• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hey guys,
Recently I had been having a hard time finding a loving home for my 3rd chick. The person who was meant to take him backed out last minute and where I live these birds are worth so little that even by selling him wouldn´t guarantee a serious owner.

So I´m very curious to know, How much does a Lovebird cost in your City , State/County or Country.

In the province of Malaga, in Spain, Lovebirds sell for anywhere between 10 and 20 euros.

So 11.50 to 23 US dollars

Here´s a converter;
convert to usd - Google Search

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
So sad that just because a bird is not very expensive that some people don't think of it as being as important as a more expensive bird. :(

In the US they usually go for anywhere between $100-$200

LoveBirds for Sale
Wow, that´s a big difference. If they were sold for that here I would have felt better about selling the chick as someone who is willing to put a big amount of cash into something is always more likely to be serious and take good care of him as opposed to here in Spain where they cost less than a pizza. It´s hard to know who would give the bird a good home as anyone can whip up a tenner to pay for the bird :(

I gifted the chick to a lovely couple who are friends of my neighbour. They like birds and have experience with lovebirds. I felt better about that than selling him to a complete stranger.

Here, you can even buy peacocks for 30euros (35 US dollars). I saw Emu´s quite cheap too (and fertile eggs less than 20dollars). :(

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Lovebirds where I am (Ontario Canada) cost around $100. Budgies on the other hand are about $25.... when I bought my bird they had budgies on for $15. In hindsight I wonder if Sunny would have gotten along more with that bird?

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Southern California i was looking last year for a lovebird.

Breeder sell lovebirds for about $30-70 for standard and common mutations. $100-175 for *blue.

Pet stores will sell their standard and common mutations for $125-180 and $200-300 for a lutino or uncommon mutation.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Lovebirds where I am (Ontario Canada) cost around $100. Budgies on the other hand are about $25.... when I bought my bird they had budgies on for $15. In hindsight I wonder if Sunny would have gotten along more with that bird?
I don´t know how much budgies are here. The main pet birds are Lovebirds and Ninfas both very low cost to buy.

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Southern California i was looking last year for a lovebird.

Breeder sell lovebirds for about $30-70 for standard and common mutations. $100-175 for *blue.

Pet stores will sell their standard and common mutations for $125-180 and $200-300 for a lutino or uncommon mutation.
Big differfence in prices. Here the more common mutations are 10-12. Birds like Dutch blue and pied can go for 30-35.

The other thing here is, It is very common to be able to buy lovebirds from 23-25 days old. Obviously in pet shops they are usually fully grown.
When I gave those 3 chicks away this week they were all over 40 days old (6-7 weeks).

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Sunny&Mars :no: Budgies are selling for 6 - 10 euros (6.88 to 11.50 US dollars)
Sad to see them at that price. They´re not just affordable, they´re TOO affordable :(

Mandarin finches are 2 to 5 euros... 2.30 to 5.70 dollars

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Big differfence in prices. Here the more common mutations are 10-12. Birds like Dutch blue and pied can go for 30-35.

The other thing here is, It is very common to be able to buy lovebirds from 23-25 days old. Obviously in pet shops they are usually fully grown.
When I gave those 3 chicks away this week they were all over 40 days old (6-7 weeks).
In california, it is illegal for a pet store to let a an unweaned baby go home. The bird store i volunteer at, the birds are still in the weaning phase and people come in and socialize with them.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
In california, it is illegal for a pet store to let a an unweaned baby go home. The bird store i volunteer at, the birds are still in the weaning phase and people come in and socialize with them.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::xflove::xflove:❤❤❤ I wanna come work with you!

Great photos!

Maybe that is the same here then. I know when I first moved to Spain 7 years ago, puppies and kittens were seen in most pet shops. Something I had not seen in a long time since the UK banned it. Now you only see a couple of cats that are up for adoption, so I think puppies were banned too.

The birds seem adult, but I've never bought from a pet shop so I'm not sure. It´s much more common here for people to buy straight from the breeder as it is cheaper. And most lovebird owners bought a papillero

Last edited:

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I'm in Michigan and I saw one ad that had a baby Lovebird listed at $50, but the other ads I saw were $150 and $175.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Mine were around $200 dollars each, but they were both hand fed. I know at the time, I felt this was a little steep. But then I know hand feeding is very time consuming.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Mine were around $200 dollars each, but they were both hand fed. I know at the time, I felt this was a little steep. But then I know hand feeding is very time consuming.
:o: So If i was in America my birds would have ¨cost¨ over 1000 dollars, whereas here in Spain they only just scrape 100euros (115dollars).
Incredible how much of a difference there is

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
On Maui they go from 30-70 for singles and 65-130 for pairs, depending on species.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
On Maui they go from 30-70 for singles and 65-130 for pairs, depending on species.

I saw that on the little island of las Palmas (gran canaria) they were sold for about that.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Just, if anyone is wondering. I´ve only spent 30 US dollars buying birds.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
My lovebird, Niko, was $85 at the pet store. I got Tangle for $40 from a breeder. Starburst was a rehome for $35. Patch and Finbar were both rescues I claimed
for free.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My lovebird, Niko, was $85 at the pet store. I got Tangle for $40 from a breeder. Starburst was a rehome for $35. Patch and Finbar were both rescues I claimed
for free.

They´re all so beautiful ❤

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My two English Budgies we priced above the norm at $125 each but now they are going for $200 from some breeders.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Birds sold by breeders are quite a bit cheaper than those from pet stores here, in Ontario. I got my pied from a registered breeder for 40$ where as my store bought black masked was about 80$ (Which is totally backwards since the first was handfed and the latter was not)