• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much hope is there for birds with heart disease?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad the physical exam was good. Hopefully that nail trim will help him with the tender leg on landings! I'll hope for good results from the blood work!!

AGS

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ava
I worry the sildenafil won’t help him. We still have about a week left for it to work since increasing it but he’s not really improving. He pretty much sleeps all day still and hasn’t whistled. His benazepril can still be increased though and there’s one more medication we can try, called pentoxifylline. That would replace the isoxsuprine and apparently it can work better for birds that don’t respond that well to the isoxsuprine.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He’s such a cutie!! How has Widget been today? I don’t know anything about the heart medications but hope he will get some relief soon!

AGS

Real Name
Ava
He has been playing today but honestly I’m not sure how much better he feels. He’s still pretty low energy when he’s not playing but I think he is just determined to play. He keeps trying to whistle but just doesn’t have the energy.

AGS

Real Name
Ava
He has shown some improvement. We also started him on the pentoxifylline.

Does anyone know about omega 3 fatty acids? The vet mentioned that those could help him. But she mentioned fish oil, is that the best one? I know some people on here use red palm oil but I wasn’t sure if that was the same thing or different than fish oil.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Does anyone know about omega 3 fatty acids? The vet mentioned that those could help him. But she mentioned fish oil, is that the best one? I know some people on here use red palm oil but I wasn’t sure if that was the same thing or different than fish oil.
Flax seeds, chia seeds and hemp seeds have omega 3
Walnuts have some omega 3
interesting table for nuts:
The Omega 3 to 6 Fat Ratio of Common Nuts [Data] | VegFAQs

AGS

Real Name
Ava
Okay, thank you. I just ordered some red palm oil. Does anyone know the dosage? I can ask the vet if necessary but for the fish oil I was told .02ml since he is about 80 grams so I’m not sure if the red palm oil is the same. And is it daily/twice daily/etc.?

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Okay, thank you. I just ordered some red palm oil. Does anyone know the dosage? I can ask the vet if necessary but for the fish oil I was told .02ml since he is about 80 grams so I’m not sure if the red palm oil is the same. And is it daily/twice daily/etc.?
The answer is not exact, it's "just a little bit"
My birds like it still firm from the fridge on a small piece of tortillia. I buy Nutiva brand.
This RPO product has a suggested avian dosage here:
For young or sick birds, feed 1 or 2 drops per 3 ounces of body weight. Feather-Glo
another suggests:
Directions: Mix 1/4 teaspoon per 350 gm of body weight into your pet's diet. UnRuffledRx Red Palm Oil for Parrots | Sustainable, Organic, 8 oz.

AGS

Real Name
Ava
@Hankmacaw or anyone who may know. Can aspirating medicine cause an infection with no/mild symptoms? I always thought it would cause pneumonia which is known for being pretty severe. Widget breathed in his medicine somewhere around the 8th of this month (can’t remember the exact date).

He doesn’t really have any symptoms besides vague things that might be unrelated (he’s had some drainage from his eyes once in a while but that’s happened for years, not just recently, and he breathes pretty heavy but I always only notice it when he’s been exercising and that could also be the heart disease).

Basically I’m just worried because he seemed to be improving on the sildenafil but then after only a few days of improvement he got worse again and hasn’t improved after that. He just had a check up on the 29th with blood work so I really can’t think of anything else that could be wrong besides that since nothing else has changed besides him breathing in the medicine. Unless the medicine just didn’t work that well and it is still just the heart issue. I just hate to keep taking him to the vet if it’s unnecessary since it’s so stressful for him. But I also probably will call the vet tomorrow to see if they think I should bring him in.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Aspirations come in all severities. Jasper had to take six syringes of meds in the morning and 5 at night for 21 years. Over that period of time one is almost sure to get at least one aspiration. In fact, when Dr. Driggers looked at one of her many xrays, he said it looks like she is resolving an aspiration in her lung. I saw it and it was resolving. When a bird dies from aspiration, it was a major event or it has become infected and not treated.

AGS

Real Name
Ava
Thank you. I did email the vet and she said after that long he most likely would be showing some other symptoms. I’m going to schedule an appointment because she said after this long it would be good to do x-rays again especially since his condition seems to progress pretty rapidly. It’s been almost 6 months since his last x-ray.

I posted another thread asking for tips on avoiding aspiration if you have any advice. I used to give him the medicine with help from my brother but now I have to give it to him on my own which I’ve never done before.

AGS

Real Name
Ava
So far no improvement with the pentoxifylline. But it has about 1-2 weeks left to work since it can take 3-4 weeks total.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has Widget been in for another x-ray yet, or does that come after the 4th week of the new med?

AGS

Real Name
Ava
He had an x-ray last week and nothing has changed (no heart enlargement, fluid build up, etc.). Unfortunately it’s impossible to see improvements on the x-ray but we can see if anything gets worse.

He had aspirated his medicine (I thought he did before because he made some weird sounds but this time it was very obvious he aspirated). So he got the x-ray to check for pneumonia as well as check his heart. He didn’t have pneumonia but his breathing did sound louder than usual so he was put on Clavamox for 10 days (until the 4th) since it’s very likely it would have developed.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little man! Has his appetite changed in the last few weeks with the medicine changes and the aspiration event? I'm sure that knocked his energy level down a bit, too.

It's great news to hear that the x-rays showed no deterioration in his current condition! Give your sweet boy a scratch on the head from his AA fans!

AGS

Real Name
Ava
He tends to eat more when he’s feeling bad, I guess because he needs the energy. So with the heart disease combined with the antibiotic upsetting his stomach he is eating a lot of food. But the aspiration did make him feel pretty bad, and it also takes him a couple of days to recover from the stress of going to the vet, especially with the drop off visits. Breaks my heart when he’s screaming as they carry him away from me. He definitely will get lots of scritches tomorrow.