• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I get my cockatiel to drink water

Smol-birb

Checking out the neighborhood
We got it a few days ago and it’s three months old. It’s drinking formula twice a day and and eating solids at midday. It won’t drink water, and we’re trying to fully wean it. How can I get it to drink water?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If it's eating formula and the solids you mention are fruit or veg then it'll be getting enough water from them. Could also be that you just don't see it drink.

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
You don't. Instead, you keep on your regular routine, and it should be, like @Ripshod said, be getting enough water from it's formula. As long as s/he isn't dehydrated, then s/he is fine.
(water wise anyways)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:

Put the water next to the adult foods you are offering. Be sure to leave those in the cage at all times now.
It is important they have access to seeds/pellets all day long so they can wean properly. Offer veggies right after formula feedings.
If you only offer adult foods at midday, your bird will never wean because they have no food for the other parts of the day and will always be hungry when you offer formula.