• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you clean your bird cages in winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazeybird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Houston
Today I had Blazey's cage out on the deck, scrubbing it down while is snowing, and I got to thinking. Im freezing my butt off out there and its only about 25 or so, and I only have one cage to clean. How do you, who live in really cold places like Canada and upper states clean your cages in the winter? In some places (Canada esp.) where it is at -20+ all the time where you cant possibly clean the cage before it froze, how do you do it!?! Esp. those with huge cages. I know I cant even get Blazeys cage in the shower so most of you have cages that don't fit im sure. How do you do it?

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Most of my cages are too large to bring outside...for example, Nani's cage is 500 pounds! I take apart as much as possible...trays, grates, etc and scrub everything...I also pull out the steamer once in a while to get in the cracks and crevices.

drop

I have never cleaned a cage outside. I dismantle them and clean them in the bathtub/shower.

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
hmmm, I may have to do that. This is my first winter with this new huge cage, it would be such a pain to dismantle, but I guess thats better than freezing...

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I just pull things out and stick them in the tub!

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Mine won't fit between the angle of the doorway and the narrow, circa 1964 hallway. I grab a bucket of warm soapy water, a washcloth, a drying towel and a towel for the floor and haul it into the birdroom to git'r'done.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I use my steamer and a brush with ivory dish soap mixed vanodine. I also soak the toys and boings and nets in tub with very hot water and had ivoty dish soap and vanodine also. It works great that way.:)

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
I love the magic eraser! They work great on cages!

M

M.C Bird Rescue

At the CAR WASH....AT THE CAR WASH YA!!!! Sing it with me.. hahahahaha

Yes people look at me funny! But dang it..The tub is for people and baths. Bird/people/animals baths! I try and get them to the/.....sing it....CAR WASH

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer

Yes people look at me funny! But dang it..The tub is for people and baths. Bird/people/animals baths! I try and get them to the/.....sing it....CAR WASH
:rofl::rofl::rofl:I have done that before too! I loaded them up in the truck and off to the...CAR WASH lol we went hahahaha

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I grab a bucket of warm soapy water, a washcloth, a drying towel and a towel for the floor and haul it into the birdroom to git'r'done.
Pretty similar to this.
Bucket of hot soapy water (with a little added vinegar), a cloth and elbow grease for the hard to reach corners (the ones I can't clean with a daily wipe).

Cory

Real Name
Cory

:laughing6: I never thought of that before!!!

I've tried different things... Trying to fit some in the shower, buckets of soap and water, a steam cleaner, etc. It's hard work no matter what! :( I need a new system too! :D

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
If it's not freezing cold outside I use hubby's pressure washer. Added bonus; he's afraid I might mess up the pressure washer so he helps!! Other times I put the grates in the tub and scrub away.

Thanks for the tip on the magic eraser; I'll give that a try and just rinse good afterwards. Never even thought of it.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I usually do the bucket of hot soapy water. Sometimes I use the steam cleaner. It gets the job done!

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I must be very lucky mangos cage is easy to clean i whisk it out use a vacume to get anything loose up that i missed and then i just steam clean it mind you hes only realy in it to sleep so it isnt that dirty even the grate is only dirty in one spot,,lolafter steaming i just wipe it with a cloth that has vinager on it .
I have to say though it is so easy im ashamed to even complain i have to clean it

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill

Crystal that is too funny!:hehe: I can just picture you with bird cages in back of a pick-up truck rolling through the car wash with everyone staring at you :laughing4:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well I certainly don't do it outside!!! Only a bird brain would do that!!! :D

My aviaries are permanent fixtures. A steamer and elbow grease works for me.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
There's only one way (here in Canada!) we use Avi Clean enzyme cleaner...works better than any other product (in my opinion)

Doris

Status
Not open for further replies.