• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I couldnt resist~~~

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe

Ricky swings.jpg lucy n ricky.jpg L N R.jpg Introducing Lucy & Ricky. Soooo...Friday afternoon I went to pay Leigh's friend at the closing petshop a visit. I got dog food, cat goodies, birdie goodies...AND~~ 2 baby love birds...they are blue and around 7-8 months old....I left with cage and all....:laughing12:...I even got them a birdie bath dish...they are mildly clipped and VERY bonded to each other, so I couldnt just take one:rolleyes:..I'll take better pics, just didnt want to stress them too much. They are hand shy, and I'm not sure if I'm going to work with them, or simlpy adore them from afar. The cage has a play stand on top which opens. Havent tried that either. Presently they are on Higgins vita seed mix. So any lovie food treat advice is very welcomed...:).

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
oh my! :xflove: look at the sweet lil cuties!
I just love the cute little clickin, chirping and there bickering noises...too funny!! Thanks Beth...I just love watching there antics while they interact.
  • :joyful:.....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're adorable! :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
congratulations..you gave them the best possible home...I am so happy for them!!!!!

Mariannee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I might not be the best judge here because we got our Son's Athos quite young so he eats everything put in front of him. The two things he will just at and eat and not come up for air is homemade kale chips seasoned with chili powder no salt of course, the other my new recipe I posted the other day yam and mango mash balls. I am so happy to have hit on that recipe they all love it here but Athos our lovey liked it almost too much, LOL. Our late great Starla was a different story she had spend a very long time in a pet store in a little plexiglass box eating nothing but seed the only things she really ate with relish was grated carrot, cantaloupe and small amounts of romaine lettuce and dandelion greens. Congrats on your new pretty birds.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
They are beautiful.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on your beautiful lovebirds!

Matt

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
I might not be the best judge here because we got our Son's Athos quite young so he eats everything put in front of him. The two things he will just at and eat and not come up for air is homemade kale chips seasoned with chili powder no salt of course, the other my new recipe I posted the other day yam and mango mash balls. I am so happy to have hit on that recipe they all love it here but Athos our lovey liked it almost too much, LOL. Our late great Starla was a different story she had spend a very long time in a pet store in a little plexiglass box eating nothing but seed the only things she really ate with relish was grated carrot, cantaloupe and small amounts of romaine lettuce and dandelion greens. Congrats on your new pretty birds.

oK, I''l try your suggestions...thanks Marianne....

maddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Malene
OH how adorable they are. The blue lovebirds are the most beautiful, I think.

As for advice on foods/treats, I give my lovies sweetcorn, they love that. Not too many, I think they have quite a bit of sugar. Sometimes I can find unsweetened, usually I focus on finding the unsalted ones. My lovies also enjoy peas, here in Denmark we call those peas that can be eaten with shell (usually used in asian dishes) for 'sugar snaps', and they love them too, peas as well as pods. Carrot strips, broccoli (I split them in little tufts of the tiny green flowers or whatever the word is) and bean sprouts. Everything needs to be rinsed thoroughly.
And then: millet. The red type is a favorite, the yellow or white not so much. Another thing is that the red millet tends to be less messy, the shells seems to be heavier, so they fall mostly to the bottom of the cage rather than spread in a circle of 5 feet around the cage.

Arent lovebirds supposed to be fruit eaters? Mine are not AT ALL. I can almost see them go "EWWWW yuck-yuck-yuck" if I present them with a bit of melon or banana. They prefer vegetables. Weird...

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats! :heart:

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Awww adorable. Congratulations

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
OH how adorable they are. The blue lovebirds are the most beautiful, I think.

As for advice on foods/treats, I give my lovies sweetcorn, they love that. Not too many, I think they have quite a bit of sugar. Sometimes I can find unsweetened, usually I focus on finding the unsalted ones. My lovies also enjoy peas, here in Denmark we call those peas that can be eaten with shell (usually used in asian dishes) for 'sugar snaps', and they love them too, peas as well as pods. Carrot strips, broccoli (I split them in little tufts of the tiny green flowers or whatever the word is) and bean sprouts. Everything needs to be rinsed thoroughly.
And then: millet. The red type is a favorite, the yellow or white not so much. Another thing is that the red millet tends to be less messy, the shells seems to be heavier, so they fall mostly to the bottom of the cage rather than spread in a circle of 5 feet around the cage.

Arent lovebirds supposed to be fruit eaters? Mine are not AT ALL. I can almost see them go "EWWWW yuck-yuck-yuck" if I present them with a bit of melon or banana. They prefer vegetables. Weird...

I tried offering them little bites of banana and apple.. & they didnt go for..I'll keep trying more fruits and veggies...they have only known seed so I guess I'll have to experiment with a variety of these and be diligent...thanks Malene
  • :)

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
Oh Lupe!! They are adorable! :D

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
So sweet...lucky birdies. Lucky you! :D

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
Omg how exciting!!!! Seems like everyone is getting new babies this week! :D Wonder what Elvis will think of these little ones!!

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Thanks:)! ...Elvis is still too busy wondering where the bird eating lamp went:wideyed:~
seriously though he likes the company these two are super chirpy and constantly bickering in a cute way...so E. finds that quite amusing..;).