• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how to train cockatiel to sit still when i hold him?

PopsDops

Strolling the yard
Real Name
PopsDops
so i've had big success in Winky's training, he has already learned target training and recalling. so now i wanna train him to sit still when i hold him.

you see, the reason i wanna teach him this is so that i can clip his nails (they're not long at all, they're just sharp and they leave marks on my forearms and hand sometimes, so i just cut to very tip of his nails) without him trying to escape and without having to constantly worry if im hurting his little body.

if you got any tips, articles or even videos i'll be thankful. (if you have other techniques for cutting his nails, they're welcome too) :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You probably have to towel train him, but maybe someone else has an idea.

Reactions: Ali

clarousel

I would say it's quite tricky to have your bird not move when there is this scary object going to their nails and them potentially feeling a clip!

Have you tried distracting him with treats? I managed this with Preeno's back nails only as he was part avoiding the clippers and part trying to gorge on millet. I've resorted to natural perches and sandpaper on his favourite perch (just where the nail touches) but tiels being larger could require regular clipping. I know FlockTalk in Youtube trained her GCC to be okay with nail clipping but it's a lengthy process so you'll have to be super committed!

If not the vet is always a safe option :)

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Teaching a bird to be still in your hands comes especially handy if it is sick, injured or in some other kind of trouble.

But as others mentioned it can take a looooong time. And then, there are some birds, who simply won't have it! And some somewhere in between.

Personally I wouldn't dare try to clip nails. The what if is to great a danger to me.

Might I suggest a pedi perch as a quick fix?

Nails done, no risk involved and no scratched skin!
But do continue to hand tame Winky. :)

PopsDops

Strolling the yard
Real Name
PopsDops
thank you all for your answers. i will be checking FLockTalks' video and pedi-perches. they already have natural wood in their cages and i've seen a sandperch but i've also read that they can be bad for their feet.

thanks again for all the info :D