• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi Everyone!

RockysMom

Meeting neighbors
My name is Livy and I have a 20 y/o B&G macaw named Rocky. I adopted him 2 months ago and I'm his 4th owner in just this past year. I don't know much about his past except his original owner passed away about 9 months ago. He was then bought by a woman who kept him in a small, rusty cage in her basement. She fed him low-quality food and didn't provide him with any toys or perches (not even a dowel). He's been adjusting very well considering everything he's been through. He loves to forage and says over 25 words and phrases. His wings were clipped when I got him but I'd love to flight-train him once he's done molting.

I also really love reptiles, especially skinks and North American colubrids. I currently have a blue tongue skink, corn snakes (I breed them), an argentine tegu, and a special needs common boa (he survived a house fire which left him blind and covered in burns). All my animals except for breeders are rescues. :heart::snake:

IMG_7205.jpeg IMG_7004.jpeg IMG_7205.jpeg

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He’s beautiful! :welcomegroup:

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For all he's been thru he looks good. Perhaps a little overweight maybe. His beak is a tiny bit long, not much, but chewing toys will wear it down naturally. I read thru a few of your other posts. Diet wise a good pellet & veggies. Macaws like to eat with their feet, so I'd offer some fresh veggies cut in chunks too. Note that sweet potatoes should be cooked & can be fed in chunks or mashed. I like to roast them in the oven. Peel, chunk, bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, turn over & bake another 10 minutes. 2 chunks a day with other veggies. You can keep them in the frig 3 days before they need tossed. Or you can nuke them a few minutes, then peel & chunk. Note they do cook fast in the microwave. My birds also like frozen mixed veggeis like peas, carrots, green beans. I just nuke about 4 cups 5 minutes, rinse in cold water to cool & drain. Macaws should also have some in-shell nuts like walnuts, almonds, pecans, etc. I like to feed wet foods in the morning & dry foods in the evening.

Does he have a cage? If not try to get the largest one you can afford. Add a swing, or boing, as macaws love to swing.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. He is gorgeous.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to tbe Avenue.
Rocky looks great considering what he's been through.
I'm so glad you got him out of that last environment
I'm sure he will thrive under your care.
I currently have my macaw on part seed, but lots of fresh veggies and some fruit as well as fruit pellets and regular pellets. (Harrison's and Zupreem) but there are other ones out there too.
He loves nuts in shell, but definitely pine nuts in shell are his favorite treat.
He is really gorgeous and I love your stand.:heart2:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Livy and Rocky! 1.welcome signs.gif

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcomegroup: Welcome, Livy!
I would love to see your corn snakes and your skink :)

Last edited:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Can I please see your tegu?

Man oh man do I miss having one. Amazing animals.

:hello1:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

RockysMom

Meeting neighbors
For all he's been thru he looks good. Perhaps a little overweight maybe. His beak is a tiny bit long, not much, but chewing toys will wear it down naturally. I read thru a few of your other posts. Diet wise a good pellet & veggies. Macaws like to eat with their feet, so I'd offer some fresh veggies cut in chunks too. Note that sweet potatoes should be cooked & can be fed in chunks or mashed. I like to roast them in the oven. Peel, chunk, bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, turn over & bake another 10 minutes. 2 chunks a day with other veggies. You can keep them in the frig 3 days before they need tossed. Or you can nuke them a few minutes, then peel & chunk. Note they do cook fast in the microwave. My birds also like frozen mixed veggeis like peas, carrots, green beans. I just nuke about 4 cups 5 minutes, rinse in cold water to cool & drain. Macaws should also have some in-shell nuts like walnuts, almonds, pecans, etc. I like to feed wet foods in the morning & dry foods in the evening.

Does he have a cage? If not try to get the largest one you can afford. Add a swing, or boing, as macaws love to swing.
He's being sedated at the vet in a few weeks to have his leg band removed and nails and beak trimmed. It was last trimmed about 6 weeks ago but he prefers toys that he doesn't have to chew like steel bells and measuring spoons, foraging toys, and newspaper stuffed in toilet paper rolls.

I feed him Zupreem Smart Selects mixed with chop for breakfast and TOPs for dinner. He's picky and usually just eats his favorite things in the Zupreem so I've started slowly cutting back on treats during the day and feeding him less Zupreem to try to get him to eat all of his food. It seems to be working because he now sometimes eats the green Zupreem pellets which he used to throw on the floor. I pick the dried fruit out of the Zupreem and put it in his foraging toys along with in-shell nuts, grapes, and small pieces of unsalted rice cake. He also really loves chicken and scrambled eggs but I limit that to a few small pieces a week. I'll try feeding him sweet potato tomorrow. I've given him carrots, peas, and steamed broccoli but he threw it all.

I recently bought him a 36"x48" cage which is the biggest I could find under $1k. He currently has two swings, four wood perches of varying diameters, a rope perch, and 5 toys. His cotton rope swing is his favorite but he chews on it which makes me nervous. I'll post a picture of his cage setup once I finish setting it up; I'd love feedback. I'm going to add a few toys and rearrange things so that he can easily get around more easily.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
View attachment 421659
Here's George right after a bath.
:arghh: he’s so gorgeous. How old is he? Have videos?

Please allow me to obsess over him in envy :loveshower: I desperately miss having one. Mine had ended up with a horrific cancerous mass on his tail and I had to euthanize, it was spreading too quickly to do anything for him.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's being sedated at the vet in a few weeks to have his leg band removed and nails and beak trimmed. It was last trimmed about 6 weeks ago but he prefers toys that he doesn't have to chew like steel bells and measuring spoons, foraging toys, and newspaper stuffed in toilet paper rolls.

I feed him Zupreem Smart Selects mixed with chop for breakfast and TOPs for dinner. He's picky and usually just eats his favorite things in the Zupreem so I've started slowly cutting back on treats during the day and feeding him less Zupreem to try to get him to eat all of his food. It seems to be working because he now sometimes eats the green Zupreem pellets which he used to throw on the floor. I pick the dried fruit out of the Zupreem and put it in his foraging toys along with in-shell nuts, grapes, and small pieces of unsalted rice cake. He also really loves chicken and scrambled eggs but I limit that to a few small pieces a week. I'll try feeding him sweet potato tomorrow. I've given him carrots, peas, and steamed broccoli but he threw it all.

I recently bought him a 36"x48" cage which is the biggest I could find under $1k. He currently has two swings, four wood perches of varying diameters, a rope perch, and 5 toys. His cotton rope swing is his favorite but he chews on it which makes me nervous. I'll post a picture of his cage setup once I finish setting it up; I'd love feedback. I'm going to add a few toys and rearrange things so that he can easily get around more easily.
Diet all sounds good. Try eating veggies in front of him or fake eat them. They often need to see food is safe to eat. Make ummm good sounds & then offer him some.

Once he chews the rope swing to the point it needs repaired you can wrap it with vet wrap. That should give more time before it's destroyed to the point it needs replaced. You should have perches close to food & water dishes, so he can sit & eat/drink.

I like to hang toys mostly close to the sides, as JaKhu (B&G Macaw) likes too hang by one toenail & flap her wings in her cage. Her swing is more in the middle. There are a couple toys she can reach from her swing, but the rest she has to climb around to get to. She has 3 hanging toys she also like to hang from. She spends a lot of time upside down & always has. I also have some toys hung close to the bottom, as she also likes to lay on her back & play & she has foot toys too.