• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hooooo buddy do I have some questions

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
First, Isadora FINALLY accepted a bath - and loved being misted so much there was an argument afterwards about bath time being over. I actually had to remove her water bowls from her cage because she kept running back in there to throw water around. Here’s a video of her losing her mind

Second, yes, she’s got an upcoming vet appt for Tuesday.

Now, questions: she’s got that big gap in feathers on her chest, and I don’t think that’s supposed to be there. She doesn’t like her chest touched, so I haven’t noticed the extent of it before - She’s still new enough to me that we’re still working within her boundaries without me stressing her out more than absolutely necessary. It doesn’t appear raw, I’ve touched it now, and she wasn’t comfortable but allowed me to do it. It doesn’t seem painful, and is actually entirely smooth. It’s not bumpy like I would think recently plucked skin would be.

Again, there’s not been any feathers I’ve cleaned up in the bottom of her cage, on the floor, off her play stand, off me… the only feathers lost have been one wing feather (big one that was sitting weird for a few days and finally dropped off) and two feathers lost when she attempted a flight here. So, I’m at a loss on this.

Next question - she’s bald under her crest. When dry, you can’t tell at all. Is that normal?

Last question - while wet, I see this this on the front of her left wing. It looks like a scab, and feeling it, feels pointy? It’s the size of a ball tip pen, and actually kinda feels the same as well. What do y’all make of this?

Otherwise, she’s having the time of her life. That bath has got her WOUND UP! She’s running all over the place, dancing, babbling, wings flapping, tail shaking - She’s having the best day ever. We wrapped up in a towel and I got her mostly dry (super cute, she loved it… for about 45sec). The bird room has a space heater that I turned up a bit so it’s very, very toasty in here, so I’m not worried about her getting too chilly.

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Loved bath video. Yup alot of cockatoos are bald under crests. Everyone of them I have ever had pleasure of knowing has the bald spot under their crests. As far as bald spot on the chest don't know @JLcribber @melissasparrots @Macawnutz

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's super cute. Glad she enjoyed her bath. Bath day for Elvis is also bath DAY. He will bathe repeatedly throughout the day in his water bowl after I mist him. I let him. I just put paper down to protect the floor and resign myself to wiping down his cage and changing papers all day. Yes, bald spot behind the crest is normal. As for her chest, it's possible that if there's follicle damage that those feathers aren't going to grow back and perhaps that's why it's smooth, but a vet should hopefully be able to advise.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I love the bath video she looks like she’s proper loving life there too cute :heart:

I hope she’s not plucking you are worried aren’t you can tell but hopefully your doing an amazing job and hopefully if she was at her old house she loving life with you

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
She's super cute. Glad she enjoyed her bath. Bath day for Elvis is also bath DAY. He will bathe repeatedly throughout the day in his water bowl after I mist him. I let him. I just put paper down to protect the floor and resign myself to wiping down his cage and changing papers all day. Yes, bald spot behind the crest is normal. As for her chest, it's possible that if there's follicle damage that those feathers aren't going to grow back and perhaps that's why it's smooth, but a vet should hopefully be able to advise.
Yeah she’s still throwing water all over the place :roflmao: She seems to be having a grand time, but I think I’m going to have to take everyone’s water away until she calms down - she’s even going into Tteok’s cage to get into his

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I love the bath video she looks like she’s proper loving life there too cute :heart:

I hope she’s not plucking you are worried aren’t you can tell but hopefully your doing an amazing job and hopefully if she was at her old house she loving life with you
I ended up asking her previous owners, and they said they never noticed plucking before :shrug: they seemed surprised at that bald chest, so I dunno.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I ended up asking her previous owners, and they said they never noticed plucking before :shrug: they seemed surprised at that bald chest, so I dunno.
Maybe she always had it then and doesn’t pluck

how’s burt and pudge I would love an update only if it’s not too hard for you

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
how’s burt and pudge I would love an update only if it’s not too hard for you
I don’t have any pictures yet, but she said they’ve settled in perfectly like a cute little married couple :unsure1: which I’m happy about, but still sad about lol

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I don’t have any pictures yet, but she said they’ve settled in perfectly like a cute little married couple :unsure1: which I’m happy about, but still sad about lol
So glad they are settled I can imagine big hugs :heart:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
The lutino cockatiels usually have a bald under their crest
Yup I had 2 lutino cockatiels, Rocky was super sensitive about his bald patch. Mom don't touch that ok. Sweet Pea would snuggle under my chin and maneuver into position to have her patch rubbed.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I checked Tteok just to see (he’s just a normal grey) and no bald patch. He wasn’t thrilled with my peek either :roflmao:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Never does Bebe and he was happy about mom peeking.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Do you have a pic of the bald patch on the chest?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My U2 has a bald patch on her chest & always has had it. Certain times of the year you can see it better than others. Her chest spot is snooth, no sign of any feathers ever growing there. I got her at 7 months of age & she's soon to be 24.

Most Too's have a bald patch under their crest. Jasmine loves me to rub her bald spot on her head.

Your bird getting excited at taking a shower is a good thing. Many birds get all excited when they shower. Perhaps a table perch in the tub with a handheld shower would save a lot of water all over the cage & floor. Once dry she should spend a lot of time preening & zipping her feathers back in place. Hopefully the shower will now make them all look better.

The spot on her wing tip looks like she may have smacked it on something & broke the skin open.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I can't help but wonder if the bald patch on the chest that you are talking about is the area covering the keel bone- if it is then no bird has feathers down that part as far as I am aware.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I am wondering if it isn't a brood patch. Sweet Pea had one even though she was cockatiel, the tiniest of the cockatoo family.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Right down the middle? The skin over the keel bone?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Right down the middle? The skin over the keel bone?
Yeah, it goes all the way down from there, but also a little further up and a little wider across