• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you clean your bird cages in winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to be able to wheel most of my cages outside in decent weather and be able to pressure clean them. Now, since I've changed the bird area, and most of the birds are upstairs, it's next to impossible, unless I want to be taking apart and carrying cages downstairs <not gonna happen>.

So, I do what others do ... I have an old think comforter I roll the cage unto to absorb water dripping, and scrub the old fashioned way. I also use a steam cleaner and a small, hand held, battery operated scrubber <looks like a big electric toothbrush>. Between the scrubber, and the steam cleaner, I can get even the tiny little nooks and crannies clean.

My cleaner of choice is good, old fashioned white vinegar. After everything is clean, I do a light spray down with Pet Focus <soon to change to the F10 Biocare>.

Fortunately, the cages really don't get that bad, daily light wipe downs keep most everything in decent shape. The only birds I have that are really piggies are my Caiques, their cage requires more than just a daily wipe down to keep on top of things.

Strategic positioning of perches and such really helps with poopies on things as well.

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
I don't think I have ever seen a steam cleaner here in Iceland. How does one use a steam cleaner? But as how I clean the cage, I take the tray and seed guards and wash in the bathtub. For the cage itself I use a cloth and hot soapy water and vinegar and then dry the cage with a towel.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I used to do it in the tub, but now i can't because i ruined the old one and we're redoing the bathroom. :p now, in the winter i get a bucket of hot soapy water with vinegar, too. as soon as its warm enough we're outside for a hosing down, though!

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Lol ..

I used to parts in the tub as well, that was before I spend a small fortune redoing the bathrooms. Now, I have an acrylic tub, and not going to risk messing it up with the grates and such. I've long since removed all the grates from my cages anyway .. they're useless for the most part, IMO .. just another thing to clean. On cages that I can't remove the grate from because of the gap it leaves, I just cover the grate with paper.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Soap and water and a washrag/sponge and bucket. I clean what I can and whatever drips onto the floor gets mopped up. I have all hardwood and plastic runners under the cages so it's not too hard to clean up. In the spring I'll take them back outside for a good pressure washing.

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
Crystal that is too funny!:hehe: I can just picture you with bird cages in back of a pick-up truck rolling through the car wash with everyone staring at you :laughing4:
Whats better is...she has a conversion van:hehe:

and uh...I do it too, in my mountianeer.
.25 wash

At the car wash
Talkin' about the car wash yeah!
Come on and sing it for me car wash.
Car wash yeah!

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
In the summer I will take Isis cage outside and give it a good scrubbing other than that I wash hers daily and I do take her greats out and give them a good scrubbing with vinegar and water and I also steam it at times too... Her toys I have thrown in the dish washer on a high heat and dry them on a high heat. I only use soap on her plastic things which then get washed in a vinegar and water mix and rinsed and dryed with paper towels.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I use a steamer.

Cassidy

Strolling the yard
I use a steamer.
I need a steamer.

Mine are too big to wheel outside, Jada's doesn't even fit through the doors and weighs a couple hundred lbs at least. I just have to scrub, but they really aren't that bad in the grand scheme of things.

Cassidy (WBC) and DJ's (BFA) cage is fairly easy to clean. Just pull the grate and trays (playtop and cage) out, soak in the tub in scalding hot water with a smidge of bleach. Scrub, rinse, dry, and replace.

Wipe down bars as needed but they are rather clean on their bars. Wipe down the seed guards (poop bombs at times if they sit on the edge of their playtop).

Perches and toys are strategically arranged so as to avoid poop hitting them from other perches.

Jada on the other hand....sigh. What can I say. Macaws are messy. I whip out the poop off bottle for her cage and start scrubbing away. I wish I could fit it out the door. At times I'm desperate enough to stuff her in a cage small enough to do it, but don't worry...I don't. :p

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I take the grates and trays and wash them in the tub.
I wash the playstands in the tub as well.
I have a hose hooked to our spare shower that we don't use as a shower.
It's for washing dogs but great for bird stuff.

For the rest I mix white vinegar hot, if not boiling water, and a little dawn into a spray bottle, I spray it on, I let it sit, then wipe it down.
I'll spray with hot water after everything is scrubbed off
then towel dry to preserve the cage longer.

I have heard pressure washing really cuts years off of the cages life.
And leaving them wet.
And washing too much.
And birds bathing in their water bowls
lol

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Whats better is...she has a conversion van:hehe:

and uh...I do it too, in my mountianeer.
.25 wash

At the car wash
Talkin' about the car wash yeah!
Come on and sing it for me car wash.
Car wash yeah!

HAHAHAH YEP! I do! I haul them out, line them up, and SPAY DOWN! hahahah. I use soapy water and scrub first then use the sprayer to spray and scrub what I couldnt get. Works great!

GRANNYKAT50

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
kathy
I have a question about vinegar. I was told to use apple cider vinegar and now most people say white vinegar. What's the best?:mad:

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Apple cider vinegar is what most people put in their birds water I think.
I haven't heard about using it to clean I don't believe.
I use white.

I don't know the difference between the two and why one is use one way and the other a different way, so if someone could clarify maybe.

Could someone also explain what exactly it does when you put it in the water (ACV) Thanks

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
ACV for things that will be eaten or drinking water, white vinegar for cleaning (safe to use in food too, but doesn't have the supposed 'good' qualities real ACV does).

CKJ

Real Name
Cindy
I also use the Magic Eraser ~

Kathy

I wash down my 3 cages daily. Makes it much easier and don't have to do a major cleaning.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I use the pressure washer, in the summer/fall, and in the winter I just use my steam cleaner, and magic erasers, too, hehe! I have never thought about taking them to the car wash, LOL!

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
In the summer, I wheel them outside. I have thought of taking them to the do it yourself car wash and using their pressure hoses to wash them.

In the winter, I have been doing the pieces in the bathroom tub. I can also attest that baby wipes are GREAT for wiping down bars and getting the junk that accumulates in corners and channels. They take it right off!!

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
I clean 2x a week with a good vacuume and a bucket of hot soapy water and ocasionally a little bleach.

I used to hose the cages down outside but have recently given up because with the hose or pressure washer it forces water into any hole/cack in the cages and causes it to rust from the inside out. I actually spent this summer replacing all of my cages because of this.... even my nicer HQ's rusted out after 2 years. :(
But I have this really great vacuume called the Rainbow, its wonderful! can go from wet to dry, hard surface to carpet, will suck up anything that will fit down the tube.. Probably my favorite vacuume of all time :) My mothers is nearly 15 years old and still works better than half the vacs on the market today- even compared to the dyson's!

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
I live in Canada, Ontario and it’s way to cold to bring them out plus the cages are WAY to bring out even in the summer. Once a month I take EVERYTHING out of the cages and scrub them down with vinegar. I also scrub the cage bars with soap and vinegar. I also have a steam cleaner I use once a month with the big cage cleaning. I also do this with my chinchillas. I have six cages in total to clean this way. Lots of work but worth it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.