• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How Long to Wean a Cape Parrot?

BirdyGirly

Meeting neighbors
Hi! Our baby Cape Parrot is currently still with the breeder, and will be going down to one feeding a day. His hatch date was 02/25/2023, and all of his feathers have come in. I’m wondering if anyone can give me a ballpark figure of how much longer it will take until he’s fully weaned and ready to come home? I don’t want to rush this important process, and I know each bird is different, but I’m just curious. Thanks bunches!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's pretty individual, especially if they are being abundance weaned instead of forced. Most smaller parrots start to wean around 8 weeks, with many of them fully weaned around 12 weeks. Larger birds can take longer; 12-18 weeks for medium birds, up to 6-12 months for macaws. However, it's not uncommon for many babies to still beg for food after this point. In the wild, babies get fed by their parents much longer than we allow in captivity.

If they are being forced weaned, then whenever the breeder cuts them off from food, I guess.

Have you asked your breeder what a common wean time is for their babies?

BirdyGirly

Meeting neighbors
It's pretty individual, especially if they are being abundance weaned instead of forced. Most smaller parrots start to wean around 8 weeks, with many of them fully weaned around 12 weeks. Larger birds can take longer; 12-18 weeks for medium birds, up to 6-12 months for macaws. However, it's not uncommon for many babies to still beg for food after this point. In the wild, babies get fed by their parents much longer than we allow in captivity.

If they are being forced weaned, then whenever the breeder cuts them off from food, I guess.

Have you asked your breeder what a common wean time is for their babies?
Thank you! He’s a Cape Parrot, almost four months, and they said he’s going down to one feeding this week. They want to then watch him for two more weeks to make sure he’s eating properly, and hopefully, we’ll be able to take him home after that if all goes well. They basically gave me that as a ballpark estimate, but did say that all birds are different…

When they cut back to one hand feeding a day, do they only do that for a week? Thanks so very much for your help!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you! He’s a Cape Parrot, almost four months, and they said he’s going down to one feeding this week. They want to then watch him for two more weeks to make sure he’s eating properly, and hopefully, we’ll be able to take him home after that if all goes well. They basically gave me that as a ballpark estimate, but did say that all birds are different…

When they cut back to one hand feeding a day, do they only do that for a week? Thanks so very much for your help!
I honestly don't know, sorry!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I would never go by a calendar for any bird. The baby will start to refuse feedings when it's "thinning" (losing weight in preparation for flight). The baby will "tell" you when it doesn't want a feeding. In my experience, babies refuse all feedings except for the last feeding, but I'm sure that's not true for everybody. And just because a baby refuses feedings for a few days doesn't mean it won't decide it wants some down the road. My GW eventually refused all feedings but the night time one before weaning.

As the bird gets older, like down to one or two feedings, I'd also offer steamed sweet potato and super ripe bananas, in addition to other foods. You have to teach them to eat a variety.

BirdyGirly

Meeting neighbors
I would never go by a calendar for any bird. The baby will start to refuse feedings when it's "thinning" (losing weight in preparation for flight). The baby will "tell" you when it doesn't want a feeding. In my experience, babies refuse all feedings except for the last feeding, but I'm sure that's not true for everybody. And just because a baby refuses feedings for a few days doesn't mean it won't decide it wants some down the road. My GW eventually refused all feedings but the night time one before weaning.

As the bird gets older, like down to one or two feedings, I'd also offer steamed sweet potato and super ripe bananas, in addition to other foods. You have to teach them to eat a variety.
Thank you!