• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hooooo buddy do I have some questions

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope your vet visit provides answers for you and your funny, soggy girl. Those are some very wet french fries!

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's normal for cockatoos to have a bare spot behind the crest. Both of my cockatoos have some bare skin on either side of their breast bone. It's more pronounced in my sulfur, but I just checked and even the goffin's has it.
That little red spike on the wing...I'd keep an eye on it. It looks to me like a new feather coming in that maybe got bumped and the tip broke off. It's probably not a big deal.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First, Isadora FINALLY accepted a bath - and loved being misted so much there was an argument afterwards about bath time being over. I actually had to remove her water bowls from her cage because she kept running back in there to throw water around. Here’s a video of her losing her mind

Second, yes, she’s got an upcoming vet appt for Tuesday.

Now, questions: she’s got that big gap in feathers on her chest, and I don’t think that’s supposed to be there. She doesn’t like her chest touched, so I haven’t noticed the extent of it before - She’s still new enough to me that we’re still working within her boundaries without me stressing her out more than absolutely necessary. It doesn’t appear raw, I’ve touched it now, and she wasn’t comfortable but allowed me to do it. It doesn’t seem painful, and is actually entirely smooth. It’s not bumpy like I would think recently plucked skin would be.

Again, there’s not been any feathers I’ve cleaned up in the bottom of her cage, on the floor, off her play stand, off me… the only feathers lost have been one wing feather (big one that was sitting weird for a few days and finally dropped off) and two feathers lost when she attempted a flight here. So, I’m at a loss on this.

Next question - she’s bald under her crest. When dry, you can’t tell at all. Is that normal?

Last question - while wet, I see this this on the front of her left wing. It looks like a scab, and feeling it, feels pointy? It’s the size of a ball tip pen, and actually kinda feels the same as well. What do y’all make of this?

Otherwise, she’s having the time of her life. That bath has got her WOUND UP! She’s running all over the place, dancing, babbling, wings flapping, tail shaking - She’s having the best day ever. We wrapped up in a towel and I got her mostly dry (super cute, she loved it… for about 45sec). The bird room has a space heater that I turned up a bit so it’s very, very toasty in here, so I’m not worried about her getting too chilly.
Oh Meghan, I'm just loving your videos... Already subscribed.... Isadora is such a lovely girl :heart:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Now, questions: she’s got that big gap in feathers on her chest, and I don’t think that’s supposed to be there.
That would be the crop. Every parrot has one and the majority of them are bald.
Next question - she’s bald under her crest. When dry, you can’t tell at all. Is that normal?
Every cockatoo has a bald head.
Last question - while wet, I see this this on the front of her left wing. It looks like a scab, and feeling it, feels pointy? It’s the size of a ball tip pen, and actually kinda feels the same as well. What do y’all make of this?
That would be her elbow. It could be injured.

There are many tracts of bare skin on all birds. The only time you can see them is when a bird is wet because the feathers are not "aligned".

74F81A44-3357-401C-A760-DCD0A147AB1B.jpeg

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
That would be the crop. Every parrot has one and the majority of them are bald.

Every cockatoo has a bald head.

That would be her elbow. It could be injured.

There are many tracts of bare skin on all birds. The only time you can see them is when a bird is wet because the feathers are not "aligned".

View attachment 421573
That’s good to know. As my cockatiel would sooner bite my nose off than get wet, I hadn’t managed to see too many wet birds.