• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures How I feed my little birds veggies with no waste

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
*waste caused by bird doesn't count ;)
Hopefully this is helpful to someone :)

Each of my birds gets about a teaspoon of salad a day (like a real metal teaspoon, not the measurement) so it can be difficult to make such a small amount of food without wasting some of it. Before, I would use a lot of fresh foods but end up wasting some because it goes bad before I use it up. Now, I freeze almost everything to avoid any additional waste. To buy one red or yellow pepper and chop of pieces of it daily would always result in me tossing the last bit. So now, when I buy a pepper, I will chop it, lay it flat and freeze it, then transfer to a sealed bag.
This has been working really well for me and would work great for people who have just one bird or a couple of budgies etc.
In an ideal world I would feed all fresh foods without freezing but it's too wasteful for us.

Here's a look at the breakfast I made today.
I pulled out these ingredients,
IMG_20190929_130845.jpg
IMG_20190929_130927.jpg
I usually use fresh green peppers and carrots, but today I had no carrots and I'm still trying to use up all the frozen green peppers from a few weeks ago which I froze, I only have a little left.
The pasta, zucchini, yellow and green peppers I froze myself.
The kiwi is fresh. I haven't tried freezing fruit yet but I want to try frozen mango. I use up one fruit then get a different one. So this is about a quarter/a third of the kiwi, once it is used up I'll maybe get an apricot or something else small.
I don't always give sweetcorn or brussel sprout.
If I cook something for dinner that has a new veggie in, I will save a piece in the fridge overnight for the birds.

This food is for two days for six lovebirds, apart from the kiwi which is one days worth.

Here's how I make breakfast;

I put it all into the food processor, apart from these,
IMG_20190929_131408.jpg I cut the stalk off the broccoli and put that into the processor,

This is what it looks like,
IMG_20190929_131649.jpg

I transfer it to a tub, and mix in some quinoa,
IMG_20190929_133627.jpg

And then put a teaspoon worth into everyone's dish, sprinkle with poppy seeds and a tiny amount of millet, (Adélie gets lots of millet because she's not taking to veggies well)
IMG_20190929_132753.jpg
Big dish is for two, Lapis and Nube. Clear plastic dish is Aldoras, the metal one is Jaimes (for reference, it's 150ml/7cm). The white dish with lots of millet is Adélies and the other one is Sydneys. Half of the mix remains in the tub for tomorrow. (kept in the fridge, I will heat it a little in the microwave tomorrow before serving)

IMG_20190929_132848.jpg IMG_20190929_132829.jpg

IMG_20190929_132811.jpg
Broccoli,
Cauliflower,
Peas,
Sweetcorn,
Carrot,
Swiss chard,
Zucchini,
Pumpkin,
Green pepper,
Yellow pepper,
Green beans,
Brussel sprout,
Kiwi,
Pasta,
Herbs,
Quinoa,
Poppy seeds,
Millet.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
That looks really good! Your birds are lucky to have you! Thanks for the details.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
That's some good food right there. I live the single life so I only have a small freezer, but I can always find space for my birbs' needs.
Why did I forget about chard? I have to try it.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Really nice! What a great idea!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
We have a fridge freezer so the freezer is 3 drawers, I only use the top drawer for birds stuff, it's packed :lol:
(my middle drawer is quite empty, only a bag of frozen chips in there, so I lay the trays in there to freeze stuff :) )
You could always get a second hand small freezer from somewhere to store some stuff if you ever needed more space :)
I buy frozen chard, the problem is it comes as a brick and so I hack off chunks with a bread knife :blink: