• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How bad is quaker's puberty

Sfnegron

Meeting neighbors
Hello
Pickles is only 7 months old. But I'm getting a little nervous about quaker's puberty. I had read terrible stories about it. He is such a good boy I don't want him to change. Please share your stories and how you helped the bird to make it an easier process.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
There were a few changes in behavior for my quaker:

1. He would masturbate on his happy hut all the time. Removed the hut and replaced it with a less attractive alternative - problem solved!

2. He became defensive of anything that resembled a nest. I do my best to try to limit his access to these things so it's rarely an issue.

3. He became slightly more cage aggressive, and simply doesn't want fingers in his cage. He has no problem with me removing him from the cage or changing food/water, though.

I'm sure I've been lucky in that I don't feel like I've had to deal with any drastic behavioral changes. Pippin has never been a cuddlemonster that demands scritches, and has always been a bit aloof. If your Quaker is sweet, you might notice more of a difference.

Sfnegron

Meeting neighbors
He is not The sweetest Quaker. But he is not cage aggressive at all. He let me touched him and kiss him through the cage bars. I can touch any toy or him in his cage. He doesn't let me pet his head or his back but he let me kiss his neck, touch his peak and rub his chest. He is very nipping with other members of my family but not with me. He is very vocal and playful and likes to be around the action. I just don't want him to be impossible to handle

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
my quaker was caged with his sister before i got him he just wanted to bond with any other bird including a g2 when i got a nanday conure they bonded problem solved

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Topaz never did any of those things. I handle her a lot and never saw enough change to bother her or me. She didn't lay her first egg till she was about four years old.
I read her ques and know when she needs to be left along.

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Jasper was a super sweet momma's boy until he was around a year and a half. Then he did a complete 360 and become extremely cage aggressive and started screaming. It was a rough few months, but once I learned what his limits were things calmed down a lot. He will attack if I go into the cage, so I remove him before attempting to clean or rearrange things. I didn't really give into his screaming, so now he only does it once or twice a day and I just ignore him. He also switched his favorite person. He will let my husband handle him without biting.

It all sounds horrible, but in reality change is a normal part of growing up. Jasper isn't a bad bird, just grown up and doing what comes naturally to him.