• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi there,new here. I have some bird questions...

Nath3500

Checking out the neighborhood
Since a month ago I was given 2 budgies that I think they are pretty young by the eye but maybe I be worng, I can't tell really.

Thing is there and some random detail that keep me wondering.

Before continue, where I live I am pretty sure will be hard to find avian vets... I have try asking but they tell me better try consulting on some universities as a second option though they pretty much alway put pets to sleep so I would rater avoid them and see if I can do something before go to the last plan... (really none tells me where cna I find a avian vet no matter where I ask anf google it doesn't show ay place I could go on my city)

I feed them with seed, the male keeps crunching the seeds and I am not sure if is because is the only way he knows on how to eat or not.
The female sneezes a lot and sometimes it sounds like weet though I don't see her nose weet really, she eats well as I see
The weirdest thing may be that they don't drink much watter or now when I see them and so
Thy don't know to eat other thing that are not seeds.

English is not my first lenguage and this may be too late to check my grammar but I am really wondering some of this and if those are normal.

Is nice meet you all and thanks before hand.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your budgies.

It sounds like it's difficult to have your birds looked at by an AV...so your second alternative is to have them looked at by a "regular" vet.

As for eating...try chopping a few vegetables into very fine pieces and give them to your birds....and keep doing it. I know it sounds funny, but "model' eating the veggies in front of the birds...and show them that you enjoy the veggies. When birds see a member of their flock -you- eating, they will become curious about what's going on.
It's sometimes a long, drawn out process to have birds begin to eat their veggies, but it does happen..you need to be patient and persistent about the situation...:)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you tell us where you live we may be able to guide you to vets. That is a shame there are few vets there. It does sound like your birds need to see one. As for diet budgies do eat seeds but this should not be their complete diet. If they continue to eat only seeds their liver will eventually not work correctly. Budgies need clean, fresh foods such as kale, Romaine lettuce, broccoli and the orange/ yellow foods like carrots, sweet potatoes and squash. They will also enjoy some grains once in a while like brown rice and quinoa. They do not much go for fruit. Fresh water should always be available as well as a clean cage and toys to play with.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. You can try to find a vet here: Association of Avian Veterinarians I do not believe that they are all avian certified but the ones who aren't generally have lots of experience working with birds.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome I hope you enjoy your time here :)

It sounds like it's difficult to have your birds looked at by an AV...so your second alternative is to have them looked at by a "regular" vet.
I very much second this. Sneezing can be a symptom that your budgie may have a infection. I've dealt with this in the past, and at time I didn't think sneezing was that big of deal and didn't take my bird promptly to the vets. When I did finally take him he was quite sick. :( Thankfully he recovered but he needed antibiotics. Wet sneezing is definitely worse than dry but in my experience it can be hard to tell unless your bird sneezes right by you and you can see it or feel it.

While going to a regular vet isn't ideal they do they have the ability to give you some antibiotics. Which might be needed in your budgie's case. I have gone to a regular vet in the past when I had trouble finding an avian vet. And they were able to prescribe antibiotics when needed. Hopefully you'll be able to find a vet willing to treat your birds. I wish you and your birds all the best!! :)