dry them first). My husband broke it so I just tied it to another wooden perch using hemp rope.

IMG_20200209_193909.jpg

Depending on where you are based, there are a few of us here who can recommended good cages online :)

TaliArtyom

Meeting neighbors
As @Tiel Feathers said, a wide cage is better. Am I right in thinking that it's better to have a cage with a flat roof? I think I read somewhere they don't like the angled ones?

In terms of toys and enrichment, there's lots you can do on the cheap. Mine love natural wood!

In my cage the bottom perch is just a branch that I just wedged between the bars (don't forget to wash them and thoroughly dry them first). My husband broke it so I just tied it to another wooden perch using hemp rope.

View attachment 327970

Depending on where you are based, there are a few of us here who can recommended good cages online :)
I’m from Romania so

One more thing, why does Tali and Artyom sometimes open their beak and pulls their head up?

TaliArtyom

Meeting neighbors

View attachment 327970

Is this cage good? Noble Colivie pentru papagali

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's a better shape but I personally think it's a bit small for two. For a single tiel a minimum size of 50 x 50 x 60cm is recommended, so for two I'd double that. If you can't get a bigger cage straight away, it's best to save up :)

@Zara is based in Europe and might know some good websites. I'm based in Switzerland which is technically not part of the EU so we have our own online shops.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's a better shape but I personally think it's a bit small for two. For a single tiel a minimum size of 50 x 50 x 60cm is recommended, so for two I'd double that. If you can't get a bigger cage straight away, it's best to save up :)

@Zara is based in Europe and might know some good websites. I'm based in Switzerland which is technically not part of the EU so we have our own online shops.
Hang on I'm rubbish with cage sizes. I just got the biggest I could get. @Tiel Feathers ?
81 x 78 x 155 cm
31. 8" x 30.7" x 60"

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Well this one Noble Colivie pentru papagali is 81 x l 78 x î 155 cm
The cage you linked has a large bar spacing (space between the bars of the cage), and you need it smaller.
They sell some larger cages, but they are not as strong as the iron floor cages..
I have just looked around the Romanian site and they hardly have any bird items listed :( Such a shame.
If you are unable to order from their EU site, you will have to look at websites selling cages in a neighbour country and import one.

I had that little house cage for one of my lovebirds and I hated it with a passion. I found it was a pain to clean it, and It took me longer and more work than my larger cages.

Your birds are very beautiful :) Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1: