• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to raise a hand-fed budgie RIGHT.

Bunchobird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mali
Hello,
I found this little breeder that hand-feeds his birds and sells them for only $15. Wasn't rlly looking for another budgie but somehow i keep getting budgies. God works in his ways lol. The baby won't be ready for another 5-6 weeks he said or until the baby decides to wean ( he lets them wean theirselves :) ) But I want to know how to keep a healthy relationship with the birdie once he/she comes home. Any tips, bonding activities, what not to do, foods to introduce early, cage setup ideas ECT. I've never started with a hand-fed bird so I don't want to mess it up lol. I will post baby pis soon!!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's very inexpensive for a hand fed budgie. Wonder why.

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
The dude is 15 and just trying to breed budgies. He breeds bigger birds and makes more profit off that.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yikes. I can´t get on board with a 15 year old breeder (unless they´re helping their parents etc).

Annalee, go find yourself a good reputable breeder who will raise the chicks right, vet check ups on parents to be sure they´re not carrying illnesses, good blood lines, plenty of interactions with the young, good diet incl. introduced to veggies and so on. I´m sure you´ll find your baby, and they will be perfect! :)

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I would still appreciate knowing how to raise a hand-fed budgie right though!
I personally wouldn't raise them any different. If you find a good breeder they should be weaned and flighted by the time you get them and hopefully introduced to lots of new foods, toys, etc.
All you have to do is continue to introduce new foods and socialization if needed.
But I also dont have any experience with hand raised birds, that's just my opinion.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sounds like this person is focused on $$. What does he do with the budgies that are not sold? How many times in a year does he breed them? Have you seen where he keeps the breeding budgies? Something does not seem right about this to me.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sounds like this person is focused on $$. What does he do with the budgies that are not sold? How many times in a year does he breed them? Have you seen where he keeps the breeding budgies? Something does not seem right about this to me.
None of it seems right to me- selling $15 dollar birds is unethical as far as I feel but a 15 year old breeder? There are questions I am too afraid to ask tbh

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
He has 40 pairs and lets them breed 2 times a year, with atleast a 4 month interval in between breedings. I asked all the questions I possibly could, but when I think about it, it sounds like it started with someone who had a passion for birds that turned into a backyard hoarding situation. I Have seen where he keeps them (in person). It's actually a REALLY nice aviary. I would say somewhat like 1/2 zoo-worlds size, with lots of enrichment and perching. The nest boxes are lined among the top. It's a walk in octogon. It's really cool. I didn't see where the hand-fed babies are kept but from the photos and videos it looked sanitary, but you don't get the full perspective from videos. He claimed that it wouldn't be sanitary to let people in the room with fragile babies. I understand where he is coming from but would like to see it for myself lol.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
80 birds?! That's a lot of cleaning. I'd want to visit in person, spontaneously, & see the babies. Maybe they're really parent raised (better, IMO). That he won't let anyone in ever is a red flag, IMO. There are closed aviaries, but they often house species worth tens of thousands of dollars & can't let people in due to thieves. Anyone can clean & then post photos/videos. What are the birds' daily living conditions like? And, being 15, how does this teen manage? I have 10 budgies. They have their own room. I can't imagine caring for 80 adequately plus their multiple offspring, octogon aviary or not.

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
Probably inbreeding the budgies. @Sparkles99 , I honestly don't know how he does it, or if he even does. I know that im not well fit- or EVER will be- for purposely breeding any species of birds. I can do reptiles (lizards) since they are pretty much independent, but still doesn't mean i ever will. :lol: :birdance:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I believe that breeder is hiding something but
Here's a thread with some links on hand-feeding:
Hand-Feeding